PDA

View Full Version : Visa and Mastercard

Sangoma
30th May 2008, 11:04
Are they generally accepted in the Philippines, and what kind of placs would they not be accepted where one might expect them to be.

Piamed
30th May 2008, 11:22
Yes they are, especially visa. the only problems I had were with Chip and Pin on my Visa debit Card. Some places had problems with my card. PCI Equitable machines were ok. Manila and other big cities such as Cebu, CdO and Davao should be OK but in smaller ones I never knew where my card would work and where it would not until I tried it. Can be embarrassing! Hotels and larger restaurants and stores should be ok. Cinemas also.

On one occasion it turned out my bank had put a stop on the Debit Card as they thought it was being used fraudulently since I had been to several countries over a short time frame. You might contact your bank prior to going to avoid that.

tomm
30th May 2008, 12:01
You might contact your bank prior to going to avoid that.

Visa is fine :xxgrinning--00xx3: Yes, tell your bank.. and make sure they know when you are back. If you have online banking, there may be a facility to do it there... I know you can with Barclays :)

joebloggs
30th May 2008, 13:11
i never used my credit or debitcard in the phils, as i don't think they have chip n pin, and i wouldn't want my card details skimmed or stolen, i've had my barclay card used in china !! and that was while i was in the uk :yikes:

IainBusby
30th May 2008, 13:32
Are they generally accepted in the Philippines, and what kind of placs would they not be accepted where one might expect them to be.

Just make sure you inform your bank and credit card companies, otherwise they're sure to put a stop on them as soon as you use them in Phils.

Iain.

Sim11UK
30th May 2008, 16:47
I've just informed my Bank, the dates I will be in the Phils.
I think I saw it on the tv programme Watchdog? That your Banks computer, may put a stop to you using them, even after you have told them.

You need to make sure, you have their telephone no. so you can sort it out, if you do come a cropper.

allington
30th May 2008, 20:11
Visa is accepted without problems in Manila...used chip n pin there six months ago. I found that Travellers Cheques were problematical though

chino
30th May 2008, 21:29
Visa - debit or credit no problems though i wish i had a switch at times..

jonnijon
31st May 2008, 05:04
Im just back from Davao and Tagum City,and found Visa accepted a lot more now than it was a few years ago,even some small stores now take Visa.