Thread: pilipino driver license

pilipino driver license

Hi guys,
    im just need to know about the Filipino driver license,if any one has been stop by the police here in the UK while driving weed a Filipino license.
    i need some help
    any one can help is welcome

thanks

Hi Liza,

Why something happened?

I was stopped before but I was with a friend who's got a UK license. The police let me go after he checked my International drivers license and I was insured anyway. However my friend, a driving instructor, said that Im not really allowed to drive in UK with just an international drivers license. That was 4yrs ago, I now got my UK license.

Got it from Phil Embassy website:
    UK Driving License required to operate motor vehicles in UK

The Embassy of the Philippines in London has received a number of reports concerning the arrest of Filipino citizens for driving without a valid license in the United Kingdom. In all of these occasions, the Filipino driver presented a Philippine International Driving Permit (PIDP) issued by the Automobile Association of the Philippines (AAP) but the arresting police officer refused to recognize the PIDP because the Filipino driver has already stayed for more than one year in the United Kingdom. Those arrested for operating motor vehicles while possessing only the PIDP were subsequently fined by the courts.

Ambassador Edgardo B. Espiritu has explained to Filipinos holding the PIDP that this document is not meant to replace a driver's license issued by hte Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of the UK. He said: "A valid Philippine driving license issued by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) may be used to operate a motor vehicle in the UK within one (1) year from the driver's arrival." He added that a UK driver's license would be needed to operate a motor vehicle after the expiration of the 1-year period.

Filipinos who intend to operate a motor vehicle in the UK and have been in the country for more than one year were advised by Ambassador Espiritu to apply for their UK driving license from DVLA by visiting www.dvla.gov.uk for details.

"There is actually no need to apply for a PIDP when operating a venicle in the UK within one year from arrival if you are already carrying a valid LTO-issued driving license," Ambassador Espiritu concluded.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    A so called, International Driving Licence is a misnomer. It is effectively only a translation and to be valid one must carry a National Driving Licence which is valid in the country one visits, and produce both.

I don't know about UK but in Spain a Filipino DL does not authorise a person to drive, whether they have the IDL or not. I Know, my wife applied for a Non Professional DL and a IDL before we came to Spain, it was a waste of time.

And, remember, if one does not hold, or has not held a DL which is valid the country of use, they are NOT covered by any insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
    He said: "A valid Philippine driving license issued by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) may be used to operate a motor vehicle in the UK within one (1) year from the driver's arrival."
    Well, the UK is more generous than the Philippines ... I was only allowed to drive on my UK licence for up to three months after my arrival in Phils.

Two or three SMB's for the instructor in Phills and you got a license

hiya!how about mine,i have IDL but my name in, is my single name,and we get that when we are in thailand.and i have also a DL from phils on my married name.did i need to apply for provisional dl in here in uk?or apply straight away for uk dl?how much it cost?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana_may365 View Post
    hiya!how about mine,i have IDL but my name in, is my single name,and we get that when we are in thailand.and i have also a DL from phils on my married name.did i need to apply for provisional dl in here in uk?or apply straight away for uk dl?how much it cost?
    As mentioned earlier in this thread you can only use your Filipino driving licence in the UK for up to a year. You can't swap your Filipino driving licence for a full UK one so you need to apply for a UK provisional driving licence, then when you are ready take a theory test, and then a practical test.

Provisional license is £50 (extra if you use the premium checking service), the theory test is £30, and the practical test is either £56.50 or £67.00 depending on the time of day/day of week. When you've passed both tests swapping your provisional driving licence for a full one is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
    Hi Liza,

Why something happened?

I was stopped before but I was with a friend who's got a UK license. The police let me go after he checked my International drivers license and I was insured anyway. However my friend, a driving instructor, said that Im not really allowed to drive in UK with just an international drivers license. That was 4yrs ago, I now got my UK license.

Got it from Phil Embassy website:
    UK Driving License required to operate motor vehicles in UK

The Embassy of the Philippines in London has received a number of reports concerning the arrest of Filipino citizens for driving without a valid license in the United Kingdom. In all of these occasions, the Filipino driver presented a Philippine International Driving Permit (PIDP) issued by the Automobile Association of the Philippines (AAP) but the arresting police officer refused to recognize the PIDP because the Filipino driver has already stayed for more than one year in the United Kingdom. Those arrested for operating motor vehicles while possessing only the PIDP were subsequently fined by the courts.

