PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Infamous Swindler

flomike
20th May 2008, 22:27
Not so long ago, i get to mingle with millionares. They’re maybe rich but their lives are full of ****! Maybe because they engaged themselves in fraudulent scheme for making a quick profit.

Internet scams and fraudulent transactions is currently unbeatable. Even Philippine Law don’t have the jurisdiction about it. REPUBLIC ACT NO. 8792 (AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE RECOGNITION AND USE OF ELECTRONIC COMMERCIAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS AND DOCUMENTS, PENALTIES FOR UNLAWFUL USE THEREOF AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES) does not even specifically mentioned about internet scams and their corresponding penalties. This in turn aggravated the culprits’ confidence of doing the same scam over and over again.

I met Kim ( not his real name) at the school canteen. After several texts and calls, he finally decided to walk me through the process of the business that sends him to college. At first glance you can’t tell that Kim had been veteran in this crap. He admitted to me that at times, fears overcomes his spine everytime he goes to the nearest internet cafe beside his apartment. He usually does weeks before examinations.

Kim is a reflection of poverty. Though he can now afford to buy branded apparels, it still shows that he came from a poor family. His father is a tricycle driver and her mother is a plain housewife. He had seven other siblings and as the eldest, his parents are expecting too much from him. He usually visits our office before, to have his Exam permit signed after having passed the 20% discount the school offered. But lately, he refrained from doing such because his scholarship has ended after he flunked on his english class. Driven by his will to finish college to appease his parents from poverty, Kim decided to search for money that would help him earn a degree. And unfortunately, he wanted it quick and instant!

Method

After some drinks, Kim invited me to go with him in the nearest cafe to give me an idea how he’d done it. After logging in to his EURO.COM account, he immediately checked some messages on his inbox. There were plenty of them. He was even so generous to have me read some of his mails. Few are Hi’s and How are you’s and most of which are “i’m interested in you”. I asked him to show me his picture on the profile and i was shocked to see how foreigners would most likely liked his catchy pictures. According to him he just took the picture of a woman in her early 20’s from Friendster. Who would expect that the person behind those female picture is actually a man?

I was about to get my prepared questions for the interview when something pop ups the screen. It was a chat server. Someone from Texas wants to talk to him. Kim talked to a man named Karlis. As i go over Karlis’ profile, i found out that he just ended his previous marriage and is now looking for an internet wife. I noticed that the two had a different bonding. I later learned that Karlis was already his boyfriend.

It was a week before exam, and Kim told me he badly needed money to pay for the tuition and Karlis’ online status is so timely for him. He told Karlis that his lola was in the hospital and he needed to consolidate the hospital bills. Without a second thought (maybe) Karlis immediately promised him to send a hundred dollar. Kim was so happy and i was still shocked. I couldn’t believe it. I just can’t believe that some foreigners could be easily fooled by some petty dramas and alibis! After half an hour of waiting, Karlis got online again and gave him the control number for the hundred dollar to be pulled out from Western Union.

MC: Are you not afraid na baka malaman ‘nyang lalaki ka?

Kim: Hindi naman. Madali lang naman eh. Magpapalit lang ako ng account at picture at back to start na uli ako.

MC: Do you always get money from people who get to know you?

Kim: Minsan yung iba sasabihin sayo na bibigyan ka lang ng pera pag haharap sa camera at maghubad ka. Pag ganun ang usapan di ko na papatulan kasi mga manloloko yun.

MC: What if nag rerequest ’sya na makita ka on cam?

Kim: Usually they did. Pero i always had a chance to give them reasons for not doing so. Minsan sasabihin ko nawala yung kuryente or sometimes walang bakante sa internet cafe.

MC: How much was the lowest amount you got?

Kim: Lowest was 40 USD para sa cam. Gusto kasi nya na mag cam ako ang sabi ko it will cost him that amount. The biggest so far was 1500 USD as show money sana sa US Embassy.

MC: Hu-What?

Kim: Opo. Sabi nya gusto daw nya akong pakasalan sa States. He send me money for Visa processing, for the tickets and for show money. Nung pinadala ‘nya yan and sabi ko final interview ko na sa embassy and i need to have show money kaya ‘yun.

MC: May napundar ka ba sa money na natanggap mo?

Kim: Binili ko si papa ng bagong motor pampasada. Si mama naman ay maliit na sari-sari store. The rest was deposited at repair sa bahay. Nakabili rin ako ng ibang gamit tsaka cellphone. At higit sa lahat nagpaenrol ako sa college.

