PDA

View Full Version : Aol

aromulus
19th July 2008, 12:53
After a lenghty period of tinkering, I finally migrated to AOL Broadband from BT.:rolleyes:
A couple of people told me that I was doing the wrong thing, because Aol wasn't reliable or things of that nature....:Erm:
But I have to admit that apart from having to sign for two years contract, I cannot find anything wrong with it.
The helpline, although in india (in the same country as BT), is really good, and the operators seem to speak a better kind of english, something than can actually be understood....
A few days ago I received my new laptop from AOl, and what a gem it is...!!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
And as light as a feather compared to my old and faithful lappie....:D
It is a Toshiba satellite 300-149, it may not seem much but with Vista Premium, 1 gig RAM and 120 gig HDD it is more than I really require for my day to day needs.
So, this paves the way for sending my other one to the family's kids in Cebu.
Signing on with AOL allows me to make free phone calls anytime, as opposed to BT whereas the only free time was at Week-ends.
Now, for all intent and purpose, I could start working from home, instead of having to drive to the office, wasting fuel and time on the road.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Don't knock AOL, it is alright.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
19th July 2008, 13:27
I was with them one way or another for 10 years. They are extremely useful when travelling the world as you access the same ISP account.

You don't have to use their own software either. IE6/7, Outlook, etc work fine with it.

Alan
19th July 2008, 13:31
I had no problem with AOL when I was with them. I left them because others offered better deals at the time.

Al.:)

joebloggs
19th July 2008, 19:22
aol, tiscali :NoNo:

o2 is cheap and good :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
19th July 2008, 22:49
Weekday calls are free from 7pm, lasting up to an hour I think? with BT.

tomm
20th July 2008, 00:05
aol, tiscali :NoNo:

o2 is cheap and good :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Free calls to PI, can't get much cheaper than that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also I use Skype Pro for land line. Works great, have proper land line number and free UK land line calls. £1.50 per month :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
20th July 2008, 07:53
Weekday calls are free from 7pm, lasting up to an hour I think? with BT.

That was not good to me at all, as the vast majority of calls would be made between 10.30 am to 7.30 pm.:NoNo:

KeithD
20th July 2008, 08:56
I get free landline calls on my mobile now :xxgrinning--00xx3: ....which is useful as the other phone is attached to my wifes ear......eh Peanutz, Elsa, and many many others :icon_lol:

aromulus
20th July 2008, 09:17
I get free landline calls on my mobile now :xxgrinning--00xx3: ....which is useful as the other phone is attached to my wifes ear......eh Peanutz, Elsa, and many many others :icon_lol:

I am still on the old "Connect 200" T-mobile contract.... :D
Something that they keep trying asking me to upgrade with no success at all.....:NoNo:
All my landline numbers free of charge, anytime.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

And as for the delectable Ping having the phone receiver surgically implanted on her ear, I believe it 100%....
Now... if she were to call, say... at 8.55 pm on fridays.... That would allow me to watch the new episodes of NCIS without having to get ejected from the settee....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

patti1227
20th July 2008, 09:48
with Vista Premium

How is it with Windows Vista Sir? I've been hearing reviews for network gaming there is a compatibility mode that runs with it and so with other softwares. May I please ask what do you have to say with such? Thanks!

aromulus
20th July 2008, 10:01
How is it with Windows Vista Sir? I've been hearing reviews for network gaming there is a compatibility mode that runs with it and so with other softwares. May I please ask what do you have to say with such? Thanks!

I am afraid you are asking the wrong person......:D

I am in the sort of age, whereas gaming is unimportant....:NoNo:
And "Vista" to me is still a mystery...
Excuse the ignorance, but at the moment it looks like a "tarted up" XP pro.
With lots of visual bits and bobs, which I find rather annoying....:doh
But that is me.... I suppose I will get used to it... Given time and patience.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
20th July 2008, 10:13

I have over 5 Million files on my system, and never had any issue with any of them on Vista......and no more Blue Screen of Death.......unless do something stupid :rolleyes:

patti1227
20th July 2008, 10:31
I am afraid you are asking the wrong person......:D

I am in the sort of age, whereas gaming is unimportant....:NoNo:
And "Vista" to me is still a mystery...
Excuse the ignorance, but at the moment it looks like a "tarted up" XP pro.
With lots of visual bits and bobs, which I find rather annoying....:doh
But that is me.... I suppose I will get used to it... Given time and patience.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ooopss. Not just gaming mode Sir. I meant other softwares...I heard from a friend that he tried installing PCAnywhere with Vista as what he have been doing with XP to support client pcs remotely but can't install the same with Vista. Had some trouble too with his Bluetooth driver. Perhaps it all depends on what someone do eh? :rolleyes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Patience is a virtue. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Bless you Sir. :)

patti1227
20th July 2008, 10:38
I have over 5 Million files on my system, and never had any issue with any of them on Vista......and no more Blue Screen of Death.......unless do something stupid :rolleyes:

That's nice.:BouncyHappy: Had blue screen of death a month ago with one of the clients. Thought to have a retired DDR2 memory. Saved me a thousand. Turned out to be needing hard disk reformat because of terrible online game hacking cheats virus even with a couple of anti-virus around. :Brick: Thanks for your word Sir! :doh Joyous sunday to you and your family. :cwm12: