Thread: Questions for daughter who will study here in UK.

Questions for daughter who will study here in UK.

hi guys,

please enlighten me, im still struggling to understand how's the education (particularly in secondary school) system here in UK especially the start and end of the school year, coz in the philippines we can just say from june to march.

we are going to apply for a settlement visa for my 15 yr.old daughter to live w/me and my husband and to study here, she's on the third year level in the philippines and since she's already half way through completing her third year in high school, we are thinking that it will be better if she will come here after the school year ends w/c will be by march next year.

if my daughter will be granted a visa and will arrive here by march or april (next year), when can she start attending the class? does it has to be straightaway or can we wait for the start of the new school year? i was also wondering on what level she will be here when she attends school.

thank you so much in advance and i will be so grateful for any advice or information.

"Chains do not hold a marriage together.It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.That is what makes a marriage last - more than passion or even sex..."

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    school year here in the UK start september so i assume she can start at the beginning of term. there is a person here called alan he use to be a headteacher he is the best person to ask
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

hello maria and matt,

thank you very much for the info and as soon as ive read your reply, i did sent prof. alan a message, i just hope he will reply to my inquiry.

thanks sis.

jbt
    "Chains do not hold a marriage together.It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.That is what makes a marriage last - more than passion or even sex..."

hi sis,
    the schools here are very different from back home. my son is 15 and is making decisions for work experience, he just moved school so everything is kinda new to us. i just don't know if your daughter can start year 10 here. alan has helped me with our school appeal i am sure he will get in touch with you very soon. goodluck sis
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    hi sis,
    the schools here are very different from back home. my son is 15 and is making decisions for work experience, he just moved school so everything is kinda new to us. i just don't know if your daughter can start year 10 here. alan has helped me with our school appeal i am sure he will get in touch with you very soon. goodluck sis
    absolutely, it's so diff. way back home and im kinda lost how the education system works here , although we are planning for her to complete her third year high school there and come here by march or april next year, we are also contemplating, maybe we can apply her visa now and she might be granted a visa before this year ends and let her come here asap but we'll just have to sacrifice the time she already spent in her third year high school, more than half of the school year, and let her start the schooling here.

oh, decisions, decisions...

the schools here have core subjects that students have to do, then they choose their options, in the philippines we just study whats in the curriculum for our year, here my head was starting to hurt when i was speaking to my sons form tutor about options school has started 3 weeks ago we are still uncertain if we got the options my son wanted to do

Quote Originally Posted by jbt View Post
    hi guys,

please enlighten me, im still struggling to understand how's the education (particularly in secondary school) system here in UK especially the start and end of the school year, coz in the philippines we can just say from june to march.

we are going to apply for a settlement visa for my 15 yr.old daughter to live w/me and my husband and to study here, she's on the third year level in the philippines and since she's already half way through completing her third year in high school, we are thinking that it will be better if she will come here after the school year ends w/c will be by march next year.

if my daughter will be granted a visa and will arrive here by march or april (next year), when can she start attending the class? does it has to be straightaway or can we wait for the start of the new school year? i was also wondering on what level she will be here when she attends school.

thank you so much in advance and i will be so grateful for any advice or information.

i think you should have got her here asap, because if she is 15 now, march next year she will be nearly 16? and kids in the uk the same age of her will be preparing for their final secondary school exams, so no point in her starting school march next year, i wonder even if a school would take her for a few months

also it will take her time to settle and adjust to the british school system

i suppose she could apply to go to college if she came in march next year, to start in sept.

i think she will have to pay international student fees for her going to college, could be £3,000 a year and then for uni to..

as Non-EEA nationals are required to be here for 3 years before the start date of their course to apply for home fees

i'm pretty sure what i've said here is correct, but check with a college or with the immigration people

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i think you should have got her here asap, because if she is 15 now, march next year she will be nearly 16? and kids in the uk the same age of her will be preparing for their final secondary school exams, so no point in her starting school march next year, i wonder even if a school would take her for a few months

i suppose she could apply to go to college if she came in march next year, to start in sept.

i think she will have to pay international student fees for her going to college, could be £3,000 a year and then for uni to..

as Non-EEA nationals are required to be here for 3 years before the start date of their course to apply for home fees

i'm pretty sure what i've said here is correct, but check with a college or with the immigration people

hi and thanks joe,

thats what ive been thinking the sooner the better, but the thing is she's already more than half of the school year she's attending now in the philippines, i wonder if they will include half of the school year she attended when they 'i suppose' evaluate her into what grade or level she will be in.

