PDA

View Full Version : Britains WORST top ten towns...

nigel
23rd July 2008, 20:48
You might find this interesting...

We should probably take this with a pinch of salt but here are Britains worst top ten towns to live in according to the Sunday Telelgraph:

10 Hackney (Thought to be dangerous and dirty)
9 Basingstoke (Thought to be a large grotty town that was designed to take Londons overspill)
8 Bexhill On Sea (Described as being like an elephants graveyard, populated by people who are waiting to die, and smelling of ammmonia!)
7 ST Andrews (Thought to be full of irritating English toffee nosed types!)
6 Liverpool (Thought to be full of men wearing tracksuits, wearing silly moustache's and thieving) - They also said that Liverpool was once one of the richest cities in the world!!:yikes: What went wrong?:Erm:
5 Winchester (A beautiful spot with posh schools but also popular with lager louts leaving broken beer bottles everywhere!!)
4 Hythe (Thought to be plain boring, apart from the fact the Romans once invaded there.)
3 Morecambe (Once popular in the 1930's, it was a bit like Blackpool, but has since gone downhill and become unpopular)
2 Cumbernauld (It's said that the town of Cumbernauld was so badly built...it's basically a platform on stilts, sitting over a network of tunnels and old bunkers...students learning about town building are being shown Cumbernauld as an example of how it should NOT be done!:yikes:)
1 Hull (Thought to have very high unemployment there, many of their industries have collapsed, and it's thought there's a large number drug users/heroin addicts there)

aromulus
23rd July 2008, 21:14
What about Rhyl...??????

nigel
23rd July 2008, 21:44
I've got the top 50...don't think Rhyl is in there..:Erm: Here's the top 50

50 St Albans
49 Hinchley Wood
48 Widnes
47 Barrow In Furness!! :yikes: (Described as being a ship building town with hardly any ships being built...a town guilty of building murderous nuclear submarines!:yikes: ....it says the town is never without rain and career prospects don't get any more exciting than working in Mcdonalds! :yikes: It also says that the town once had an outbreak of Legionnaires disease!)
46 Skelmersdale
45 Yate
44 Bridgwater
43 Alresford
42 Slough
41 Dagenham
40 Keighley
39 Hastings
38 Huntingdon
37 Maghull
36 Reading (Described as being blander than bran flakes!!:yikes: Sometimes qouted by poets as a referance of uglyness!:yikes:)
35 Billingham
34 Newport (South Wales)
33 South Woodham Ferrers
32 Dover
31 Oxford
30 Peterhead
29 Tintern
28 Mirfield
27 Horsham (Ooooh one of my own personal dislikes!! :NoNo: It says Horsham is run by very conservative people, that will not allow any leisure centre's/nightclubs etc. When the towns leaders were pressurised into giving permission to build a nightclub, they said that the dancefloor in the community centre was sufficient!!:yikes: Any Horsham dwellers here? Has Horsham still not got any nightclubs?:rolleyes:
26 Hayling Island
25 Ipswich
24 Leiston
23 Aldeburgh
22 Brighton
21 Ascot
20 Didcot
19 Wolverhampton
18 Peterborough
17 London! (:yikes:)
16 Islington
15 Croydon
14 St Johns Wood
13 Crouch End
12 Stockport
11 Portsmouth

:cwm24:

5olidsnake
23rd July 2008, 23:08
:woohoo:19th:REDancedancer08:

maria_and_matt
23rd July 2008, 23:18
ipswich is there :o

benb
23rd July 2008, 23:49
ipswich is there :o

:Erm: I thought Ipswich is pretty good.

maria_and_matt
23rd July 2008, 23:57
:Erm: I thought Ipswich is pretty good.

i know, i live here and its great! or maybe its just me:))

joebloggs
24th July 2008, 01:16
must have been complied by a Manc,, no manchester or salford :icon_lol:

KeithD
24th July 2008, 08:58
.... or maybe its just me:))

Yes :D

IainBusby
24th July 2008, 10:16
Wot no Coventry?:xxparty-smiley-004:

keithAngel
24th July 2008, 10:29
Wot no Coventry?:xxparty-smiley-004:

Nobody talks about it :D

alicat
24th July 2008, 13:16
no herts?(good)

walesrob
24th July 2008, 14:01
Newport South Wales at 34? That explains why I'm such a moody person sometimes. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ann07
24th July 2008, 14:10
Newport South Wales at 34? That explains why I'm such a moody person sometimes. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

nparvus1202
24th July 2008, 14:43
Nottingham?

