PDA

View Full Version : visa required for travel to DUBLIN?

rosedave07
2nd June 2008, 22:39
Good days everyone..

I have a ILR (residence permit) do i need a visa going to DUBLIN only for one day.

Need help

Thank you

darren-b
3rd June 2008, 07:54
You should apply for a visa.

"A separate visa is required for holders of UK visas who wish to travel to the Republic of Ireland, including UK visa holders resident in Northern Ireland. You should not attempt to travel to Ireland from any part of Great Britain and Northern Ireland without a valid Irish visa. If you attempt to do so, you may be stopped on arrival, refused entry and have a visa warning entered on your passport."

KeithD
3rd June 2008, 09:06
However, if you sail to Belfast and drive there, no border whatsoever :Erm: ......I've never known anyone to be stopped on the UK to Irish ferries. You should still have one though. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
3rd June 2008, 09:34
yes boss keith is right,i went in republic of ireland to visit my sister in law there flew to belfast and drive to donegall and buncrana

rosedave07
3rd June 2008, 12:04
We actually going to the ferry for a day trip. It is ok without a visa? or no one will stop me to go there?

LittleFingers
5th June 2008, 22:50
We actually going to the ferry for a day trip. It is ok without a visa? or no one will stop me to go there?

Hi
- i wouldn't bother going to Dublin at all, as it is a very expensive place, full of foreigners!
Go to Belfast - much less expensive where you can experience "Irish" hospitality...
good luck!

JAMZ
6th June 2008, 00:57
You should apply for a Visa....

I had embarrassing experience there before, went there by car from Belfast and there were police officers who waived on us and asked us to stop the car...thought we were overspeeding; they asked for our passports and when found that we didnt have a Visa, we were brought to the immigration office, our names were noted...with matching picture taking!!!

In the end, we were allowed to pass by as long as we will return... We showed them our B&B booking for just one whole day as proof that we would only stay there for one day...

There's no border, yes, but there are certain points along the road where they park their automobiles and do random checking...

Going there w/o visa by train and bus is a No-no...

Although, I like Dublin more because it is a multi-cultural city unlike Belfast (sorry Littlefingers, hehe)... When I first stepped in to Belfast, the feeling was really aweful... it's a boring place and very small...

telford
6th June 2008, 01:32
nice post!

Banana
6th June 2008, 03:04
By treaty between the UK and ROI there are no border checks or customs or immigration between the two countries, There were/are Special Branch when you get off the ferry but their job is/was solely looking for terrorists.

Do you need a visa: No
Should you get one: No idea

JAMZ
6th June 2008, 21:57
Europeans don't need a visa... Non-EUs must have if they want to go to Dublin... That's based from my experience last year and that still holds as I have spoken to many Filipinos who go to Dublin every month. Buses, private cars and trains are randomly checked...

A lot of British and Irish people argued with me that we didnt need a Visa so I listened to them and they were surprised and shocked when I returned bringing my embarrassing story...and my story belied what they thought. I should have won £1000 in the bet if I just accepted their offer...

vbkelly
7th June 2008, 10:32
sorry to hear that jamz, so i was lucky then i've been there twice

kimmi
7th June 2008, 18:14
Europeans don't need a visa... Non-EUs must have if they want to go to Dublin... That's based from my experience last year and that still holds as I have spoken to many Filipinos who go to Dublin every month. Buses, private cars and trains are randomly checked...

A lot of British and Irish people argued with me that we didnt need a Visa so I listened to them and they were surprised and shocked when I returned bringing my embarrassing story...and my story belied what they thought. I should have won £1000 in the bet if I just accepted their offer...

sorry to hear about it JAMZ..and thank u for advising us and sharing ur story..
how are u and ur family?? hope to hear from u soon..:Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3: