The Filipinas that I know who are paid these amounts are legal. They are housekeepers who worked for their employers abroad for at least a year until their employers come to the UK to relocate. Their employers do pay for their tax and NIC, as required by law.

Nannies in the UK, whether Filipina or British are paid such- £300-£450 pw, especially in London. I even remember it featured in BBC news that teachers and nurses are becoming attracted to nannying because of the pay.

However, employers prefer Filipinas because they can perform all-around duties- ie looking after the children and housekeeping at the same time. A British nanny, though usually qualified with NNEB or CACHE would not usually do the housekeeping.

Of course, the pay is a lot, considering that you have no overheads. Moreso, such amount will stretch a long way in the Philippines if saved. But it is not an easy job, it requires long hours of domestic duties. Filipina domestics seem always tired in the weekends during their days off.

Needless to say that there are pinay housekeepers who are illegal and contributing nothing to the economy, but let's not forget that there are also the legal ones, who have the same rights as a UK resident.

The bottom line is that like the original post of 'Mother of 3', it seems that there are lots of parents in the Uk who are frustrated because of the lack of good quality childcare provision. Unless you're rich and able to afford a nanny, you're left with the option of Nursery or Childminder. Whilst most Nurseries and Childminders are good, the ratio of carer to child (3:1 if under age 2) is not usually desirable especially to a pinay mother who is used to one-to-one care for her children. Besides, if they're ill then you have to take time-off from work to look after them at home. That's why juggling work and looking after children is very stressful.

I'm a pinay mother of a young toddler myself. I am legal here having come to the UK way back in 1991 as a student and upon graduating became a UK resident. I completely sympathize with the post of 'Mother of 3' and my previous post was not meant to flaunt anything. It was meant to be informative.

But anyway, the good news is that there are options for us mere mortals who cannot afford costly childcare. One is utilizing our 'extended-family-helping-each-other' culture. Many many filipinas have asked for their mother or sister to come over and help. I'm one of them. My mother came for 6 months (which is the max time allowed for a tourist). I'm hoping that she would come again next year, to help keep my sanity intact!

Another option is an au-pair. They don't cost a fortune but bear in mind that they are not employees. She is to be treated a guest and thus provided her own room. She has responsibilities that include babysitting and light housework- this includes cleaning, cooking, and usual domestic chores as long no heavy tasks involved. We had one Slovakian girl who was excellent with our toddler and she was also a great cook.

So to Mother of 3, there is help out there. If you have a spare room, an au-pair can be a good option, if there is no relative around to help. But you have to vouch for her references and really be selective.

I certainly wouldn't be hopeful in being able to employ the Filipina nanny directly from the UAE or Philippines. You would be hindered by UK immigration laws. If you visit ukvisas.gov.uk (I think that's the one, but you can google search UK visas) there is a link there for housekeepers visa and requirements for such.