PDA

View Full Version : Caregiver salary in London?

ManilaDavid
19th June 2008, 08:03
Hi everybody,

I like to find out the caregiver salary in London, that care homes pays? Diploma is from a 6 months caregiver course made in the Philippines.

Thank you!
ManilaDavid

David House
19th June 2008, 10:35
The hourly rate is now around £7.50 but first you need a work permit and they are pretty impossible to obtain these days. A caregivers certificate is not going to be enough for the UK. In fact we are currently returning senior carers from the Philippines at the end of their contracts, not recruiting new ones.

ManilaDavid
19th June 2008, 11:25
Thank you for your answer David House!

The person will soon marry a British citizen, so the work permit should be no problem. I just wonder how fast a Filipio caregiver can finde a full time employment in London?

Best regards
ManilaDavid

joebloggs
19th June 2008, 11:57
The hourly rate is now around £7.50 but first you need a work permit and they are pretty impossible to obtain these days. A caregivers certificate is not going to be enough for the UK. In fact we are currently returning senior carers from the Philippines at the end of their contracts, not recruiting new ones.

rate could even be lower than that depending on where you go, even £6 an hour in some parts of the uk..

In fact we are currently returning senior carers from the Philippines at the end of their contracts, not recruiting new ones.

you work or own a care home David :Erm: or are you talking about the uk in general ?

David House
19th June 2008, 13:22
I don't own one now but I used to. My business is now at the other end of the age range. I own a kids nursery! The guy specifically asked about London but I agree that in other parts of the UK it will be lower, down to the minimum wage of £5.52 in some places.
You should also remember that you will not be allowed to work during the first 6 months of your time in the UK but after that finding work should not be a problem, although she will probably be expected to enrole for NVQ (National Vocational Qualification) training which is "on the job" plus some spare time study. I used to bring over care assistants from the Philippines so have a little experience of this, albeit a few years out of date.

joebloggs
19th June 2008, 14:05
yes i can see many places paying the minimum wage :NoNo:

hmm which is the better money maker :Erm: kids nursery or old timers home :D

what do you charge a week ?
full time nursery where i'm is about £125 for 8hr day, 5 days aweek

but i send little joe to a baby minder and pay £85 for 5hrs a day, 5 days aweek, mainly becuase we have used her for years.

while old timers home, well is around the £430+ a week,

well if care homes are not renewing their contracts many must be forced back home to the phils :NoNo:, as its 5yrs in the UK to get ILR on a workpermit..
a warning to those who want to come here, in some cases if the home is sold, your workpermit maybe come invalid, and you might have to go back to the phils ..

ManilaDavid
19th June 2008, 15:13
I didn't know that a Filipina must wait for 6 months, untill she can start to work, also good to know about the National Vocational Qualification. Thanks, for the information!

£430+ a week, would be fine for my baby.

Best regards
ManilaDavid

joebloggs
19th June 2008, 18:34
filipina must wait 6 months to work :Erm:

only if your on a fiancee visa :Erm: once you have flr you can work..

spouse you can work straight away..

kimmi
19th June 2008, 18:46
I didn't know that a Filipina must wait for 6 months, untill she can start to work,

Best regards
ManilaDavid

:Erm::Erm::Erm::NoNo::NoNo::omg: only if she's holding a fiancee visa

David House
19th June 2008, 18:54
You will do well to find a nursery for £125 these days. We are in a rural location and charge between £145 and £170 per week, depending on age. A childminder for £85 sounds pretty cheap to me. Both businesses are profitable, if run well of course, but there is significant over capacity in childcare right now so occupancy in some areas is low. It is not a business to start up and expect to get rich over night. The entry costs are high, the regulations fierce and the time to profit can be long. I have just had a lengthy fight with Ofsted, over some really stupid, ill informed comments typical of the nanny state we are suffering. The trouble with a care home is that it is a 24/7 business, 365 days a year. When the staff go sick, or there is a problem on Christmas eve at 3 am, guess who gets called out? By the way ManillaDavid, I think you missunderstood. Your girl wont earn £430 per week. That is the fee to stay in a care home! She will more likely work for 40 hours at around £6 or £7 per hour. Yes, there is a real crisis with Filipino carers right now, with many having to return home. Efforts are being made to help them, especially those who have been here for some years and are close to their ILR. It is going to be tough though on some dependent families.