Ana_may365
24th July 2008, 17:03
hiya!thanks coz our place is not in ur list.the place of 'why i man!our place in near in newcastle and sunderland.
and i think all the people here are nice.

jimeve
24th July 2008, 17:34
No Bolton, some one tried to burn it down this morning :yikes:

Ann07
24th July 2008, 17:53
No Bolton, some one tried to burn it down this morning :yikes:

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

nigel
24th July 2008, 18:44
So we have some Newport, Ipswich and Wolverhampton dwellers here. Nottingham is not in the list at all!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Newport at 34 (They simply say Newport is crap!:yikes: It says the beach is crap and they say the town is so crap they don't have the energy to **** it off!!:yikes: ) - But it also says that Johnny Morris from the band Feeder is from Newport!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ipswich at 25 (Described as being a potentially attractive town but has been overshadowed by hideous concrete monoliths and is uncomfortably close to the Sizewell nuclear reactors!!:yikes:) - Also says there seems to be a lot of Vauxhall Nova cars in the area, with crappy looking alloy wheels!:icon_lol:

Wolverhampton at 19 (It says the most attractive thing about Wolverhampton was the multistorey car park on School Street, but this was knocked down in the 90's, it says the people are like tribal gangs and that Banks Brewery leaves a smell in the town that's like a dead animal in a drainpipe!!:yikes:) - Also says that comedians Lenny Henry and Eric Idle come from Wolverhampton!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

So there you have it! That was bit of a laugh weren't it? :icon_lol:

nigel
24th July 2008, 18:56
Ana! :) Why Aye Man!:icon_lol:

Are you aware of the Mark Knopfler song? I LLLLLLLLLOVE IT!!:D

I found it on youtube!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NHmpOER-sA

walesrob
24th July 2008, 19:05
Newport at 34 (They simply say Newport is crap!:yikes: It says the beach is crap and they say the town is so crap they don't have the energy to **** it off!!:yikes: ) - But it also says that Johnny Morris from the band Feeder is from Newport!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Johnny Morris from Feeder? You mean Grant Nicholas? Johnny Morris was born in Newport, thats correct, but he was more into animals than guitars :omg:.

Newport is the place people tend to avoid on the way either to Cardiff or back to England.

I'm Newport born, but for some bizarre reason I ended up in this place called Aberystwyth - its a mystery why I'm here :Erm:

nigel
24th July 2008, 19:11
Oh! It seems both Grant Nichols AND Johnny Morris are from Newport then, I've got mixed up!:doh

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

nigel
25th July 2008, 23:24
must have been complied by a Manc,, no manchester or salford :icon_lol:
:Erm::Erm::Erm: That's true, isn't Manchester supposed to be something of a gangland?:Erm:

andy17
25th July 2008, 23:48
Perhaps I missed it but I can't believe that Bradford (Bradfud) didn't make the list... also, Batley (of the Batley Variety Club fame)
:peepwall:

andypaul
26th July 2008, 00:15
Royston Vasey

David House
26th July 2008, 00:23
Highly subjective listings. Many of those places would not feature on any list of mine so I guess it all depends on your criteria. How anyone can include Oxford beats me. It is a pain to drive around but is a lovely city. Huntingdon is a nice place too. Some pretty dire places have been left off but maybe all people want are out of town retail parks full of identical shops and fast food with town centres reduced to loads of charity shops.

