PDA

View Full Version : Bits for the house

Gavanddal
29th June 2008, 06:08
Well, I'm getting quotes from the Phils to renovate our house but I'm still inclined to buy a few things here and send them over.

I'll put together a crate eventually and send a lot of items over.

Had a right result in B&Q yesterday, they had 42" ceiling fans with lights reduced to £10! I bought 5! (I need 7 but it's all they had and they've got others for £15).

You can often find DIY bargains here, I found that when I renovated my UK house. I'll probably buy my taps and bathroom fixtures here and maybe I'll send over a cooker hob. I didn't see a lot of choice local to the house and going to a major city shopping is time consuming.

Sangoma
29th June 2008, 09:46
Well, I'm getting quotes from the Phils to renovate our house but I'm still inclined to buy a few things here and send them over.

Had a right result in B&Q yesterday, they had 42" ceiling fans with lights reduced to £10! I bought 5! (I need 7 but it's all they had and they've got others for £15).

You can often find DIY bargains here, I found that when I renovated my UK house. I'll probably buy my taps and bathroom fixtures here and maybe I'll send over a cooker hob. I didn't see a lot of choice local to the house and going to a major city shopping is time consuming.

How much would it cost to send the crate, and how long would it take?

In addition to VAT, would they charge you duty as well?

Unless it was being sent to a bonded warehouse, (which I guess not as you bought the fans and I assume took them home) or you have a VAT number (or a connection with one) you will end up paying VAT twice.

I have sometimes had similar thoughts about SA, but by the time it's all worked out, it is better to get the stuff there.

Tish
29th June 2008, 11:08

I've also sent cooker hobs, rice cooker, kettle, toaster, fans, sewing machines and many more as I find electrical products here in the UK last longer in Philippines :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
29th June 2008, 11:14
I've also sent cooker hobs, rice cooker, kettle, toaster, fans, sewing machines and many more as I find electrical products here in the UK last longer in Philippines :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's because we buy them and never use them! :icon_lol:

Tish
29th June 2008, 11:30
That's because we buy them and never use them! :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

andypaul
29th June 2008, 11:55
I'm sure i remeber reading on a mailling list which i used to belong to balikbayans could take over a container full of effects ie contents of house with either a lower duty or none at all:Erm:

Also dont forget the large Duty free stores have a lot of items for households.

aromulus
29th June 2008, 12:01
Also dont forget the large Duty free stores have a lot of items for households.

Yeah, I have seen the one at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu.....:NoNo:

Nothing really inspirational, no choices at all, overpriced and with very little or no warranties.

Same brand and model Fridge frezeer was 4k cheaper in SM.

andypaul
29th June 2008, 12:27
Yeah, I have seen the one at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu.....:NoNo:

Nothing really inspirational, no choices at all, overpriced and with very little or no warranties.

Same brand and model Fridge frezeer was 4k cheaper in SM.

Is that a huge store? Theres one in near manila airport which is massive near the airport. But never really compared prices (i try to avoid shopping while in phill:D)

But all we do is buy choclate and some food items which we are told are cheaper as they are bulk buy (ie 12 cans of corned beef say)

Gavanddal
29th June 2008, 13:48
How much would it cost to send the crate, and how long would it take?
Just usual balikbayan box rates. Doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, I've got plenty of time.

I have sometimes had similar thoughts about SA, but by the time it's all worked out, it is better to get the stuff there.

If I buy bits here I get what I want, it's not so much about the cost. There isn't a huge DIY warehouse in every town in the provinces so not much choice.

Peanutz
29th June 2008, 14:27
I think it is also best to send DIY tools from here to Phil. It will really help a lot.

Gavanddal
29th June 2008, 14:36
Good point. I remember the tools in the local market were crap. I bought a machete and the handle fell off and couldn't find a proper ladder anywhere!
....and the brooms were just a bunch of sticks.

Peanutz
29th June 2008, 14:41
Good point. I remember the tools in the local market were crap. I bought a machete and the handle fell off and couldn't find a proper ladder anywhere!
....and the brooms were just a bunch of sticks.

You need to learn to sweep the floor with those broom sticks Gavanddal!

Broom sticks are very useful specially if you have cotto pavements or other rough tiles:D

My Grandma use to check all the sticks before buying one, she have to be happy that the one she chose will last longer.:icon_lol:

Gavanddal
29th June 2008, 18:55
I have a decorative "bunch of sticks" in a vase in my dining room. When my wife saw it, she thought it was my broom! :icon_lol:

keithAngel
29th June 2008, 19:32
I have a decorative "bunch of sticks" in a vase in my dining room. When my wife saw it, she thought it was my broom! :icon_lol:

I keep my "broom" in the garage:rolleyes:

Gavanddal
29th June 2008, 22:27
Shouldn't that be your broom broom?

keithAngel
29th June 2008, 23:17
Shouldn't that be your broom broom?

Its not well