PDA

View Full Version : work permit dependent visa for my wife granted!!!

gadgets
26th April 2008, 12:59
my wife's visa has been granted!!! :BouncyHappy: :BouncyHappy: :BouncyHappy:

she submitted the forms in Makati back in April 16 and she received her passport with the visa in it today via courier :D :D :D no interview and it did not seem to warrant all the stress. she woke me up this morning screaming and laughing and so very exited, it definitely got my day started right :cwm12:

i am so happy and at the same time scared, exited, worried and happy... we will finally be together after three and half years of being together (courting to marriage) but so far away (just saw each other a few weeks a year).

we are hoping that she will get here by mid may, this way i can take a week off from work to help her acclimatize and enjoy each others company.

kimmi
26th April 2008, 13:01
well done, Gadgets..Goodluck to ur new life together..:)

Sconnie
26th April 2008, 13:16
Well done Gadget best wishes from me and Vanessa.

Vanessa and I married last month and are now going through preparations for applying for a spouse visa, could i ask you for advise please any would be gratefully received. your application seams to have gone through very quickly did you submit everything yourselves ?
What documents do you suggest submitting ?
should Vanessa renew her passport before applying for her visa ?

kimmi
26th April 2008, 13:19

Vanessa and I married last month and are now going through preparations for applying for a spouse visa, could i ask you for advise please any would be gratefully received. your application seams to have gone through very quickly did you submit everything yourselves ?

visa applications should be submitted personally..if Vanessa's passport is expired already, I guess it will be better to renew it before she apply..IMHO.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sconnie
26th April 2008, 13:21
her passport is valid for a couple of years but is it better to be renewed in her married name before visa application

kimmi
26th April 2008, 13:26
oh u mean passport ammendment..it depends if ur not rushing to apply for her visa and have some time left in ur hands..

u can read this one, hope it helps..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=5697&highlight=changing+visa

Sconnie
26th April 2008, 13:27
We want to be quick but sure that all documentation is as required.

alicat
26th April 2008, 13:32
well done gadgets...

Sconnie
26th April 2008, 13:36
Thanks Kimmi.

kimmi
26th April 2008, 13:39
Thanks Kimmi.

u're always welcome Mate..just keep on posting and reading some experiences everything will surely be ok..:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sconnie
26th April 2008, 13:49
i hope so kimmi i realy miss my girl my Wife

jencha8569
26th April 2008, 13:58

she submitted the forms in Makati back in April 16 and she received her passport with the visa in it today via courier :D :D :D no interview and it did not seem to warrant all the stress. she woke me up this morning screaming and laughing and so very exited, it definitely got my day started right :cwm12:

i am so happy and at the same time scared, exited, worried and happy... we will finally be together after three and half years of being together (courting to marriage) but so far away (just saw each other a few weeks a year).

we are hoping that she will get here by mid may, this way i can take a week off from work to help her acclimatize and enjoy each others company.

wow:BouncyHappy: that was quick congrats. hope u and ur wife have happy times together. really nice i am happy for both of you

best wishes

jencha8569
26th April 2008, 14:01

hello sconnie

just do what sis kimmi said more posting and more reading. it will surely helps
my bf and i planning to get married this year and we too getting spouse visa soon. i myself is here to learn more:xxgrinning--00xx3:

goodluck

Piamed
26th April 2008, 14:08
Well done. Congrats!

T

andypaul
26th April 2008, 14:23
her passport is valid for a couple of years but is it better to be renewed in her married name before visa application

Get it done might add a month or so but if your wifes passport is in her married name and the full ten years. It will save you some hassle once in the Uk and if you travel. If your Wife also vists the cfo before the visa app, all she then needs to do other the visa granted is pop in for a stamp from the cfo which is just a routine thing.

Others have mentioned that when passports are admended sometimes passport control need to :Erm: for a while which is not nice.

Far easier if using for ID in the UK if in married name imo.