telford
26th July 2008, 02:17
Telford is not in the list...:D

andy17
26th July 2008, 09:26

Neither is 'Uddersfeld or 'alifax or points between... yay! :BouncyHappy:

andy17
26th July 2008, 09:28
Royston Vasey

Llandewibrevi... they only have one:action-smiley-081: in the village

nigel
26th July 2008, 10:11
Oxford at 31 (They say the city is beautiful, possibly Britains most appealing town, but it also has large smelly housing estates that were built on top of the towns sewers, these estates are described as being endless matchbox houses, with pavements full of potholes and dogs pooh!:yikes: It's thought that the children in that area write obscene words on walls and set fire to peoples rubbish bins!:yikes: And it's nothing too unusual to see an underage girl pregnant!:yikes:) - I believe the hugely popular show "Inspector Morse" Was filmed in Oxford, is that right? :rolleyes:

nigel
26th July 2008, 10:14
Hey isn't Telford where that famous iron bridge is? :Erm:

walesrob
26th July 2008, 10:15
Llandewibrevi... they only have one:action-smiley-081: in the village

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanddewi_Brefi

Just 10 miles from where I live. We all laugh how such a small place like that can become so famous.

andypaul
26th July 2008, 10:16
Oxford at 31 (They say the city is beautiful, possibly Britains most appealing town, but it also has large smelly housing estates that were built on top of the towns sewers, these estates are described as being endless matchbox houses, with pavements full of potholes and dogs pooh!:yikes: It's thought that the children in that area write obscene words on walls and set fire to peoples rubbish bins!:yikes: And it's nothing too unusual to see an underage girl pregnant!:yikes:) - I believe the hugely popular show "Inspector Morse" Was filmed in Oxford, is that right? :rolleyes:

I think your right sir.

Isn't one of the neighbouring towns near oxford tesco city? Where tescos seem to have nearly every corner?

Fitzy
27th July 2008, 09:27
Now, now, heheheh

The worst town in the hole(get it, heehh)of England has gotta be Southall in west london.
Wow man, what a s**thole, with the same council estate mentality of, ''oh let me see, I am 13 now, and must go get me house'', so of she goes clubbing all tarted up, with the consent of her mother of course, and 9 months later, after her Chav encounter in the local council estate lift, lo, and behold, the money starts rolling in, and not to mention the health care.
Better not say who pays for it all:NoNo:
I must say, I would prefer to live in a so called 3rd world country, coz at least in my 2nd Country of Peru there lies the good old standards of yesteryear, where people get by, and respect one another:D
And the kids don't sue you if you give them a clip around the ear for being naughty, lol

Geeeezzzzzzzz:)

5olidsnake
27th July 2008, 09:43
Banks Brewery leaves a smell in the town that's like a dead animal in a drainpipe!!

100% true:icon_lol:
can remember that awful smell by the wolves ground, you could smell it as you drove passed

nigel
27th July 2008, 10:22
Now, now, heheheh

The worst town in the hole(get it, heehh)of England has gotta be Southall in west london.

I've never lived in Southall but I have had this misfortune to do some deliveries there, traffic is always a nightmare! If you look at a map of Southall, there's loads of side streets and junctions everywhere! :doh I'm sure this is what makes the traffic so slow in that area...it's not just the volume of traffic.

Been to Southall a few times and it's nothing too unusual to see the odd abandoned scrap car dumped there. Also Southall is fairly close to Heathrow airport so I imagine the sound of jet planes flying over your head might be a every day thing when your trying to get to sleep at night!:doh

Fitzy
27th July 2008, 10:32
I've never lived in Southall but I have had this misfortune to do some deliveries there, traffic is always a nightmare! If you look at a map of Southall, there's loads of side streets and junctions everywhere! :doh I'm sure this is what makes the traffic so slow in that area...it's not just the volume of traffic.

Been to Southall a few times and it's nothing too unusual to see the odd abandoned scrap car dumped there. Also Southall is fairly close to Heathrow airport so I imagine the sound of jet planes flying over your head might be a every day thing when your trying to get to sleep at night!:doh

Hi Nigel.

Yep, u got it all summed up there.
I lived there for over 25 years, and back then it was a pleasant place to live.
Norwood Green part is just barely ok tho'
With regards to the planes, I have worked at Heathrow for nearly 19 years, so am used to it, lol
My hearing has suffered a lot tho'

But Southall has all been laid to waste in the face of commerce, but then again, is the same all over the Country.
I am also totally against the proposed 3rd runway at heathrow, as commerce again will see villages destroyed, the dead exhumed, and relocated.
It seems that they can take your home away with a CPO:yikes:

My thoughts.

Philip...