PDA

View Full Version : 42 Days Detention Vote

KeithD
11th June 2008, 13:10
If I was arrested for terrorism by mistake and held for 42 days.....I wouldn't have a problem, as at least you know the authorities are trying to protect others.

walesrob
11th June 2008, 19:05
Well, the government got its way, but not by democratic means. Never mind Gordon, the Lords will throw it out. Then hopefully, Gordon, you'll be thrown out as well.

keithAngel
11th June 2008, 19:16
Its a slippery slope and in my view no one should be held for these amounts of time without independent review of the state of the investigation

I heard this morning on the bbc that of the 4 cases that got to 27 days 2 of them could have been charged at 4 and 12 days respectively.

It is the crown prosecution that decides on whether there is enough evidence and if there is enough to arrest then 28 days is more than adequate to develop this by the police and security agencies.

This is not new internment in ulster was also tried and the effect can be to politicise folk that would not have otherwise have got involved

Plus liberties and safeguards once lost are hard to regain I for one don't think the risks are worth the cost.

Besides what would we do without you boss? maybe that should be a new thread