Also a little extra mark i would thik with the visa people saying your wife has commited to changin her name. Not that she has to.

andypaul
26th April 2008, 14:24

Congrats to you both:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gadgets
26th April 2008, 14:29

Hi Sconnie - she did all the legwork on the application, what helped us was the check list in www.vfs-uk-ph.com. Applying for a workpermit dependent seems to require less documentation compared to a spouse visa. All that was required from me were:

copy of pages of my passport
evidence the sponsor can support the visa applicant financially - originaly bank statment and pension statements
evidence the sponsor has adequate accomodation - copy of mortgage document or letter from landlord if renting
recent pay slips and written correspondence from your sponsor's employer confirming their current contract of employement
evidence that sponsor and visa applicant have remained in contact during sponsor's absences - copy of telephone bills, letter envelopes and so on

The original documents I sent via DHL, the copies I just scanned and emailed to her.

The form used was VAF2 (I think it is VAF4 for the spouses). The copy of the marriage certificate has to be on the National Statistics Office (NSO) if the marriage took place in the Philippines.

The visa payment if made over the counter (Metrobank, Standard Chartered Bank, Banco de Oro or BPI) has to a day before the appointment, the other payment option is a manager's chequemade payable to British Embassy.

Definitely book an appointment in www.vfs-uk-ph.com.

Backread on the previous threads as there has been a number of couples that have gone through what you are going through now.

With regards to the passport, two years remaining on her passport is more than enough (they require a passport that is valid for at least 6 months). Keep in mind though that if you need to transfer the visa to a new passport, that will cost:

Transfer of visa to a new passport - form NTLOC
Postal application: £160
Application in person at public enquiry office: £500 :omg:
Since she can apply for her ILR in one year, eleven months and two days after she has entered UK, there won't be any need to have the first visa transferred.

There was an earlier thread with regards to the visa dates, make sure that the date of the visa is as close to the departure date so that you do not have to pay for a visa extension.

Good luck and all the best on your application.

Sconnie
26th April 2008, 14:30
OK thanks AndyPaul, we are eager to be together though

gadgets
26th April 2008, 14:41
Thank you all!!! Now I have to start getting my flat ready for the wife:

get rid of the dead plants
buy more bed sheets
get rid of the clutter
DEEP CLEAN everything
rent a carpet cleaner
and the list has just started

:Brick: :bigcry: :Help1: :doh

has there been any threads discussing ways of setting the wife's expectations with life in the UK? I have started telling her about hanging laundry in the hallway, have not told her yet on how small the fridge/freezer, I think she is already aware that there's more walking over here.

I want to make sure her transition is as smooth and painless as possible. one possitive thing is that the weather has started to turn slightly for the better, at least she is not arriving here in winter :D

Sconnie
26th April 2008, 14:51
Thanks very much gadgets, wish you and yours many yars of happiness

steprose
26th April 2008, 15:44
What a good news! Good luck and God bless.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
26th April 2008, 16:10
OK thanks AndyPaul, we are eager to be together though

who isn't or wasn't, but worth investigating

Saving time in phill only to spend the first few months carrying on sorting paperwork is not a great start trust me.

After all the effort of the application only to find you have so many things to sort once in the UK is like finishing a run and realising you have to run back to the start :NoNo:

andypaul
26th April 2008, 16:24
Thank you all!!! Now I have to start getting my flat ready for the wife:

get rid of the dead plants
buy more bed sheets
get rid of the clutter
DEEP CLEAN everything
rent a carpet cleaner
and the list has just started
:Brick: :bigcry: :Help1: :doh

has there been any threads discussing ways of setting the wife's expectations with life in the UK? I have started telling her about hanging laundry in the hallway, have not told her yet on how small the fridge/freezer, I think she is already aware that there's more walking over here.

I want to make sure her transition is as smooth and painless as possible. one possitive thing is that the weather has started to turn slightly for the better, at least she is not arriving here in winter :D

Can't think of a list but thinsg to bear in mind is checking you have the cheapest way of calling home.