joebloggs
19th June 2008, 20:33
i tired a few nurseries and they all charge round £125 mark for a 1yr old for a week where i live in manchester.

i think your right about the over capacity in childcare, as each place we went to had places free, as for the childminder, we've used her for a couple of years to look after our 8yr old daughter, and when she found out we was putting our 1yr old into a nursary she nearly begged us to let her look after him, becuase like you said over capacity.

we even got her to look after our daughter in the school holidays, 5hrs a day, 5 days a week for £50 a week (because thats the price some school holiday clubs charge here ) :D

as for the care home, i have to pay a top up fee of £65 to the local council a month as the home charge more than the council will pay :NoNo: still i'm not complaining, they wanted her to pay it all :D

sorry for the filipinos who worked and settled here, only to find out they have to go back becuase their permit will not be renewed..

lizaphil
19th June 2008, 21:55
Thank you for your answer David House!

The person will soon marry a British citizen, so the work permit should be no problem. I just wonder how fast a Filipio caregiver can finde a full time employment in London?

Best regards
ManilaDavid

hi david
i am working as a career,£5.52 per hour,full time i am also marriage i been here 9months now,and i been working as a career 5month ago,and i dont have any problem,or they ask my reference,and all my references from the philipines,and there accepted,and even is small salary atleast i have job,yes?
and i live in dartford kent,

andypaul
19th June 2008, 23:38
hi david
i am working as a career,£5.52 per hour,full time i am also marriage i been here 9months now,and i been working as a career 5month ago,and i dont have any problem,or they ask my reference,and all my references from the philipines,and there accepted,and even is small salary atleast i have job,yes?
and i live in dartford kent,

One should be very proud your doing helping others:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ManilaDavid
20th June 2008, 07:22
She will be married to a born British citizen.

£7 per hour x 8 hours a day x 22 days a month, will be £ 1232 for one month.

What about paid vacation? In some countries in Europe the employer must pay you 4 to 5 week vacation.

What about a full 13th sealery end of the year?

Best regards
ManilaDavid

IainBusby
20th June 2008, 08:53
My wife also has diploma gained from a 6 months caregiver course in the Philippines, but it appears that they only recognise NVQ's in most care homes in this country.
Iain.

joebloggs
20th June 2008, 09:05

What about paid vacation? In some countries in Europe the employer must pay you 4 to 5 week vacation.

Best regards
ManilaDavid

tax and national insurance will take about £240 a month of that, so you will be paid just under £1,000 a month.

David House
20th June 2008, 09:53
A caregivers certificate was not accepted as a suitable qualification during the time when it was possible to get work permits for carers from the Philippines. It was also not possible to employ someone with a nursing qualification, on the grounds they were over qualified! Those that were accepted held other "medical" qualications, and I employed midwives, PTs and clinical physcologists. All that has stopped. However for someone legally in the UK through marriage and seeking work I think caregivers training will help an applicant, as will simply being a Filipina, because of the well known reputation they have for being carers. Good carers are not easily found and I have no doubt at all that this lady will find a choice of work open to her. Whether she will be able to get £7 per hour depends on the locality and the availability of carers there. If working full time she will be given 24 days per year holiday, proportionate if part time. UK public holidays are NOT in addition to that entitlement, so if she is off on a public holiday it will count towards that annual leave. There is no general entitlement to a "13th" month christmas payment in the UK. Some businesses do operate that way but generally for staff on salary, not on a wage. I have never seen it in a care home.

ManilaDavid
20th June 2008, 19:09
so then she will get £1000 for one month. Thas ok for starting.

Best regards
ManilaDavid

andypaul
20th June 2008, 20:21
With the massive money problems biting people all over the UK. Costs will be shaved down i would think Minimum wage (5.52) will be more likely sadly due to the more people seeking a role and the costs the homes have to bear.

At the two local care homes near me where most of the workers pass me in the mornings and evenings as we go to and from work seem to have changed recently with far more uk residents (i belive from various clues) rather than visa workers.

Good luck with the Job search but it may take a while to find a suitable employer as the market does seem to have changed as people become less choossy wher they work.

lizaphil
20th June 2008, 22:58

Best regards
ManilaDavid

yes they give you a holiday,one month every year but??? its only aloud 2weeks
so you can go where ever you want,