Thread: Tortang Talong

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Tortang Talong

Description:
    After a lengthy hiatus, Lasang Pinoy, the Filipino food blogging event is back! Lasang Pinoy, meaning Filipino (pinoy is slang for Filipino) taste, focuses on Filipino dishes revolving around a certain theme chosen each month. I make it a point to participate because: 1. I am a Filipino (ok, that was obvious). When I stopped thinking of an “egg dish” and started thinking if a “dish using egg” it came to me – tortang talong (eggplant/aubergine omelet)!

This can be served hot or at room temperature. I prefer it straight from the pan with some cold ketchup. I don't normally take a lot of ketchup (I like my fries with mayonnaise), but this is the one thing I must have with it. We had this with some adobo fried rice (a fantastic way to use leftover adobo), but I’m sure it would make a perfectly good light meal on its own. You can also slice it up to top a salad. Next I want to try it in pan de sal, with some thinly slice tomatoes, onions, and kesong puti (local fresh white cheese), then stick the lot in a contact grill for some native paninis.

Ingredients:
    · 2 to 4 talong (eggplants), average size
    · 2 to 3 eggs, beaten
    · salt and pepper, to taste
    · oil, for frying

Directions:
    1. Broil eggplants until tender (the skins are charred and blister appears).

2. Once cool, peel off the skins of the eggplant and retain the crown and the stem. Gently flatten its meat by using the back of a fork. Set aside.

3. In a bowl, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.

4. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Dip each eggplant, one at a time into the egg mixture. Gently bring the bowl near the skillet and tip, lowering the eggplant onto the heated oil.

5. Fry until golden brown on one side, then turn and brown the other. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm and serve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information