PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications

Gavanddal
22nd June 2008, 08:56
My wife just had her Philippine degree and recognised teacher status compared by NARIC for UK compatabiity. The result came back that it was only comparable to a UK Higher National Diploma or NVQ level 4 or a foundation degree.
Although this might be of use as an entry qualification, it seems that her degree is not valid here.
Nurses seem to have their qualifications recognised, why not teachers? I can understand that the Philippine education system is different from the UKs but all her years of training are now worthless.

andypaul
22nd June 2008, 10:40
My wife just had her Philippine degree and recognised teacher status compared by NARIC for UK compatabiity. The result came back that it was only comparable to a UK Higher National Diploma or NVQ level 4 or a foundation degree.
Although this might be of use as an entry qualification, it seems that her degree is not valid here.
Nurses seem to have their qualifications recognised, why not teachers? I can understand that the Philippine education system is different from the UKs but all her years of training are now worthless.

Dont many people wishing to be teachers have to take a one year course? Cert ed http://www.barry.ac.uk/htmlfactsheets/114.htm
I know of a few people doing courses but a bit early to call them on a sunday about.

From what i have heard but others know far more on the subject im sure. Many Nurses have their level of experience and qualfication downgraded slightly and have to take further training and/or exams to reach the same level again. I looked into the subject a little when the wife was coming over as she was studying to be a nurse.

A years course may sound alot but from speaking to My wifes ex teachers and telling them about the differences it would be a culture shock and require a little retraining.

She would also need to get it instilled in her midset that the way you react of course has to be different.

I once was in a school talking to some teaching staff, when a teacher fresh from India was brought in and to cut to the chase she had reacted to an incident as if she was in an indian clasroom this caused alsorts of problems for her and she had to be rescused by experience teachers not just from the imediate situation but
from the possible chances of lawsuits or crimnal charges. She had im sure had training here as above i guess but she must have in the heat of the moment made a snap decision based on previous experience which could of caused her big bother.

joebloggs
22nd June 2008, 13:55
sometimes it could be to do with the length of the degree course.

how many years was it ?

nurses and docs here have to take IELTS and board exams before they can work here as a nurse or doc, as my misses is studying for an exam now, no easy task seening the GMc make sure most fail, 3rd lucky i hope.

Sangoma
22nd June 2008, 13:56

Her years of training are not worthless, but understadably they do not qualify her to teach in the UK.

That does not mean she is not as good a teacher as any here, just that she does not know the system (in a very broad sense). People think of a teacher just standing in front of the class.

But she can teach in Hong Kong or China amongst other places.

The same goes for other professions as well, not just teachers.

flomike
22nd June 2008, 16:00
Sad to say but it is the reality here in UK:( a common friend of ours took her 4 years of studying to be a teacher:NoNo: 2 years of being an assistant teacher then another 2 years of more education just to be a full pledge teacher.

Gavanddal
22nd June 2008, 17:22
It took her 3 years to get her degree and a board exam to be recognised as a professional teacher in the Philippines.
We know that all teachers have to train to get QTS, qualified teacher status in the UK, but that is not the issue, she doesn't want to teach here.
She is considering training in a completely different field and needs some recognition of her qualifications as an entry requirement to a UK degree course as obviously she doesn't have GCSEs and A levels.

andypaul
22nd June 2008, 17:44
It took her 3 years to get her degree and a board exam to be recognised as a professional teacher in the Philippines.
We know that all teachers have to train to get QTS, qualified teacher status in the UK, but that is not the issue, she doesn't want to teach here.
She is considering training in a completely different field and needs some recognition of her qualifications as an entry requirement to a UK degree course as obviously she doesn't have GCSEs and A levels.

Surely if its equivalent to a hnd or foundation degre then they will see it as good enough to get on a degree course or is it post grad?

Most degree courses had different entry requirments for older candidates from what i remeber they would have a more indepth interview as they had different skills, experience and knowledge levels to most straight out of college kids.