Thread: Is PayPal used in Philippines?

Question Is PayPal used in Philippines?

I'm wondering if Paypal is used out there in Philippines? I was just wondering 'cause it could be a safe way to send money out there?

P.S. If anyone wants to send me money my email is...

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Respected Member
    The Philippines is mentioned on Paypal's website so it's possible.

I had a quick look and I reckon by the time you've paid the cross border sending fees and lost money due to currency conversion it would probably be ok for small amounts, but would become costly for larger (~£100+ maybe) amounts. Not sure of the time it would take to actually withdraw from Paypal to a bank account/card

Respected Member
    some does.. specially for those who are selling and buying stuff online here in the philippines

We are using it from my UK account for the on line Cebuano teaching 127 us dollars fee is 5 or so but what i am doing is transferring from a current account to a prepaid mastercard I still favour this for separation and security

Im using Caxton but there is another one now fairfax I thinkfor the exchange rate
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

So it does seem a fairly safe way to send money..! Thanks for your replies guys..I apreciate it!

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Paypal can be used with Xoom.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

I was thinking along the same lines as the pay pal,but then came across the Weston union pre -paid master card.they charge £10 for the card give you a pin number and its good to go,send the card to your loved 1 phone tell her the pin number over the phone when she gets it and the card can be used at any ATM.You top it up over this side by a pay point or your bank debit card on line which don't cost you anything.You cant go over drawn with card as it only lets you take whats you top it up with no more.Drawback is the commission that side at the ATM but it works out a lot cheaper then paying £14 every time you send money I think the limit you can put on the card for 1 year is £1600.

western union them 2 words , as for pay pal maybe they are ok for small amounts of money , but for the monthly transfer to the misses family in the phils, PNB is still the one i use after many years, next day in the bank, £5 transfer fee for upto £1,000

Yes transfer fee of that amount sounds reel good for £5,but when i asked my building society about say £100 they wanted £16 to send it over.

http://www.pnbeurope.com/

you can use your debit card or use online banking..

£16 is nothing, b4 i used pnb, oh many years ago, rbs use to charge me nearly £40 for a int money transfer and it took days to get in her bank

Well i be,thanks for that very useful bit of advice looks like ill be going to Notting hill after Christmas for one of there cards.thanks again.

talking about PNB their 128 Queen Victoria street branch is moving to 114 Rochester Row from 22nd jan as their lease is up on the building

Transfering money to Philippines

Another way.... if u are in /around London, call in at the PNB branch and open a Filipino Global account.

It costs nothing, and it's a debit card.... you can only draw what you put in.
    You can transfer money from your current account (any UK Bank) to the card merely by calling PNB.
    (You could effectively do this also if you're in the Philippines... I did and accessed the money within 12hrs)

.... so, either when u go to the Philippines, leave the card with the one you love... or send in the post (Then on IM or e-mail, send her the 4-digit access code).
    ... and she can only draw what's in the account.

Marc

Respected Member
    PayPal is good for loading the Smart Money card & also for loading Smart prepaid reloads.

You can use it through pldtonline. You'll need to register and the first transactions are about 48 hours while they verify. Thereafter only a couple of hours during the working day in The Phils. You can buy lots of items on the pldt website including Jollibee gift certificates!!!

Limit is US$200 per month initially but it is a lot cheaper than WU (incidentally sending the same amount from WU in Hong Kong is only £2.50 compared to £16 in the UK!!!!)

Using paypal for ebay Philippines transactions is not easy - very few local sellers accept. If you put pressure on the bigger regular "ebay shops" they will accept for a premium. But if the item you are buying is below the customs limit then for many items the Philippines price on ebay (e.g. computer peripherals) is so high that it is much cheaper to buy in the UK & airmail! As an example a webcam that is on ebay Philippines today in large quantities at £28 delivered can be bought in The UK from Scan for £12.

Respected Member
    Transferring money has been an absolute pain for me. Paypal shut down our accounts for suspected fraud, and I managed to get mine up and running with a few arguments and providing proof of all my details, but Marvie's is still locked up. Transferring via Western Union on the internet is only by Visa or Mastercard, of which I only have as credit cards, my debit card is Maestro. So I decided to use the HSBC online banking and tried three times, but had hassle with the security checks, and then it suddenly all went out at once after a few phone calls. Then got rejected because she was using a Dollar account, and i'd sent the money in Peso. Then I setup an extra bank account and fedex the card to her, which was promptly shut down for suspected fraudulent use in the Philippines, but now is activated, I have to call them on a monthly basis for it to be reactived in the philippines grrr. Eventually i've got the money transfer to go through, but it does cost me 15 pounds each time. It's just been an absolute nightmare, unlike uk and european transactions. When I was in the Philippines in November all my accounts were shut down due to suspected fraud, aghhhhhhhh! I can understand the bank security systems doing it to protect you, but I wish they would listen to me when I tell them that I travel, sometimes upto 7 countries in 7 days.

Thread Information