Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essentials for the New Bride arriving

Essentials for the New Bride arriving

Great news from Ian Busby his wife will arrive later this month

To ensure she will settle in I'd like to suggest that he buys some items for her comfort at home - please add your suggestions

1) An electric blanket

The first new Tagalog words I leaned after my wife arrived

Giniginaw ako

Find a bear, then borrow his coat - winters coming

2) Pansit canton
    3) Mang Tomas
    4) Rice

hehe..

Some important stuffs
    Scot ===>

"The world is all about diversity. I am different and you are different."

With regard to the electric blanket, make sure you get the split one from Argos, that way Mr Brit does not have to sleep on the window sill when the temperature drops to 25C
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel
    2) Pansit canton
    3) Mang Tomas
    4) Rice

hehe..
    I already got a huge bag of rice and the best non stick wok that money can buy, maybe I was thinking more about the essentials for the husband of the new bride arriving when I bought this. I'll have to ask the missus about Pansit Canton & Mang Tomas, I've never heard of them before.
    Iain.

Rice cooker.......steamer.....

5 gallons of vinegar to fry the fish in, and a gas mask for yourself
    Keith - Administrator

Just thought on it!

A rice cooker - this is an electrical pot that is used only to cook rice

gets perfect results every time

dont forget to bring filipino soy sauce and vinegar. Coz when i arrived here i tried cooking adobo for my in laws..and i used the soy sauce and the vinegar that was bought here....taste is not the same..lol...good thing we went to sheffield and went to the asian store and was able to buy the DATU PUTI VINEGAR AND SOY SAUCE and some other spices. lol

Another thing that im trying to adjust to is the fact that drinking water is from the faucet. Coz as a filipino its a thinking that faucet water is not clean and is only good for the laundry (well not even sometimes..lol) So buy ur misses some spring water..well just for a few weeks till she gets adjusted.

Lastly, is a TABO (small bucket) ..lol..ask ur misses what it is for. lol..and im 100 percent sure that she'll be needing that..trust me..winks...

A good ole Fanny craddock English cook book.

Faggots.....
    Keith - Administrator

london well away from those people up norf
    Also make sure with winter coming you make sure your house/flat is nice and bright. As if like my poor wife when she first came over the first few months she was stuck indoors due to the weater and not knowing the area and many people.

Buying some daylight blubs helped just a little.

Make sure you have your cheap calls sought out for the time of the day your wife will use the phone.

As if the international phone service you use might cost more in the day for the first month after my wifes arrival it happened to us. As i had rung the local number during the evenings and weekends when it was free (which was the type of bt account i had at the time) of course the wife used the phone during the day wooops.

Find the nearest Chinese, thai or phill shop asap and i have found make sure you have a good green grocer, butcher and fish monger if possible as well nearby.
    Our local green grocer occasioanly has phill type mangos, cost a fortune but the wife was on cloud nine for days after.

Also be prepared for your Wife to buy tonnes of tupperware to store any left overs!!

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    Also be prepared for your Wife to buy tonnes of tupperware to store any left overs!!
    I put all left over foods in a tupperware the problem is im always out so forget to eat them, and i have to throw it away
    Scot ===>

Some days I open the fridge and the wifes food runs out it's been in there so long
    Keith - Administrator

the handcuffs r 4 fun lang...... buang ka

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako View Post
    the handcuffs r 4 fun lang...... buang ka
    R u?
    Scot ===>

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsfiancee View Post
    I put all left over foods in a tupperware the problem is im always out so forget to eat them, and i have to throw it away
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Some days I open the fridge and the wifes food runs out it's been in there so long
    I can't believe that asawa ko can manage to have such really big tampos when I insist on thowing away some cold left over chips, bit of papadom or a dried up nan bread. I can see I'm going to have to print up my own "best before" labels for everything she manages to sneak into the "fridge". Thats another thing, I keep having to tell her that a "ref" is someone who officiates at football matches!!!
    Iain.

