PDA

View Full Version : learning the language

shaggy
14th July 2006, 21:18
hi all
i'm desperate to learn the language of the philippines.tagalog.what is the best way to learn it.i am going out with a filipino but they seem reluctant to teach me.are there any really good books or preferably a good cd that i can use??please help as i really wanna learn this language:)

ivor&mel
14th July 2006, 21:42
I can't personally recommend anything, but have you tried googling for "tagalog cd"? It seems to throw up lots of possibilities... Even Amazon... :D

rands
14th July 2006, 21:51
Hi Shaggy,

Actually, just like learning any language, you need to start getting a Tagalog language book for beginners and start practicing the words and phrases you learn. I guess if you're with Filipinos in Uk, they probably just don't have the patience to teach you...I guess what you need to do is to do it yourself and try to converse with them in Tagalog next time. Try this link to purchase one online, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0804819106/026-2203167-4206839?v=glance&n=266239

Good luck!:)

Rands

scotsfiancee
14th July 2006, 22:54
why not buy a dictionary english\tagalog version

ivor&mel
15th July 2006, 07:59
why not buy a dictionary english\tagalog version
Have you ever tried learning a foreign language using just a dictionary? :yikes:

IMONNA
15th July 2006, 08:51
hi all
i'm desperate to learn the language of the philippines.tagalog.what is the best way to learn it.i am going out with a filipino but they seem reluctant to teach me.are there any really good books or preferably a good cd that i can use??please help as i really wanna learn this language:)

If you are going out with Filipino friends I suggest you try to be more observant when they speak. Tagalog is very easy to learn .By just listening to them you will learn faster. But first you have to buy a Tagalog/English Dictionary. Ask them the basics like the tagalog for I,you,he,she etc. and the common greetings and you can start from there.Try it on them and they will end up correcting you .That way you will learn faster. But then a formal study on learning the language helps a lot too.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Eljohno
15th July 2006, 23:21
[quote=IMONNA] Tagalog is very easy to learn .

Others have said the same but i think learning any 2nd language is difficult enough. Although i can speak English and Northern Irish English..:Help1:

scotsfiancee
16th July 2006, 01:03
Have you ever tried learning a foreign language using just a dictionary? :yikes:

knowing the meaning of every words....:Rasp:

They are right learning tagalog is very easy...http://www.maps2anywhere.com/Languages/Tagalog_language_course.htm

ivor&mel
16th July 2006, 08:31
Scottie... there's more to learning a language than just vocabulary... Sorry to have to tell you that

scotsfiancee
16th July 2006, 13:19
Scottie... there's more to learning a language than just vocabulary... Sorry to have to tell you that

You dont have to say sorry, :rolleyes:

I knew it Ivor but of course he should have to talk to some other people who knows tagalog too so he can practice and understand it well. Learning language may also improve your analytic and interpretive capabilities!..:Hellooo:

Pauldo
17th July 2006, 16:08
You dont have to say sorry, :rolleyes:

I knew it Ivor but of course he should have to talk to some other people who knows tagalog too so he can practice and understand it well. Learning language may also improve your analytic and interpretive capabilities!..:Hellooo:
I tried learning it when I first moved to the PI, but I soon decided there was no real point as everybody I came into contact with spoke English failry well. After a few years there I decided that any Filipino who couldn't speak English didn't need to communicate with me. Sounds pretty obnoxious, but go live there a few years and you'll see what I mean.

I did learn a few basics, sort of rubbed off on me from my wife, and I had a laugh sometimes in shops and stuff talking to the girls, but I must have sounded like some English coolie.

IMONNA
19th July 2006, 11:51
[quote=IMONNA] Tagalog is very easy to learn .

Others have said the same but i think learning any 2nd language is difficult enough. Although i can speak English and Northern Irish English..:Help1:

I think if you really want to learn then you can do it.:) why I knew an american and a Japanese who studied at UP and they were able to speak tagalog. And if you were to hear them with out seeing the one speaking you would mistake them for a filipino. I studied french and was able to get by with the basics but then since I did not have someone to speak french with i forgotten it . One must have practice whatever language it is to be able to speak it.

Eljohno
19th July 2006, 12:31
[quote=Eljohno]

I think if you really want to learn then you can do it.:) why I knew an american and a Japanese who studied at UP and they were able to speak tagalog. And if you were to hear them with out seeing the one speaking you would mistake them for a filipino. I studied french and was able to get by with the basics but then since I did not have someone to speak french with i forgotten it . One must have practice whatever language it is to be able to speak it.

I know when we both move there then i will try much harder to learn but it is true what has been said that when alot of people out there speak english then its easy to get lazy and not try to learn tagalog:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
19th July 2006, 12:50
I can learn a new programming language in a week......but spoken language :yikes:

tetla
19th July 2006, 13:05
The best way to learn a new language is to live to the place. So if you wanna learn Tagalog live shortly in Manila. There's no use learning it from here because there's no way you can practice it. At the moment I would really love to learn Italian but I find it difficult doing it in Britain.

IMONNA
24th July 2006, 06:33
The best way to learn a new language is to live to the place. So if you wanna learn Tagalog live shortly in Manila. There's no use learning it from here because there's no way you can practice it. At the moment I would really love to learn Italian but I find it difficult doing it in Britain.

:DFind Italian friends and stick with them. You could pick up a thing or two from them:BouncyHappy: