PDA

View Full Version : New, I'm after some advice please - Tacloban

joshua100
26th March 2008, 17:52
Hi everyone, I have just discovered this great site. Lots of information and help. I am learning a lot about the philippines here. I've never been there or to asia and I wonder if anyone can advise me; I'm visiting Tacloban soon and am struggling to book a hotel. Usually, I use expedia or just book direct with a hotel chain. I can't seem to do this for Tacloban. I really want to push the boat out for this holiday and would like to stay in the most luxurious place in town. Can anyone help ? I have seen one or two places but the reviews are very poor

Thank you very much.

Joshua

walesrob
26th March 2008, 19:17
Hotel Alejandros in P. Paterno Street is the best in Tacloban in my opinion.

http://alejandro.tacloban.biz/index.html

Also take a look here we discussed Tacloban:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2460&highlight=alejandros

Leyte Park is supposed to be the best in town, and if you book the self-contained bungalows, they are great, but I would avoid that place like the rash - even locals dont like Leyte Park. Also consider MacArthur Beach Resort, but thats not technically in Tacloban but a few miles away. Welcome to the forum by the way!

joshua100
27th March 2008, 00:48
Hotel Alejandros in P. Paterno Street is the best in Tacloban in my opinion.

http://alejandro.tacloban.biz/index.html

Also take a look here we discussed Tacloban:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2460&highlight=alejandros

Leyte Park is supposed to be the best in town, and if you book the self-contained bungalows, they are great, but I would avoid that place like the rash - even locals dont like Leyte Park. Also consider MacArthur Beach Resort, but thats not technically in Tacloban but a few miles away. Welcome to the forum by the way!

Thanks for your help Rob

This will be my first trip. Is there any more advice you could give me about the city? How big is the city compared to say Birmingham? Is there much to do there? I'm a little nervous about the trip to be honest. Is it safe there?

Thanks again.

walesrob
29th March 2008, 18:41
Thanks for your help Rob

This will be my first trip. Is there any more advice you could give me about the city? How big is the city compared to say Birmingham? Is there much to do there? I'm a little nervous about the trip to be honest. Is it safe there?

Thanks again.

Hi Josh, sorry for the late reply..
Tacloban is much smaller than Brum!! As with everywhere else in Philippines,you need to keep your wits about you when out and about - its a safe place, but don't flash the cash or the bling. I've never felt threatned or unsafe, but watch out for the street kids in Tacloban, they are an annoyance, but ignore them.

As for what to do in Tacloban...
* Leyte Capitol Building
* Tacloban City Hall
* San Pedro Bay
* Price Mansion
* Redoņa Residence
* Tacloban Seaport
* Madonna of Japan

Places of Interest
* Sto. Niņo Shrine and Heritage Museum
* People's Center And Library
* San Juanico Bridge (we had a picnic under the bridge once!! Mud everywhere!!!)
* The Crucified Christ
* San Juanico Strait
* Family Park
* Sto. Niņo Church
* Plaza Rizal

The tourist information for Tacloban and Leyte is located I think next to Leyte Park Hotel.

Some pictures of Tacloban as a taster:
http://www.batch2006.com/visit_tacloban.htm

UPDATE: Also check out this website: http://www.taclobanhotels.com/

Its a pretty good website about Hotels in Tacloban in fact, its got everything you need to know about Tacloban! The Hotel Reviews Seems to confirm what I say about Leyte Park hotel falling apart!!

Have fun!

andypaul
29th March 2008, 18:50
Wow what a great website the batch 2006 one is gives you a real good idea of the place.

joshua100
31st March 2008, 07:47
Rob

Thank you so much for your reply. Those web sites are really great. And the second one is packed with everything, absolutely great. Thank you.

Have you spent much time in Tacloban? I usually pick up a car at the airport when I travel, but never been to Asia so not sure whether that's a good idea, what do you think?

Are vacinations required to go to Tacloban?

Thanks again for your help Rob

Joshua

tuft249
31st March 2008, 10:23
joshua i was went to tacloban for the first time last month.rented an apartment for 3weeks.i got around by jeepneys etc.i just took malaria tablets& had hepatitis A&typhoid combined& diphtheria&tetanus.have a good trip tuft

walesrob
31st March 2008, 21:07
joshua i was went to tacloban for the first time last month.rented an apartment for 3weeks.i got around by jeepneys etc.i just took malaria tablets& had hepatitis A&typhoid combined& diphtheria&tetanus.have a good trip tuft

Good advice there, but its not necessary, I didn't take any of those, and I've been back to Tacloban 5 times in 4 years.

Josh, you can get a air-con van from the airport to Tacloban - always plenty available on arrival. If you book with Alejandros, they will pick you up from the airport on request and return you to the airport. Leyte Park also do an airport service. I wouldn't bother hiring a car, the jeepneys go everywhere. Most of the hotels can arrange a car and driver anyway should you want to hire one for a day.

joshua100
31st March 2008, 22:33
Thanks guys.

I'm now booked in to the Alejandro. Sounds like booking a car (and driver !!) is a good idea from the hotel plus those jeepneys look really cool.

Thanks again

Joshua

jencha8569
14th April 2008, 13:28
Hi everyone, I have just discovered this great site. Lots of information and help. I am learning a lot about the philippines here. I've never been there or to asia and I wonder if anyone can advise me; I'm visiting Tacloban soon and am struggling to book a hotel. Usually, I use expedia or just book direct with a hotel chain. I can't seem to do this for Tacloban. I really want to push the boat out for this holiday and would like to stay in the most luxurious place in town. Can anyone help ? I have seen one or two places but the reviews are very poor

Thank you very much.

Joshua

hi Joshua,

im sis Jen from Tacloban. As what they say here i recommend hotel alejandro than Leyte Park Hotel(the most luxurious in Tacloban) because it is located on the center of downtown and transportation is easy by jeepneys or trycicle. My boyfriend stayed at Alejandro during his stay here very nice hotel and the staff too. Tacloban City is very safe place i fact one of the lowest in crime rates in Philippines. Dont worry u gonna be ok here in Tacloban. if u need help just ask

Happy trip

sis Jen

joshua100
16th April 2008, 00:07
sis Jen

Thank you very much for your message. It is very reassurring to know that your city is very safe. I have lots of questions, perhaps I can ask you? I hope you dont mind.

Thanks again

Josh

jencha8569
16th April 2008, 05:13
sis Jen

Thank you very much for your message. It is very reassurring to know that your city is very safe. I have lots of questions, perhaps I can ask you? I hope you dont mind.

Thanks again

Josh

ur welcome

yes you can ask of course

Piamed
16th April 2008, 11:54
I found the Leyte park hotel very nice actually.