When i was calling my wife on the landline it was all ways the evening or weekend. we used a local number to call a cheap internatiol calls service. Of course the Wife rang during the day and suddenly the phone bill shot up. Quickly changed bt package to free calls all day though problem over. Apart from the wife sometimes might call for just over an hour suddenly the call cost as calls were free up to an hour.
Also the wife once pressed the wrong button combination and dial phill on a mobile at full price:omg: luckily we had a special international saver package set up on it to reduce slighty.

But worth just making sure that the Wife is aware of all these little things.

another is ensuring she is aware about pin code security at atms ie covering up when entering pin with hand to stop any cameras taking the number down.

Simple things we all picked up one at a time but a real headache when your confront with all of them at once.

Understanding to say no thanks when offered store cards in shops.
Being offered free money and discounts is common in shops (we blokes probably look to grumpy to even try and convince but a fillpina new to the country not wanting to sound rude could possibly be easy prey. Not understanding all about credit and implications.

Again when opening a bank account make sure yourself or a person au fait with the british banking system goes along. My wife was offered overdrafts and credit cards although we accept the smallest for both to set up a credit history for her. We declined some of the other offers made they even offered her a loan:omg: and regularly do on the phone now she knows to say thanks but no thanks.

Also worth ensuring she knows the local area nearby, and where is safe and not safe at various times of the day.

mavid
26th April 2008, 17:02
COngratulations Gadgets!!

LEAHnew
27th April 2008, 10:55
:xxgrinning--00xx3:Congrats!:Hellooo::Hellooo:

IainBusby
28th April 2008, 08:41
Congratulations Gadgets. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Louella & Iain.

KeithD
28th April 2008, 09:03
to help her acclimatize and enjoy each others company.
NOOOOOOO :censored: American words :cwm24:

Piamed
28th April 2008, 12:54
NOOOOOOO :censored: American words :cwm24:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

gadgets
28th April 2008, 13:06
old habits die hard, the stars and stripes has been so ingrained that replacing the evil imperialist mindset with the benovelent colonialist attitude can take decades :D :doh :Erm:

oh hell, no idea which is which now. shucks, golly, erm... :Erm: or is it evil colonialist and benovelent imperialist :Brick: :Erm:

cheers m8 :BouncyHappy:

Piamed
28th April 2008, 13:27
Perhaps fundamentally evil and capitalistically benevolent.....:D

T

keithAngel
28th April 2008, 13:48
Perhaps fundamentally evil and capitalistic

T

thats more like it I think the other word is just smoke

skysky
3rd May 2008, 05:54
Can't think of a list but thinsg to bear in mind is checking you have the cheapest way of calling home.

When i was calling my wife on the landline it was all ways the evening or weekend. we used a local number to call a cheap internatiol calls service. Of course the Wife rang during the day and suddenly the phone bill shot up. Quickly changed bt package to free calls all day though problem over. Apart from the wife sometimes might call for just over an hour suddenly the call cost as calls were free up to an hour.
Also the wife once pressed the wrong button combination and dial phill on a mobile at full price:omg: luckily we had a special international saver package set up on it to reduce slighty.

But worth just making sure that the Wife is aware of all these little things.

another is ensuring she is aware about pin code security at atms ie covering up when entering pin with hand to stop any cameras taking the number down.

Simple things we all picked up one at a time but a real headache when your confront with all of them at once.

Understanding to say no thanks when offered store cards in shops.
Being offered free money and discounts is common in shops (we blokes probably look to grumpy to even try and convince but a fillpina new to the country not wanting to sound rude could possibly be easy prey. Not understanding all about credit and implications.

Again when opening a bank account make sure yourself or a person au fait with the british banking system goes along. My wife was offered overdrafts and credit cards although we accept the smallest for both to set up a credit history for her. We declined some of the other offers made they even offered her a loan:omg: and regularly do on the phone now she knows to say thanks but no thanks.

Also worth ensuring she knows the local area nearby, and where is safe and not safe at various times of the day.

No need to pay for any calls to PH, if the family at home have dsl (maybe suggest the 999php package only a few hundred php ontop of the line rental) get a voip router and standard handset phone, register with sipgate and you can she can call home free of charge anytime, on a local uk dialling code !!

thats what we have :-)

chino
7th May 2008, 22:01
congrats!