Thread: our rights?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ana,

I'm not sure if this is just a general query, or something that concerns your specific situation. Contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau for professional help.

I’m not a lawyer, but my understanding is that property, money, joint bank accounts etc are usually considered communal property in England & Wales (Scottish law is different in some aspects & I don’t know if this is the case) – pre-nuptial agreements aren’t recognised, but may be used as a basis as an earlier sign of intent before the marriage took place. That’s why some divorces can be bitter & acrimonious (McCartney’s, Madonna & Ritchie?) because they’re trying to split their property, money etc.

Your citizenship (provided that you have ILR) doesn’t affect the outcome of any divorce proceedings; so if you’re Filipino with ILR, but not yet British, don’t worry.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Ana,

I'm not sure if this is just a general query, or something that concerns your specific situation. Contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau for professional help.

I’m not a lawyer, but my understanding is that property, money, joint bank accounts etc are usually considered communal property in England & Wales (Scottish law is different in some aspects & I don’t know if this is the case) – pre-nuptial agreements aren’t recognised, but may be used as a basis as an earlier sign of intent before the marriage took place. That’s why some divorces can be bitter & acrimonious (McCartney’s, Madonna & Ritchie?) because they’re trying to split their property, money etc.

Your citizenship (provided that you have ILR) doesn’t affect the outcome of any divorce proceedings; so if you’re Filipino with ILR, but not yet British, don’t worry.

Andy
    ok.i explain why i ask this question.me,my hubby and 3 of our friends cameback from ireland.and while we travel from larne to our house,my hubby and our friends talk about 'the house of thier friend in ireland is in his wife name.'and so on,on and on until i fall sleep.so at that night while we watching television i ask to my hubby that why they talk about thier friend in ireland,about thier house/bungalow is in his wife name.and i told him what is the problem with that?they are a couple it is not a problem if thier property is in his wife name.and i ask to my hubby that 'how about me.our house is in ur name only.and i didnt own anything in our house but im not complaining as long as we happy live together.and at that time my hubby asking me that'why im not contented in what he gives me[actually he buys me a 6 houses in phils and its all rented,he open me an investment in a bank also in phils.]and he said what he gives me is enough.its up to him if he wants to give to his children all his money/property.and i told him that its up to him if what he gonna do to all of his property.actually i hate to talk about this coz i dont want that my hubby accusing me that i only look for his money after we live together for how many years now.thats why i wants everybody's opinions

Thread Information