Filipino's where my destiny......I used to hide sausages under the fridge as a kid
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I can see I'm going to have to print up my own "best before" labels for everything she manages to sneak into the "fridge". Thats another thing, I keep having to tell her that a "ref" is someone who officiates at football matches!!!
    Iain.
    Hahahhaha that makes me laugh coz were just bout same
    Scot ===>

Whilst on the subject of food storage from a filipino'spoint of view, what about when packets of 'things' and bottles as well are left in the cupboard when they have been finished.

I'll explain myself a little better. If my asawa finishes a bottle of coke she will put the empty bottle back in the cupboard instead of throwing it in the bin. She hasn't yet explained this pattern of behaviour which I find a bit unusual. Perhaps one of you filipino ladies could explain a little more.

PS. Found a really really good Thai/Phil restaurant nearby. Its called 'Filipino's', and for all you people living in Lancashire or near area its in Poulton le Fylde, right next to the train station.
    If any one is up for it we are going there for Christmas dinner on 23rd Dec.
    Wena&Russ

Quote Originally Posted by russ01539 View Post
    I'll explain myself a little better. If my asawa finishes a bottle of coke she will put the empty bottle back in the cupboard instead of throwing it in the bin. She hasn't yet explained this pattern of behaviour which I find a bit unusual. Perhaps one of you filipino ladies could explain a little more.
    I throw it of course
    Scot ===>

Quote Originally Posted by scotsfiancee View Post
    I throw it of course
    Who at???

I bet if I route through our cupboards now, I'll find something out of data Last year I found a packet of frozen Dodo breasts!!!!
    Keith - Administrator

maybe your wife think its a collectible one. and in the near future she can make money out of it., or she's only weird.
    Regards,

Ping

.....I'm not here......
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by russ01539 View Post
    Whilst on the subject of food storage from a filipino'spoint of view, what about when packets of 'things' and bottles as well are left in the cupboard when they have been finished.

PS. Found a really really good Thai/Phil restaurant nearby. Its called 'Filipino's', and for all you people living in Lancashire or near area its in Poulton le Fylde, right next to the train station.
    If any one is up for it we are going there for Christmas dinner on 23rd Dec.
    she can make it for a christmas decor....it is called "recycle" not only a coke in can...also some other things that it can be usefull for a decoration i do recycle too and put some paint on it

"You don't have to be a certain age to fall in love;
    although you've maybe been told you're to young.
    For those who tell you that,
    that don't know what is.
    "

[QUOTE=britoy;13071]dont forget to bring filipino soy sauce and vinegar. Coz when i arrived here i tried cooking adobo for my in laws..and i used the soy sauce and the vinegar that was bought here....taste is not the same..lol...good thing we went to sheffield and went to the asian store and was able to buy the DATU PUTI VINEGAR AND SOY SAUCE and some other spices. lol

Another thing that im trying to adjust to is the fact that drinking water is from the faucet. Coz as a filipino its a thinking that faucet water is not clean and is only good for the laundry (well not even sometimes..lol) So buy ur misses some spring water..well just for a few weeks till she gets adjusted.

Lastly, is a TABO (small bucket) ..lol..ask ur misses what it is for. lol..and im 100 percent sure that she'll be needing that..trust me..winks...[/QUOTE]

hehe

probably to put dringking water on it!
    Filipina a born survivor!

mabuhay!!!

[
    Lastly, is a TABO (small bucket) ..lol..ask ur misses what it is for. lol..and im 100 percent sure that she'll be needing that..trust me..winks...[/QUOTE]

hehe[/QUOTE]

I've been here almost 5 months & i still can't find myself needing to use "tabo" although i'm used to it while i'm still in Philippines. Maybe i'm just fortunate that my husband provided everything for his ex before she's evicted. Cheers!

Louella

its because in here in philly if u purchause softdrinks from the variety store you`re oblige to return the bottle.maybe she thought about that way still.hehehehe

for people wondering about the coke bottle...filipinos used to buy coke in a sari sari store, and u r obliged to pay extra 2 pesos for the bottle...so when u return the bottle, u can get ur 2 pesos back...

english word for tabo-----"dipper" pinoy uses dipper in taking a bath.. we r not used to using shower..it is just a pail of water [balde in tagalog] and dipper [tabo]. hope u learned some tagalog words here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information