PDA

View Full Version : Which Visa?

Sangoma
1st July 2008, 05:53
I have done a search, but most of the info is quite old, so I'm posting a new question.

I have heard that lately it has been easier to apply for a fiancee visa than a spouse visa. Unfortunately, I don't know if this was for the UK or the US.

Wondered if anyone has any up tp date experiences or opinions?

IainBusby
1st July 2008, 08:48
I have done a search, but most of the info is quite old, so I'm posting a new question.

I have heard that lately it has been easier to apply for a fiancee visa than a spouse visa. Unfortunately, I don't know if this was for the UK or the US.

Wondered if anyone has any up tp date experiences or opinions?

I think that the spouse visa is generally thought of as the easiest to get as they would have to have very good reasons to refuse a visa to a British Citizen who has already married. Apart from the fact that it is much cheaper to get married in Phils, you then have 2 years to relax without having to deal with immigration again until it's time to apply for ILR.

With the fiancee visa I think they would look deeper into your proof of relationship, how many times you have visited your gf/fiancee in Phils and for how long etc, whereas with the spouse visa I think it's simply a matter of your ability to accommodate and support your wife without recourse to public funds for at least the 2 year period of the visa.

Cheers,
Iain.

Mrs Daddy
1st July 2008, 11:48
I absolutely agree to Ian`s opinion...:)

silver13
1st July 2008, 13:33
I would also have to agree with Ian, even though Me and Anilyn took the opposite approach and got a Fiancée Visa and married here in sunny England, I should imagine that even though getting a spouse visa should be easier I am sure that there should still be the burden of proof that your relationship had been developing for some time with lots of communication or it could look like it is an arranged marriage of some sort and I believe that the immigration at the airport have the final say as to who can and cannot enter the country, further than that then t would be at government level, when the time comes you should take all your paperwork with you upon entry into the UK all of your documents and applications should be with you including proof of communication, finances etc. Anilyn managed to get a visitor visa prior to getting a fiancée visa, although this is difficult to get and but she had travelled to Switzerland before and returned on time so that probably helped. follow all the guidance in this forum and do not ever try to bend the rules even a little as this could have serious implications for your future and all should be ok which ever method you choose, Good luck

IainBusby
1st July 2008, 17:03
I would also have to agree with Ian, even though Me and Anilyn took the opposite approach and got a Fiancée Visa and married here in sunny England, I should imagine that even though getting a spouse visa should be easier I am sure that there should still be the burden of proof that your relationship had been developing for some time with lots of communication or it could look like it is an arranged marriage of some sort and I believe that the immigration at the airport have the final say as to who can and cannot enter the country, further than that then t would be at government level, when the time comes you should take all your paperwork with you upon entry into the UK all of your documents and applications should be with you including proof of communication, finances etc. Anilyn managed to get a visitor visa prior to getting a fiancée visa, although this is difficult to get and but she had travelled to Switzerland before and returned on time so that probably helped. follow all the guidance in this forum and do not ever try to bend the rules even a little as this could have serious implications for your future and all should be ok which ever method you choose, Good luck

Arranged marriages still go on within the Indian and Pakistani communities and as far as I know it doesn't stop them getting visas. I think as long as you can prove that you have actually met in person, which lets face it, if you've managed to get married you must have, then it's OK.

joebloggs
1st July 2008, 20:37
Arranged marriages still go on within the Indian and Pakistani communities and as far as I know it doesn't stop them getting visas. I think as long as you can prove that you have actually met in person, which lets face it, if you've managed to get married you must have, then it's OK.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:, i worked with 2 libyan brothers, both british muslims, the older brother was arranged to meet a girl in a tent in the desert, they meet twice for 1 hour a time, and he asked her if she wanted to get married, she said yes, and within a week or so they were wed, within 4wks of meeting( and they got married btw xmas and new year), she was in the uk !!..

and his other brother married his brothers wifes sister :Erm: (his sister inlaw sister ? ), and his wife was in the uk within 3wks of getting married to :D

so i pitty all of us who had to provide evidence of relationship over time, with letters, emails texts, going to meet each other a few times, and yet some have had visa refused, as the case worker didn't think it was a genuine relationship :action-smiley-081:

should be one rule for everyone :ARsurrender:

Piamed
2nd July 2008, 00:54
:xxgrinning--00xx3:, i worked with 2 libyan brothers, both british muslims, the older brother was arranged to meet a girl in a tent in the desert, they meet twice for 1 hour a time, and he asked her if she wanted to get married, she said yes, and within a week or so they were wed, within 4wks of meeting( and they got married btw xmas and new year), she was in the uk !!..

and his other brother married his brothers wifes sister :Erm: (his sister inlaw sister ? ), and his wife was in the uk within 3wks of getting married to :D

so i pitty all of us who had to provide evidence of relationship over time, with letters, emails texts, going to meet each other a few times, and yet some have had visa refused, as the case worker didn't think it was a genuine relationship :action-smiley-081:

should be one rule for everyone :ARsurrender:Very true! Hmmmn! The more I think of it the more I realise that many of my regular Indian and Pakistani taxi drivers in Leeds cannot understand why it is taking so long to get my wife here.

They cite so many personal examples where they came back with their wives immediaitely after the wedding.

I guess we experience greater scrutiny and discrimination beacuse there have been many examples where the relationship between a foreign husband and filipina wife was for convenience, contained very little commitment on both sides and disintegrated so soon after the wife's entry into the UK.

There have been occasions where filipinas have stated that they want to get married in the UK as there is no divorce in the Philippines. That does not suggest a great deal of commitment.

In the case of the Southern Asians who invariably exercise arranged marriages in which the family get involved, literally, with family honour etc at stake, the chances of the marriage being a short-term one in which the wife becomes a burden to the state is less likely.

That's the only explanation I can currently think of. So as usual the majority suffer for the actions of the minority.

It is definitely a case of big brother watching over us with the aim of subjectively determining whether we have real relationships with our partners or not. I dislike the suffering it is cause Pia and I as well as so many of you but struggle to find an alternative approach.

telford
2nd July 2008, 04:13
in US,its more easy to get fiance visa than spouse visa,i dont know why?

angel2008
2nd July 2008, 08:17

I agree with you

aromulus
2nd July 2008, 08:20

I am not convinced that it is the case....:NoNo:

KeithD
2nd July 2008, 08:51
Is this an eye test? :Erm: :)

joebloggs
3rd July 2008, 19:08
i wonder what evidence the libyans had for proof of a genuine relationship, a pic of them sat in the tent :Erm:, they had known each other for a long 2 hrs..

should be one rule for everyone, wether you need evidence to show you have known the person 3 or 6 months etc.., no culture or religion should be above the LAW :xxgrinning--00xx3: