Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balikbayan box.... At long last.....

Banned

Wink Balikbayan box.... At long last.....

Well, after a long time of tripping over the bloody things, someone from Forex Cargo is actually coming today to collect them and take them away.

Towards the end of October we went to get a couple of boxes from Rhyl (bogoff offer), from the local agent, and the mrs has been busy stuffing them ever since.

On one dreadful occasion, after me lavishing yard upon yard of packing tape all over the largest of the two, Jet decided that, although it was already stuffed to the seams, it wasn't enough. So she opened it again, and managed to cram even more items inside.
    Needless to say, it is more round than square now.....
    She has been visiting the sales, poundshop, tesco and a miriad of other outlets to buy what she thought was needed over there.
    I put my foot down with a firm hand at the kitchen sink.
    Enough is enough.
    In the smaller box.... Belt Sander with enough spare belts to make the Eiffel Tower shine, drill and all the bits to go with it, jigsaw and saw blades, Sweets galore, Chocolate, Shampoo, conditioner, Kitchen knives, and unfortunately cannot remember what else.....
    In the larger box......... I better don't start on that one, but there are at least 15 pairs of shoes and branded trainers of all sizes and baby clothes....

A few more hours and I will have the chance to watch a couple of Pinoy struggle to carry the things away and into the uncharted unknown....

Ah, bliss, soon I will be able to walk barefoot into the spare bedroom without stubbing my toenails again....

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Oh Dom!

Can you open them again please? There are a few things that I would like!

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    awwwww,the joys of being married to a filipina, you got to love it!
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Banned
    It's gone..............

Earlier than I thought and also a tenner cheaper....

2 (1 large 1 medium) boxes for £110.... Door to door, all the way to Cebu.

That's a result........

Respected Member

balikbayan box

hello aromulus

when you send the balikbayan box do you not get hit with any taxes in the philippines because of what is in the boxes, or is it pot luck

john

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post
    hello aromulus

when you send the balikbayan box do you not get hit with any taxes in the philippines because of what is in the boxes, or is it pot luck

john

Haven't got the foggiest, really.

We will cross that bridge when we get to it...

I am half expecting a distress email from the family saying that they can't get hold of the boxes for some imaginary tax or the other....
    Which I believe it is the norm.

Respected Member
    we had our 1st balikbayan box sent last mid october with printer, 3 mobile phones, children scooters and other personal stuffs inside and luckily they got it last december just before xmas without paying any tax just a picture taking though to prove they got it.

Respected Member
    We've successfully sent two and there was no tax to pay on them. Our third one is somewhere on route, hopefully there will be no tax to pay when it finally arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    We've successfully sent two and there was no tax to pay on them. Our third one is somewhere on route, hopefully there will be no tax to pay when it finally arrives.
    I was told by an ex-pat over there that if you wanted to avoid them being opened and checked for taxable items, that you should label the box as personal effects. I think the theory behind it is that they assume it's the personal effects of someone who has died that are being returned to his or her relatives.
    Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Oh Dom!

Can you open them again please? There are a few things that I would like!

Al.

So i guess you start on the next one now?
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    So i guess you start on the next one now?
    There are more chances for a cabbage to jump up and bite you in the bum , than me starting to get another balikbayan box ready..........

I sent 2 balikbayan boxes last year before my husband (fiance at that time) and I went back to the Philippines to get married. We were charged around P4,000 for custom taxes!

1 box was full of wooden roses (1,050 pieces) that we made as souvenirs for the wedding, along with a bunch of wedding magazines etc and the other box was just an assortment of used and new clothes, shoes, books, bags and other stuff.

We ended up paying it as there was no other choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post
    hello aromulus

john
    as far as know there's no taxes for balikbayan box or else no filipinos will ever send one. the only thing about sending balikbayan box is more prayers that it will arrive safe and intact. just incase it get lost that's it you can't do anything about it sad to say bec there's no insurance just trust.

the person who runs the business (balikbayan box) said to me that i only need to put £200 worth in the box and ask me to declare what's inside to avoid paying taxes...

i've just sent 3 medium boxes to the phils, i'm wondering if they will ever get there

hmm taxes

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    There are more chances for a cabbage to jump up and bite you in the bum , than me starting to get another balikbayan box ready..........
    Sp whats the best way to treat cabbage bites
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Well, after a long time of tripping over the bloody things, someone from Forex Cargo is actually coming today to collect them and take them away.

Towards the end of October we went to get a couple of boxes from Rhyl (bogoff offer), from the local agent, and the mrs has been busy stuffing them ever since.

