Thread: indefinite leave to remain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post
    thanks for the information JOE BLOGGS and everyone else.

my main problem is that i think that my wifes english is good , all the family and nieghbours have long conversations with her and have no real problems , my wife sometimes does not understand things like "doing my head in " or" rabbiting on" but this is not english language.
    she has no problem in her work also.

so what is the bench mark for acceptable english and how would you prove it.

regards john
    as long as she can read English, then she should be able to pass the test, it's multi choice, so it's a matter of remembering facts and figures,so the answer will be in front of her

your wife proves it by passing the test. most filipino's i would expect to pass the first time or within a few attempts

and another good website is

http://www.lifeintheuk.org/

and the gov one is

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

i wouldn't worry too much, get the misses to start reading, and using the pc to test her, and a month or so book her the test, if she fails no problems, its only £34 and she will know what to expect next time, when she passes

Quote Originally Posted by 5olidsnake View Post

Just tried that myself. I done the first 6 pages of questions and I passed 3 and failed 3 and I've lived in the UK all my life. It seems utterly pointless and unfair to me. I reckon if you made the entire population of this country sit that test well over 50% would fail.

I also found some of the questions poorly written and unclear. For example...

Members in the Welsh Assembly can speak English and Welsh, and all publications of the Assembly are in both language

Is that asking if all assembly members have the ability to speak both languages or is it asking if it is true that some speak English and some speak
    Welsh?

i don't think the idea of doing some sort of test or course is a bad idea, many immigrants who have lived here for years and have made the uk thier home, but they cannot read, write or speak english.

if the person already has a understanding of english, then the life in the uk test can be taken to prove it, and as they need to be tested on some subject, why not the uk ?

for those who think they cannot pass the test, they can do an English course combining the citizenship info.

it's a waste of time for brits who speak english and maybe for those immigrants who can take the test straight away, but i'm sure it's not for those who are on the English and citizenship course, by the time they finish the course they will have a better understanding of english

thanks for the links guys as i am preparing my test soon

Quote Originally Posted by Ann07 View Post
    thanks for the links guys as i am preparing my test soon
    Good luck Ann the link that joebloggs gave is the one I used when Im reviewing my test actually I didn't read the book much as everything is on that site and I only prepare about a month for the exam as I feel that I can do it already and luckily I passed it and as pinoy saying "chicken lang yan"

Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    Good luck Ann the link that joebloggs gave is the one I used when Im reviewing my test actually I didn't read the book much as everything is on that site and I only prepare about a month for the exam as I feel that I can do it already and luckily I passed it and as pinoy saying "chicken lang yan"
    you make me smile. Thank you flomike I studied the book and just doing the practice test now. My husband booked the exam already this month so fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i don't think the idea of doing some sort of test or course is a bad idea, many immigrants who have lived here for years and have made the uk thier home, but they cannot read, write or speak english.

if the person already has a understanding of english, then the life in the uk test can be taken to prove it, and as they need to be tested on some subject, why not the uk ?

for those who think they cannot pass the test, they can do an English course combining the citizenship info.

it's a waste of time for brits who speak english and maybe for those immigrants who can take the test straight away, but i'm sure it's not for those who are on the English and citizenship course, by the time they finish the course they will have a better understanding of english
    I think they should scrap the current test and replace it with a test that concentrates more on the person's grasp of the English language both written and spoken. Then couple this with a series of questions based around what is seen as culturally acceptable and culturally unacceptable behaviour in this country.
    Iain.

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I think they should scrap the current test and replace it with a test that concentrates more on the person's grasp of the English language both written and spoken. Then couple this with a series of questions based around what is seen as culturally acceptable and culturally unacceptable behaviour in this country.
    Iain.
    I agree on the do's and dont's side of things

Also without going overboard peoples basic rights.

that Women and Men have the vote aged over 18.

As i remeber there were issues in some areas where postal votes were "borrowed".

I do think we forget some of the people i speak to from various parts of the world. Many are very well educated and have great intelligence and common sense. Others are not so blessed with a great education and could easily once here not learn english and realise what is and isn't allowed here.

I know in many communities where Wifes come from abroad they are not aware of very basic rights we take for granted and if they do need help say with regards domestic abuse or just simply the right to work. How would they find out this infomation if they cant communicate in English.

But the testing of English i feel should be done before coming to the UK as many other countries do.

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    ... I know in many communities where Wifes come from abroad ....
    I'm just wondering what your first language is!

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

The goverment are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont.

The test if you look at it practically means the person has to understand how to read english and have a basic understanding of British ways.

Many of the Questions are a little daft.

But many people who have moved to the UK have no idea there is any thing to the UK apart from the place there live in the route to and from the airport.

I do know of people mainly though their chilldren who have lived in say southall all their life and simply never gone to anywhere outside of a small radius of there home and used Heathrow to go back and forth to the mother country.

Many people who have moved here from abroad if they dont have a western or westernized partner or family members will have no idea of the rules and rights they have. Even know much about the Uk in general.

You cant make everyone go to school for six months it just cant happen. So the life in the Uk test has a point. Nearly all Phills with a decent education from back in phil with a little application to studying the book and practise tests will be fine. A far lot better of than many races/nationalites for example Thais find it hard as they have a different script and many i presume are taught in thai at school not a form of english as most phills are.

If i had my way i would bring in the Ielts exam as it tests on reading, writing, speaking and listening.
    But as the exam cost over 80 quid and needs qualified examiners it would be unfeasiable due to the numbers involved if done once here in the UK

Thread Information