Thread: indefinite leave to remain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    i think the requirements are life in uk test (if your wifes english is above ESOL Entry 3 level)

OR

an approved ESOL qualification through taking a course
    which includes citizenship materials “Skills for Life” qualification in speaking and listening at Entry Level (if your wifes english is below ESOL Entry 3 level)

two ESOL Units at Access Level under the Scottish Credit
    and Qualifications Framework approved by the Scottish
    Qualifications Authority.
    (if you live in Scotland)

If you have not reached ESOL Entry Level 3 standard, the evidence of your ESOL qualification will need to include a letter from the
    college confirming that you have progressed by at least one level from the level at which you started, and that the course included
    citizenship materials.

the ESOL courses are 1 year, so your asawa doesn't have time to take a course.

hope im correct

regards
    martin

your wife can apply for ILR in 6 months ??

yes i think your wife is too late to take the course, and finding a course may not be that easy..

only 2 things you can do now i think, is buy her the life in uk book, only 5 chapters to read, if i remember correctly, start reading when she's back in uk, go on some websites which have sample tests, and asap put her in for the test, max 1 or 2 months time, and is she fails, it gives her time to attempt it a few more times, so not as much pressure, worth risking £34 until she passes, instead of spending £500 on FLR and the form filling and evidence gathering

or if she cannot pass then she will have to apply for FLR, something you really don't want to do, waste of time and money

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...geandlifeinuk/

have a look on ebay, you can buy books with just the chapters 2-6 your wife needs to study in 160pages in paperback, and a test cd for around £7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Life-in-the-UK...6.c0.m14.l1318

of course there are others around and on ebay, and i'm not recommending this, as i've never seen the product, but i bought something similar to this, and the wife and stepson both passed the test first time within 3wks but that was when you only needed to read 3 chapters of it.

Respected Member

Smile Leave To Remain

thanks for the information JOE BLOGGS and everyone else.

my main problem is that i think that my wifes english is good , all the family and nieghbours have long conversations with her and have no real problems , my wife sometimes does not understand things like "doing my head in " or" rabbiting on" but this is not english language.
    she has no problem in her work also.

so what is the bench mark for acceptable english and how would you prove it.

regards john

Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post

my main problem is that i think that my wifes english is good , all the family and nieghbours have long conversations with her and have no real problems , my wife sometimes does not understand things like "doing my head in " or" rabbiting on" but this is not english language.

regards john
    When it comes to the "Life in the UK" test, it doesn't really matter how good your wife's english is as the majority of the test consists of questions that most Brits would be hard pressed to answer and I think most Brits would agree that they are totally irellevent to real life in the UK as we know it. If you don't believe me, just go online and look at some of the sample questions.

Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post

regards john
    as long as she can read English, then she should be able to pass the test, it's multi choice, so it's a matter of remembering facts and figures,so the answer will be in front of her

your wife proves it by passing the test. most filipino's i would expect to pass the first time or within a few attempts

and another good website is

http://www.lifeintheuk.org/

and the gov one is

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

i wouldn't worry too much, get the misses to start reading, and using the pc to test her, and a month or so book her the test, if she fails no problems, its only £34 and she will know what to expect next time, when she passes

Quote Originally Posted by 5olidsnake View Post

Just tried that myself. I done the first 6 pages of questions and I passed 3 and failed 3 and I've lived in the UK all my life. It seems utterly pointless and unfair to me. I reckon if you made the entire population of this country sit that test well over 50% would fail.

I also found some of the questions poorly written and unclear. For example...

Members in the Welsh Assembly can speak English and Welsh, and all publications of the Assembly are in both language

Is that asking if all assembly members have the ability to speak both languages or is it asking if it is true that some speak English and some speak
    Welsh?

i don't think the idea of doing some sort of test or course is a bad idea, many immigrants who have lived here for years and have made the uk thier home, but they cannot read, write or speak english.

if the person already has a understanding of english, then the life in the uk test can be taken to prove it, and as they need to be tested on some subject, why not the uk ?

for those who think they cannot pass the test, they can do an English course combining the citizenship info.

it's a waste of time for brits who speak english and maybe for those immigrants who can take the test straight away, but i'm sure it's not for those who are on the English and citizenship course, by the time they finish the course they will have a better understanding of english

Thread Information