PDA

View Full Version : about asthma...

islander
21st May 2008, 15:08
hi everyone!

just want to ask those persons who are asthmatic, if ever they are still suffering from it since they arrived in UK... just want to hear your experience about it.

Thanks ahead for sharing your experience!

bornatbirth
21st May 2008, 15:53
we have astma here too,im sorry to say.

just go to your local gp and get some treatment!

just being in the uk wont stop it? lol

marylen
21st May 2008, 16:10
hello Islander....Actually on my own i don't have any experience regarding with that NOR i never been to UK yet...I just share some of my knowledge based of my own family experience.

Okay.... my grandmother do have an asthma but she is not born asthmatic , she just got it when one time she was having an accident a year ago and yet until now she was suffering that kind of . Shes at age 79 at this point although she was been into rescue for so many times that she was been in and out to hospital moreover.

To make the long story short, her daughter (mom sister) decided to get her out in phils and decided to migrate in USA for we all thought that colder place is much more better for her to cure the asthma...but on the other way around....it goes more complicated it won't help any. And yes she was been in states two times in a row, as what what my grandma said she doesn't feel like the cold and not comfortable to stay there for long due to her asthma problem.

Every now and then....she has a medication to cure that everytime her astma attack, she use a liquid kind of thing to put in a tube and inhale it using an electric nebulizer.... but if it goes more and if she feel she can't handle anymore thats the time she needs to send back n forth to hospital but at least it do help to minimize. She uses "nebule" and maintain it and always be right in her side at any time of the day/night as you will never know when the asthma attack, that cost 18 peso for one but she uses more than twice or more each day............

thank you and hope it gives u an idea...

Pepe n Pilar
21st May 2008, 16:24
An asthma is a form of allergy. It can be due to dust, too cold or too hot climate, food or cosmetics. My Aunt who has an asthma left the Phils went to the U.S.A at age 20 and live there permanently and since then she never had the attack. Some has it at age 2 or less and it can be cured before he/she reaches the age of 7 and has to be involved in sports and has the regular medication as well. My niece (10 yrs old) has an asthma of the skin so she uses hypoallergenic soap and body lotion. I have a lady friend who frequently suffers asthma but she has with her the portable nebulizer and sprays it to her mouth everytime she feels uncomfortable.

KeithD
21st May 2008, 17:18
You need to live outside of cities, to get away from the toxic micro-particles from exhaust fumes which can trigger it.

Sangoma
21st May 2008, 17:44
I have had asthma since I was 3, and to be honest, the climate doesn't seem to have much to do with it.
If I have a chest infection, then the cold is uncomfortable, and if it is very hot (38C+) then the heat is uncomfortable if I have asthma.

It has been far easier to control in the UK, and my asthma has been far milder since being back here.

Th air quality is in fact fairly good in the UK normally, because of wind and the surrounding sea.

Allergies are caused by proteins, so you can't be alergic to hot or cold, but temperature and smoke etc can trigger asthma, which is not always due to allergies.

Stress can cause asthma, as can exercise (good excuse :))

I find that the propellant in the inhalers supplied by the NHS makes me cough, so I buy them abroad (cheaper than the prescription charge including airmail anyway) where the non-CFC free ones are still easily available.

There are often underlying causes for adults that may not be obvious (ie heartburn) so it is worth seeing the doctor. The doctors here can tick a lot of target boxes for treating asthma, so if they are not helping, let them know.

islander
22nd May 2008, 14:57
thanks so much for sharing your ideas & experience!

my asthma is mainly caused by allergies like smoke & dust, so with hot weather. I also have nebulizer at home which im going to use in case i wont be relieved by the anti-asthma tablet prescribed by my physician.

based on what you guys have shared, i then have to prepare myself when i'll be in UK soon, think i'll just have to bring my nebulizer just in case my asthma attacks again.

thanks again guys! you're really bring me some enlightenment! :)

Piamed
22nd May 2008, 15:31
hi everyone!

just want to ask those persons who are asthmatic, if ever they are still suffering from it since they arrived in UK... just want to hear your experience about it.

Thanks ahead for sharing your experience!
Hi Islander. That you are asking if people are still suffering with asthma when here shows that you are thinking that perhaps the triggers that cause your asthma in da Phils or your home city may not be present in the UK. Actually, you are right in principle.

You mentioned dust as a trigger of your asthma. We have dust here also but as you rightly assume, its constituents may be dissimilar to those in da phils.

One thing you should be aware of is that many people from warmer climes experience hay fever when in the 'West'. Hay fever is a seasonal condition, sometimes referred to as 'seasonal allergic rhinitis'. Hay fever sufferers, such as myself, are allergic to pollen and spores, primarily during the summer months. Pollen is the tiny, dust-like particles given off by certain types of trees, grasses, weeds and flowers. Spores are given off by fungi and moulds.

If you have an allergy to the pollen or spores here, as soon as you inhale them, or if they get into your eyes, they irritate the sensitive linings of your nose, throat and eyes and can cause sneezing, itchy, blocked or runny nose, red, itchy or watery eyes, itchy throat, inner ear or mouth, headaches and/or asthma.

Nebulisers can help with with hay fever, asthma and allergic rhinitis. The break-through symptom inhalers used in asthma can, under the guidance of a qualified pharmacist or physician, be used to alleviate symptoms of the other conditions, should you experience them. Note that some of the newer anti-asthma drugs available here are unavailable in da Phils and may also control your response and symptoms more effectively.

Good luck!

islander
22nd May 2008, 15:39
hi piamed!

thanks so much for your informations! actually, i have an idea about hay fever & its causes coz my hubby told me so, but i dont know if i'm allergic to it & how will it affect me in the future. well, its better to be prepared then before its too late!

thanks again!

Piamed
22nd May 2008, 15:42
Absolutely! While you are awaiting your visa approval you should continue to relax as you are have been doing as stress is a key trigger for asthma.