Ambassador Edgardo B. Espiritu has explained to Filipinos holding the PIDP that this document is not meant to replace a driver's license issued by hte Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of the UK. He said: "A valid Philippine driving license issued by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) may be used to operate a motor vehicle in the UK within one (1) year from the driver's arrival." He added that a UK driver's license would be needed to operate a motor vehicle after the expiration of the 1-year period.

Filipinos who intend to operate a motor vehicle in the UK and have been in the country for more than one year were advised by Ambassador Espiritu to apply for their UK driving license from DVLA by visiting www.dvla.gov.uk for details.

"There is actually no need to apply for a PIDP when operating a venicle in the UK within one year from arrival if you are already carrying a valid LTO-issued driving license," Ambassador Espiritu concluded.
    hi geraldine,
    thanks for your reply.nothings happen yes i got my driver license from the philipines but its is gonna be expired on march 25 2009,im going to get a renew as a international license it is possible i can use it here? when i been here one year ago?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lizaphil View Post
    hi geraldine,
    thanks for your reply.nothings happen yes i got my driver license from the philipines but its is gonna be expired on march 25 2009,im going to get a renew as a international license it is possible i can use it here? when i been here one year ago?
    thanks
    if you've been in the uk one year or more, you cannot drive on a international license .

also you must tell your insurance company your driving using a international license.

if the police stop you and your driving with a phils license, then your driving without a valid license, so your insurance will be invalid, and if your taken to court and convicted, then it could effect your app for naturalization, meaning you might have to wait a further 5yrs until the conviction is spent.

It's strange that all E.U. countries do not have the same regulations... In France you can drive with a Filipino driving licence (not the international one). It's recognized valid by local authorities. So the car insurance is covering you and the Police will not say anything as it's valid to drive here with it.

Other advantage here is that, within the 1st year of residency, you can convert it for free to a French driving licence (that what we did with my Wife). No training to have, no exam to pass just go to the local authorities office, fill the papers and copy of your licence, passport, and residency card with a self stamped envelope. Some weeks later you you receive at home the French driving licence.

Over one year (if not converted), you have to enrol a French driving school and pass the exams to get it as all French people. It's a long and costly process (around 1000 to 1500€).

Note: to avoid driving difficulties, it's better to get some driving lessons in a driving school here (over 30€/h). There's are differences in driving between here and the Philippines ... as you know.
    Best regards.
    Yves

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Two or three SMB's for the instructor in Phills and you got a license
    Instructor? Most folk just buy a student licence and off they go..
    (usually into me)

Quote Originally Posted by A_flyer View Post
    It's strange that all E.U. countries do not have the same regulations... In France you can drive with a Filipino driving licence (not the international one). It's recognized valid by local authorities. So the car insurance is covering you and the Police will not say anything as it's valid to drive here with it.

Other advantage here is that, within the 1st year of residency, you can convert it for free to a French driving licence (that what we did with my Wife). No training to have, no exam to pass just go to the local authorities office, fill the papers and copy of your licence, passport, and residency card with a self stamped envelope. Some weeks later you you receive at home the French driving licence.

Over one year (if not converted), you have to enrol a French driving school and pass the exams to get it as all French people. It's a long and costly process (around 1000 to 1500€).

Note: to avoid driving difficulties, it's better to get some driving lessons in a driving school here (over 30€/h). There's are differences in driving between here and the Philippines ... as you know.
    Hi A flyer,thanks for your reply,
    what local authority? and where?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lizaphil View Post
    Hi A flyer,thanks for your reply,
    what local authority? and where?
    thanks
    In France it's "Préfecture" (administrative headquarters of the "Département"). Are you in France?
    Best regards.
    Yves

Quote Originally Posted by A_flyer View Post
    In France it's "Préfecture" (administrative headquarters of the "Département"). Are you in France?

thanks Yves
    nope we are in the uk

Thread Information