Thread: getting married in Cyprus or Phillipeans

getting married in Cyprus or Phillipeans

I met my fillipino g/f in Cyprus about 15 months ago and we have been living in Cyprus together now since January. I was born in Kent, England. We have both been widowed and intend to get married in Cyprus. She came to Cyprus as a housemaid and has stayed on after her visa expired. I went back to England in September to get a new death certificate for my late wife and get this legalised. This I received about a week ago. My g/f has arranged for her mother and sister to get her paperwork. This came with the attached ribbons this morning. One birth certificate, one marriage certificate and one death certificate. The one problem is that the death certificate although having a ribbon and seal attached,was to certify that there was no records of the death. It appears that the original certificate with all the details was not sent to Manila by the local registra.
    At the moment we are trying to get this certificate sent to Manila but it will take a long time. Up until now it is getting on for 3 months since it was started due to the death not been registered earlier.
    We are wondering whether it may be easier to get married in the Phillopeans but am conserned that she may have her passport stamped 'no return' when going though customs.
    Even without this how long will it be before we can come back to Cyprus with a married visa

Respected Member
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if anyone else here is an expert in such a case, but a few observations. Firstly, it is not great that she has overstayed her visa. That, I think, is a definate no-no. As well as looking bad from a Cypriot side of things, it would also make it difficult in the future if she ever wanted to visit or live in the UK with you. Is there a compelling reason for her to overstay her visa? It would have made future applications for visas easier if she had stayed within her remit.

I would think that, in this case, if you want to get married quickly or sooner rather than later, then it would be better to marry in the Philippines considering her current position.

I am no expert, but just a few of my thoughts based on what I have read here, and thought about in our application.

Quote Originally Posted by cyprusboy View Post
    I met my fillipino g/f in Cyprus about 15 months ago and we have been living in Cyprus together now since January. I was born in Kent, England. We have both been widowed and intend to get married in Cyprus. She came to Cyprus as a housemaid and has stayed on after her visa expired. I went back to England in September to get a new death certificate for my late wife and get this legalised. This I received about a week ago. My g/f has arranged for her mother and sister to get her paperwork. This came with the attached ribbons this morning. One birth certificate, one marriage certificate and one death certificate. The one problem is that the death certificate although having a ribbon and seal attached,was to certify that there was no records of the death. It appears that the original certificate with all the details was not sent to Manila by the local registra.
    At the moment we are trying to get this certificate sent to Manila but it will take a long time. Up until now it is getting on for 3 months since it was started due to the death not been registered earlier.
    We are wondering whether it may be easier to get married in the Phillopeans but am conserned that she may have her passport stamped 'no return' when going though customs.
    Even without this how long will it be before we can come back to Cyprus with a married visa
    Now that she is an overstayer I would think that there would be a period that she would be denied any kind of visa if her visa was stamped in such a way. I don't know about Cyprus, but in the UK I think it's about 3 years.

You could look at crossing to the Turkish part and leaving from there I suppose, though I don't even pretend to know the ins and outs of doing this, or if it's even possible to do this.
    Iain.

Thread Information