MC: What will you tell them pag tinatanong ka kung bakit hindi ka pa pumunta sa states?

Kim: Sinasabi ko naloko ako ng illegal fixer. Sinasabi ko peke pala Visa ko at passport. Pagkatapos nun delete ko na account ko at email ko.

MC: This is a personal question, naniniwala ka ba sa karma?

Kim: OO naman! Minsan nga pinagdadasal ko lagi na sana makarecover yung nakachat ko after the incident. Nagdadasal din ako para sa sarili ko at pamilya ko.

MC: How do you convince them to send you money?

Kim: Pag may relasyon na kami, yun email email na lang. Kamustahan tapos drama na agad. Minsan may sakit or gusto kong bumili ng gamit. Ganun lang. Lalambingin mo lang sa chat ok na sila agad.

MC: What if ma trace ka ng ka chat mo through the transaction you made in western union?

Kim: Imposible! gamit ko kasi ibang pangalan sa chat. So kung hahanapin man nila yun di pa rin nila makilala. I used my picture with different name. Tsaka friends ko na rin mga tao sa Western. HEhehe

MC: If given a chance to change things, what will it be and why?

Kim: Ayokong maghirap gusto ko yumaman. Kapit lang talaga ako sa patalim kasi wala talaga akong ibang resources. Di naman ako pwedeng mag colboy. At least with this crap, nakakatulong ako sa pamilya ko.

MC: What is your message to readers out there?

Kim: Wag ‘nyo akong gayahin. Alam ko na masama ang ginagawa ko. Pero wag ‘nyo akong husgahan. Promise ko sa sarili ko na pag nakatapos na ako sa pag-aaral ko ititigil ko na to.

It was sad to note that because of this crap, Pinay’s image may be at risk. There are dating sites where Filipinas are banned due to scams and swindling. Not just for Filipina women but for Filipinos in general.

I’ve learned that Kim is not alone in his crap! I later found out that women, gays and lesbians are also doing the same thing.

I can’t blame Kim or some other Mario or Marla or Judas doing the same scam. According to famous Filipino adage “walang manloloko kung walang magpapaloko”. But we should always keep in mind that whatever we do, we should be ready to face whatever consequence possible. Kim knew about his legal and spiritual responsibilities and i understand what he’s been through.

Nonetheless, the ends doesn’t justify the means!

Note: I tried calling Kim’s number but it was out of reach. I learned from a common friend that he became a drug addict and had dropped from school. Whether you call it karma or bad luck, i ask for your prayers to save one soul from misery!

Definition of Terms

Chat

Chat or online real time conversation had been evolving in fast pace since it was conceived in August 1988. Internet Relay Chat or simply chat became a byword for instant online conversation for nearly two decades. Through this, we get the chance to talk to anybody in Paris, America, Asia, Africa and Japan all at the same time! Amazing isn’t it? (We will go further about the effects of chat as we move forward).

Online Dating sites

The rise of online dating sites plays a major role in making the crime possible. All members of the society has specific dating sites. If you are gaymen or transvestites, Gay.com or Guys4men is for you. If you are a man looking for woman, Matchtrust or Mate1 is for you. Those were just examples of dating sites. It is sad to note however that some men and women settle for online dating sites to find for their partners. On the lighter side of the story, few romantic internet relationship ended up in marriage.

Account

Not a typical bank account but may also be one. Account is coined for the profile created on the dating sites. Most swindler creates a dummy account with different names and different adresses and uses pictures of showbiz personalities to entice foreigners. Assunta de Rossi, Roxan Guinoo, and Ara Mina are some of the few whose pictures are used as models.

Western Union

A company for wiring money from person to person all over the world with over 170,000 locations or outlets worldwide. Money sent over WU can be easily pulled out by showing identification cards.

Identification Cards

Drivers License, company ID’s or school ID used to collect money from Western Union. This ID can sometimes be made in Recto. In most fraudulent transactions, ID’s are named after the names used on their account or profile on dating sites to establish consistency

aposhark
21st May 2008, 01:37
Just another reason to get over to the Phils asap to see what is really going on with your own eyes.

I can't for the life of me understand why people send money to someone they've never met personally. :yikes:

As Pete makes a point on his excellent site, just be careful with the bar girls (you have to have strong willpower) and hopefully you will meet a nice lady there (if that is your inclination).

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/aposhark/CybersexReality.jpg