On one dreadful occasion, after me lavishing yard upon yard of packing tape all over the largest of the two, Jet decided that, although it was already stuffed to the seams, it wasn't enough. So she opened it again, and managed to cram even more items inside.
    Needless to say, it is more round than square now.....
    She has been visiting the sales, poundshop, tesco and a miriad of other outlets to buy what she thought was needed over there.
    I put my foot down with a firm hand at the kitchen sink.
    Enough is enough.
    In the smaller box.... Belt Sander with enough spare belts to make the Eiffel Tower shine, drill and all the bits to go with it, jigsaw and saw blades, Sweets galore, Chocolate, Shampoo, conditioner, Kitchen knives, and unfortunately cannot remember what else.....
    In the larger box......... I better don't start on that one, but there are at least 15 pairs of shoes and branded trainers of all sizes and baby clothes....

A few more hours and I will have the chance to watch a couple of Pinoy struggle to carry the things away and into the uncharted unknown....

Ah, bliss, soon I will be able to walk barefoot into the spare bedroom without stubbing my toenails again....
    That's cool Your made her happy. I sent mine last year but it took 2 months to deliver.They said it will only take 1 month. I'll try another 2 boxes from another agent today. We'll go to filipino store in Newcastle today and pick-up the empty box. Anybody here from Newcastle who experienced good shipment of your cargo box? How long and what agent? need to send it over asap as I hubby already had my 2 round cans of chocolates.

hello
    Does anyone know of a balikbayan agent in Taunton area?
    Thanks
    True love waits.

Can they be insured?

Try parceldropdotcodotuk, they're quite cheap and it's quicker than sending your balikbayan boxes via cargo ship which almost always takes 1-2 months. That is, if you're in a rush to get your boxes in the Philippines. Personally, I prefer to pay a little bit more with the knowledge that my box will arrive in just a week rather than worrying about it for over a month.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reginacarlson View Post
    Try parceldropdotcodotuk, they're quite cheap and it's quicker than sending your balikbayan boxes via cargo ship which almost always takes 1-2 months. That is, if you're in a rush to get your boxes in the Philippines. Personally, I prefer to pay a little bit more with the knowledge that my box will arrive in just a week rather than worrying about it for over a month.
    Been to Newcastle this morning, Georgia filipino/Oriental store and they offers Vicky cargos. Will try this one.

Dont worry about taxes..Never paid any and always had boxes arrive unopened..
    I think the Gov ordered a swift passage through customs for BB boxes to keep OFW`s sweet.
    Good move sticking in the belt sander though Dom.. Cant get one here for love nor money..
    Tell them I want to borrow it when they've finished with it.

Respected Member
    What size and weight boxes do you send? And how much do you pay?

What size and weight boxes do you send? And how much do you pay?
    I sent 2 tea-chest/large cardboard boxes sized 18" x 18" x 24" (L x W x H). 1 was weighing 30 kilos and 1 was 27 kilos. I paid around £125 per box for a door to door (to Manila) expedited delivery within 5-7 working days.

I know it's expensive but at least it got there in a week, saved me from worrying for over a month or two about my boxes being lost at sea.

I sent 2 tea-chest/large cardboard boxes sized 18" x 18" x 24" (L x W x H). 1 was weighing 30 kilos and 1 was 27 kilos. I paid around £125 per box for a door to door (to Manila) expedited delivery within 5-7 working days.

I know it's expensive but at least it got there in a week, saved me from worrying for over a month or two about my boxes being lost at sea.

i see. so its not a typical balikbayan box then.

anyway, its nice to send one actually knowing that our family really excited waiting for it specially opening it what they don;t know is most of the things inside is from NETTO, ALDI and LID'L. but of course a few branded things from Sports Direct bec they sell really cheap branded products and I love it.

i've just sent 3 boxes the same size and it cost £100 for all 3 boxes(xmas offer), door to door (manchester to puerto princessa) , going by ship and it should take 4wks. i'm not paying £275 more just so it gets there in 5-7 working days

i've got more important things to use the money for read my other post

Respected Member

That's very expensive. Got a quote from parceldrop's website and it worked out at about 3 times the price we pay (our boxes are a lot larger/heavier...).

Hi aromalus since your talking about the balikbayan box i wanted to send some of my personal stuff using balikbayan box from philippines goin to UK but i wanna know if anybody of you know were i can get a cheap price for sending my package....

That's very expensive. Got a quote from parceldrop's website and it worked out at about 3 times the price we pay (our boxes are a lot larger/heavier...).
    I sent my boxes almost 9 months ago so prices has obviously gone up and I think it's way more expensive if you're sending more than 30 kilograms per box.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Best (not secret) Agent

hi
    joe the price you got looks good... who did you use please?
    cheers
    dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information