Thread: Esol / Ielts

am just about to enrol myself for GCSE course but the woman who`s in charge on adult learning centre suggested me to enrol for esol course but i see no benefits on that as i already passed my life in the u.k test and I thought thats the course you have to take if you cant read and write english.I have to wait and see
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

Quote Originally Posted by Fhars View Post
    IS anybody here took an ESOL exams? How much does it cost? and how long it takes to get the result? cheers!
    what do you want to take esol for ? as for ielts there are 2 different levels, and it cost £100 , its an all day exam, your tested on reading, listening, speaking and writing. you get the results in about 2wks.

IS anybody here took an ESOL exams? How much does it cost? and how long it takes to get the result? cheers!
    Paid £48 for my ESOL exams- reading,writing, speaking & listening. The results were released after 2 months.

:
    HI Ebony,

Thanks! Is the exam difficult? can u give me some tips?
    Hi Fhars,

Exams were not so difficult I suppose,because I passed.
    As long as you do a lot of practice before taking the exam, you should be alright.

For the listening exam, the examiner will dictate questions to you which you may write down in a piece of paper. Then a cd will be played where you can hear the answers to the questions given. Just listen carefully as the questions may have been stated in a different way than what you will hear. Cd is played only once so you've got to be alert.

For the speaking exam, you will be working with a partner, a fellow student. The examiner will give you topics to talk about. Examiner asks questions in the middle of your conversation. It is like having a normal conversation with someone although sometimes it's difficult to think and express what you have in mind when it is an exam.You've got to keep talking and focus on the topic given as you will be assessed if you can carry out a conversation, listen and interact properly and so on...

Reading,its just about reading an article and have sets of questions at the end. Identifying correct english grammar usage is also included.

For writing, it is like an essay writing where you are given topics to discuss. If you are asked to discuss a topic in 200 words or so,you've got to do it. Take note of the grammar,spelling,and use of punctuation marks.

Don't worry all these exams are not held on the same day although within the same week.

Try this website for reading practices

www.move-on.org

Oopppss sorry it is www.move-on.org.uk. Missed the uk

Hi Ebony,

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help.

One more thing, where did you take the exam? Did u enrol for a month course? thanks again.

I live in South Wales and enrolled for ESOL in Gwent college. I only go to class for 2 hours,once a week. I'm not sure if you can take the exam when you have only one month's lessons because I started in September last year and had the exams last June.Took the exams in the same college but in a different campus,a much bigger one. Maybe it would be better if you were to contact the college in the area where you live. I am not paying for my lessons but I paid for the exams as I am a part time student, otherwise it would have been free.
    Good luck ......

Hi Ebony,

I took prelimenary test yesterday and I scored 59/60! If i enrol, Cirencester College charge 399pounds for 3 month training course. I've been searching in the internet and i found out that Bath University conducts IELTS test this coming 25 October and I only need to pay 100pounds for the test.

I have gather too all the info and requirements for my Tier 1. So wish me luck!!! Take care!
    if your going to do IELTS, then you better practise, so you have some idea what they will be testing you on, like a said b4, its an all day test

Thread Information