my daughter will turn 15 this coming november and our first plan is to apply for her visa by at least end of november, it will take almost 3 mos for the visa to be granted (i wish) plus if there will be any interview, it will be around feb of next year, and since the school ends there by march and if she will be granted a visa by around feb or march, we might be able to let her come here by march and at the same time she completed the school year she's attending to right now.

omg! International School Fee of £3000 ...me and husbands been working day and night and now if we also have to pay for these we might as well have 2 or 3 jobs more....

i don't think it will take upto 3 months for her visa, more like a month, quiet time of the year...

yes, by the time she gets here, it will probably be too late this school year anyway..

i'm sure she will have to pay int fees, i asked a college about my stepson doing a course, they wanted £1,000 deposit and the fees were near £3,000 for the year, so after he got ILR , and looked after little joe for 18 months , we let him go back to uni in the phils

the sooner she is here, the quicker her 3yrs will be up, so she can pay home fees

looks to me, if you want her to go to college when she gets here, you will have to pay int fees, but if she goes for 2yrs, then maybe let her work for a year, soon as your daughter has been here 3yrs, then let her goto uni, and save a lot of money in fees

but you should check with a college and Immigration people if i'm right about the 3yrs, which if i remember correctly it is 3yrs

i don't think it will take upto 3 months for her visa, more like a month, quiet time of the year...

yes, by the time she gets here, it will probably be too late this school year anyway..

i'm sure she will have to pay int fees, i asked a college about my stepson doing a course, they wanted £1,000 deposit and the fees were near £3,000 for the year, so after he got ILR , and looked after little joe for 18 months , we let him go back to uni in the phils

the sooner she is here, the quicker her 3yrs will be up, so she can pay home fees

looks to me, if you want her to go to college when she gets here, you will have to pay int fees, but if she goes for 2yrs, then maybe let her work for a year, soon as your daughter has been here 3yrs, then let her goto uni, and save a lot of money in fees

but you should check with a college and Immigration people if i'm right about the 3yrs, which if i remember correctly it is 3yrs

a million thanks joe...re. education, i would prefer her to finish her schooling till college in the philippines, its a bit or too complicated in here w/the education system, i guess, me and my husband has to visit or request for an appointment to visit and inquire with the education office or schools near us.

just thinking about the paperworks, FEES£££ and plane tickets ..

(plus, when she gets here, how she will adjust and one of my biggest worry is about the bullying problems that i've been reading and seeing in the news).

my son matthew started in his new school this september and i was so worried about him adusting and being bullied. but now i found out that very little bullying happens with the older kids. after 3 weeks he has made some friends and is settling very well.

i hope that you will soon get to decide what u want to do with ur daughter. goodluck sis.

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    my son matthew started in his new school this september and i was so worried about him adusting and being bullied. but now i found out that very little bullying happens with the older kids. after 3 weeks he has made some friends and is settling very well.

i hope that you will soon get to decide what u want to do with ur daughter. goodluck sis.
    hi again sis,

how was the dinner w/the family? hope you had fun and hope you did enjoy the food .

thank you sis , me and hubby will have another serious discussion about this and hopefully, it will be for the best.

I totally agree. You should get here and into school as soon as possible regardless of term times. When she arrives, give her a week or so to acclimatise and then get her into school, because as Joe says, at her age there is no time to lose if you want her to leave school here with some qualifications.

Filipino qualifications don't seem to mean anything here in the UK, so it's what she can achieve with the limited school time here in the UK that she can have, even at this late stage, that will determine whether she can leave school with at least some GCSE qualifications or even go on to reach university eventually.

Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I totally agree. You should get here and into school as soon as possible regardless of term times. When she arrives, give her a week or so to acclimatise and then get her into school, because as Joe says, at her age there is no time to lose if you want her to leave school here with some qualifications.

Filipino qualifications don't seem to mean anything here in the UK, so it's what she can achieve with the limited school time here in the UK that she can have, even at this late stage, that will determine whether she can leave school with at least some GCSE qualifications or even go on to reach university eventually.

Iain.
    thanks Iain,

after reading all your advice,i guess we should really have to apply for her visa asap.

Thank you all so much ....

Thread Information