Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by jeida
    Really? But my hubby brought more than 20,000 pesos with him plus some pounds in his second visit here in the philippines. I think what you mean is you are not allowed to bring more than 10,000 pesos outside philippines.

I've been travelling most of the time and i think you got it wrong. You're not allowed to bring more than US$10,000 outside the philippines....and not 10,000 pesos. I always bring at least US$2000 cash + travellers check when i travel outside the country. I haven't been stopped at any immigration or bureau of customs,whatsoever. My hubby just brings his visa debit card(Barclays) and do the transactions in our local atm banks. PCI Equitable, Metrobank, and BPI cash machines accepts Visa.
    Worry is like a rocking chair;It gives you something to do,but it doesn't get you anywhere!

http://www.bsp.gov.ph/publications/media.asp?id=815

correct - I think I was thinking of egypt with its £E500 limit.

personally I think visa is likely to get you further than maestro. my debit cards charge 1.50 for atm & debit card purchases. amex is commission free along with credit card visa.

bab's right about the 10,000 peso thing, and also i have not met a dodgy money changer either.

Enjoy the experience Mike and let us know how it went when you get back. Good luck for the future.

hi everyone,
    just thought do you need a visa to go to the philippines?

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    hi everyone,
    just thought do you need a visa to go to the philippines?

U dont need a visa in the first 21 days...

Thanks Eljohno

Hi,
    i'm flying to Cebu by Qatar airways from Gatwick, I booked my flight using Expedia. I was just checking the Qatar Airways website and it said all flights need to be re-confirmed at least 72 hours before you leave, so if i booked via Expedia does that still apply to me? I do not fly out til November 8th.

It always makes sense to call the information desk at Qatar Airways (Gatwick) just to enquire the schedule is still as it should be, and at the same time you can confirm your flight that way.

Also I am not sure about Cebu, but at NAIA Manilla when u leave the airport there are stands labelled ABC DEF etc. Your fiance should be standing under the letter that corresponds with your surname.

Enjoy yourself and dont forget the factor 15. Your fiance loves the fact your WHITE, not some sun bleached orange lookylikey. hehehehe
    Wena&Russ

Thanks Russ for the info, I am excited about going to philippines 9 weeks to go yippppiiiieeee

Smile

cebu just has a free-for-all taxi rank, in cebu the taxi drivers are more on the make than elsewhere. I think out of the dozen or so I've taken in cebu, every one of them were slow to use the meter, a couple didn't even have meters. they have a trick of a bit of wood covering the display.

A jeepney is a WHOLE LOT MORE FUN than a taxi, so to make sure you get a great first impression - ask your lady to hire a jeepney to meet you - this may be 2000+ pesos for half the day. a multicab will be a little cheaper (but less fun). - and of course the family can come along too.

trikes are good fun too, especially if you tip the driver to open the throttle out a bit.
    Wena&Russ

Thanks guys you are all really so supportive

A small tip if you want to use it when flying into cebu if you want to save money. When going out of the terminal there will be plenty of taxis but if you can be bothered to cross that road at the exit and go up some steps with your luggage there will be cheaper taxis, maybe i am just being tight

thanks Eljohno

Well if you really wanna save money, go to the hotel reception on the day its time to pay with a look of thunder on your face. Fill them with unintelligible rubbish, and then calmly ask for discount. Thats how to pay Filipino prices instead of Western ones. (Not that I do that regularly, but did on one occasion just to see if it worked). It saved me over 100 quid, which was spent helping with the cost of education for one member of my wife's family. A much better cause than some German blokes pocket.
    Wena&Russ

I would also like to point out I have nothing against German people whatsoever.
    Wena&Russ

Lol, my fiancee has already booked the hotel

so don't check into german hotels?

Lol, my fiancee has already booked the hotel
    Hi Mike,
    If your fiancee has already booked the hotel, you should get her to ask the hotel to arrange airport transfer for you because they will have a fixed price which has already been agreed with cab drivers they use and she can enquire what that price is so you will know in advance. It's the only way you can be sure your not being ripped off.
    Iain.

There's nothing to worried about the car for you to pick in the airport MIke, alot of taxi's around in the airport and it's more cheaper compared to Hotels. It's safe, and you will know by then how much it will cost for you from mactan aiport to Cebu city.around Php 300-400. Hotel will charged you like 500-600.
    Scot ===>

"The world is all about diversity. I am different and you are different."

Quote Originally Posted by scotsfiancee
    There's nothing to worried about the car for you to pick in the airport MIke, alot of taxi's around in the airport and it's more cheaper compared to Hotels. It's safe, and you will know by then how much it will cost for you from mactan aiport to Cebu city.around Php 300-400. Hotel will charged you like 500-600.
    I can only go by my own experiences, which are mostly from Manila and that is, its much less hassle even if it is a couple of hundred pesos more. you dont have to start haggling and trying to get them to use the meter and although it should only be 300-400, once they see your a westerner, many of them will just take a punt and start off by asking 2000-3000. Of course the ones that try for those amounts are the worst of the bunch but its a very poor country and most of the cabbies know that 1000 or 2000, £10 or £20 won't break the bank for most of us westerners, so most of them will ask for as much as they think they can get away with.
    Iain

Taxis in the airport will not overpriced Iain, it is recorded actually (taxi's No.). The lady will ask him where he going and they will give him a reciept, and give it to the taxi driver so he will know how much would be the charged. And to think of, i guess her gf will be there too. Manila is quite different to Cebu, i know manila is. Especially to the taxi driver's so we have to be very careful and familiarize the streets.. Cebu is easier than Manila.
    Scot ===>

Although you can get ripped of by taxis it can by only by £1 - £2 but i know it can add up if you are using them everyday. When i mentioned about the taxis in Cebu you are saving about £1.25 - £1.50 by going past the main taxis outside the main door.

Thanks guys for all your advise

Hey, mike. You really don't have to worry about taxis, if you have your gf with you, if she's going to meet you at the airport, trust her and she will take care of that thing since she and the driver would understand each other. But if you travel alone from the airport to your gf's place, that's different, drivers might ask you higher amounts. You should ask your gf to meet you at the airport or your gf along with some family member with her,that would be safe. I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by janice
    You should ask your gf to meet you at the airport or your gf along with some family member with her,that would be safe.
    This line makes me laugh.... Imagine how it feels like all her family members will come to pick u up in the airport and they will bring a banner "WELCOME MIKE" that's a great idea noh?
    Scot ===>

Quote Originally Posted by scotsfiancee
    This line makes me laugh.... Imagine how it feels like all her family members will come to pick u up in the airport and they will bring a banner "WELCOME MIKE" that's a great idea noh?

you can let your friends then to go NAIA to be a supporters like a fans club and showing lots of posters ...

oopsss carie behave

"You don't have to be a certain age to fall in love;
    although you've maybe been told you're to young.
    For those who tell you that,
    that don't know what is.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by janice
    Hey, mike. You really don't have to worry about taxis, if you have your gf with you, if she's going to meet you at the airport, trust her and she will take care of that thing since she and the driver would understand each other. But if you travel alone from the airport to your gf's place, that's different, drivers might ask you higher amounts. You should ask your gf to meet you at the airport or your gf along with some family member with her,that would be safe. I guarantee it.

just be carefull when riding taxi's or FX specially in manila...not only the higher payment but look also for the meter...be wise

that don't know what is.
    "

Thanks guys for all your advise

hey mike just look also for the meter of taxi...goodluck

that don't know what is.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by misscarie

just be carefull when riding taxi's or FX specially in manila...not only the higher payment but look also for the meter...be wise
    He's going to CEBU
    Scot ===>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information