Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how was the filipina women adapt in UK when they got here?

Newbie (Restricted Access) lyn26's Avatar

how was the filipina women adapt in UK when they got here?

how does the filipina women adapt in UK when they arrive here in uk?

(please pardon my english and my grammar)

like the other filipina wives here, i too struggle and waited a long time to get my uk visa when i was in the philipines...
    and unlike fairytales my love story didnt end up happy ending after i got my visa and i got here in UK..
    Theres more struggling, hard work, and most of all adjusting, not only to my environment but also with my relationship with my hubby...
    In the real life, life is like that....
    i broke down lots of times but im glad slowly but gradually i was able to understand around me, stand up in my feet, get a job and most of all adjust in my surrounding, and my relationship with my husband became better, we are both happier than before and stable.

How about the rest of the filipina wives in here in uk, how do you cope up with the life here in uk..?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lyn26 View Post

like the other filipina wives here, i too struggle and waited a long time to get my uk visa when i was in the philipines...
    and unlike fairytales my love story didnt end up happy ending after i got my visa and i got here in UK..
    Theres more struggling, hard work, and most of all adjusting, not only to my environment but also with my relationship with my hubby...
    i broke down lots of times but im glad slowly but gradually i was able to understand around me, stand up in my feet, get a job and most of all adjust in my surrounding, and my relationship with my husband became better, we are both happier than before and stable.

How about the rest of the filipina wives in here in uk, how do you cope up with the life here in uk..?

I like you for being humble and low profile unlike other filipinas I met who pretend rich but on the other side they are struggling. Life here is not a bed of roses isn't it?

Like you, I work hard here working fulltime just what I did in the Philippines. If I will not work, I am sure I'll feel struggling too. I'm running for 3 years now and still adjusting for the weather to be honest. I feel homesick sometimes but I know it's part of my sacrifice when I married my hubby. So, I just devote my time working fulltime to save and visit my loving Mom in the Philippines yearly as I missed her terribly.

You're both quite right girls, life isn't 'bed of roses' in the UK for a foriegn wife and coming to the UK to settle down is a huge sacrifice for most of us. Others might not realise it though. Like both of you I work hard (maintaining two jobs at the moment), go to Uni and being a full time wife at the same time. It is a struggle but it makes us all feel a sense of 'self-worth' and can well be very satisfying. But I am quite sure that we are going to be alright as we 'Filipinas' are tough and I'm very proud that we are. Cheers!
    The bravest thing that men do is love women--Mort Sahl

Almost 7 years here in UK but still feel like Im alien because miss a lot of things in the Phils.

Also I still can't cope with the very cold weather.
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

Banned
    34 years, 3 months and 27 days in the Uk and I still cannot get to grips with the weather here....

Longing to retire somewhere nice with "climate"........ instead of "weather".....

been here in the uk for only 2 weeks now to be exact, there are things that bewildered me..like so many kinds of brooms here...brush brooms to be exact...not the walis tingting (tikog) and tambo (lanot) im used to in cleaning in the Philippines ...and no plastic dipper (tabo) too..hahaha..only a filipina knows whats its for. Cant go out much cause too cold .Still trying to figure things out cause not the same as in Philippines. Its not that easy here..one way or another one will miss the Philippines.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by acs View Post
    been here in the uk for only 2 weeks now to be exact, there are things that bewildered me..like so many kinds of brooms here...brush brooms to be exact...not the walis tingting (tikog) and tambo (lanot) im used to in cleaning in the Philippines ...and no plastic dipper (tabo) too..hahaha..only a filipina knows whats its for. Cant go out much cause too cold .Still trying to figure things out cause not the same as in Philippines. Its not that easy here..one way or another one will miss the Philippines.
    I bought tambo at Filipno store but I only use that at stairs. I bought a tub of marshmallows. I didn't eat the marsmallows, I need the tub so I can have tabo I really need tabo lols, I am allergic using toilet paper all the time. I feel itchy butt

Banned
    ...and no plastic dipper (tabo) too..hahaha..only a filipina knows whats its for.

You think so, huh...???

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    I bought tambo at Filipno store but I only use that at stairs. I bought a tub of marshmallows. I didn't eat the marsmallows, I need the tub so I can have tabo I really need tabo lols, I am allergic using toilet paper all the time. I feel itchy butt
    why you dont use mesuring jug LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lizaphil View Post
    why you dont use mesuring jug LOL
    yes we have 2 measuring jugs but we use that for preparing foods only.

Is that what you are using? or r u satisfied with toilet paper

Banned

r u satisfied with toilet paper
    Hi Pen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    Hi Pen
    Hi Mrs Major Miss you

Get your husband to install a bidet. that is pure luxury for a Filipina or so I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by lyn26 View Post

Adjusment is always been a struggle for most of us esp to be away from our native land and family.Adjusting with the weather which is totally opposite where we came from the foods etc...Same here you have to start building everything from scratch but once u r in the system and everything will follow And same with our husbands as they struggle to live with stinky foods and moody wives

As long as you have the support and love that you needed here everything is possible Esp having our wee boy for the first few months it has been so tough but it pays though, so blessed now

Banned
    Real hard life....

No yaya...

No maid....

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Real hard life....

No yaya...

No maid....

Very true

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Get your husband to install a bidet. that is pure luxury for a Filipina or so I'm told.
    Haha .. ruby was keen to have a posh, all electronic, WC/bidet. The lid lifts automatically as you approach, your bum gets washed and blow dried ... and the seat is heated (useful in Phils, eh?). However, at 250,000 pesos, I felt that there could be better uses for the money, and separate WC and bidet is much cheaper!

yeah... really hard here in the UK just to be with the man we love hehe...

No tabo,
    No all day/year sun
    No yaya
    No maid
    No cook
    No jeepneys
    No tricycles
    No tindahan sa kanto (convenience store)
    No pedicabs
    No kangkong
    No kamote tops
    No ASKAL/ asong kalye (stray dogs)
    No tambay sa kanto hehehe
    plus our time day is like 24hours a day! No night time. always workday and day time... lol
    less leisure...
    No tsismis
    No friends that you grew up with
    Instant Mommy/Daddy or ate/Kuya

also:
    Cold climate
    9am-5pm work only
    Online groceries/once a week grocery
    Loo rolls
    Hoover
    Sariling kayod
    Car/bus as main transpo...

We so know it's hard to live away from "home"... huhuhu... but i think we will make it here no matter what! Filipinos are known as being flexible & adaptable to change! kaya natin to!

The Wife like any one has homesickness and misses various bits n bobs. But I guess she came at a good age, where she was not to young but had not become set in her ways. She has been lucky meeting people both phill and from elsewhere. She was lucky she had good English skills which helped her speak landan init like a local.
    I think also considering her age she has a good range of phill friends both those who she can go clubbing with and those who are more mature and calming infulence. Ie so friends who act in her peer group but also ones who can act as surrogate aunts.
    Now she frequents embassy club,concoon ,china white etc she found the club scene on her return visits to Phill a bit tame

We are also lucky that in our local green grocers and other food shops we have a wide varitey of foods which she is used to.

I do think a lot of thought and prepration has to be done by the brit and phill. Many put loads of effort into Visas and yet forget how both are going to fair once your together. If you think your live in a country just like phill then thats the first mistake

Its not just tough on the Phill, the Brit will also have to make scarfices (of course not as hard as being 8 k away from home) change food, put up with mood swings, be prepared for deaths illiness or other major worries affecting family members abroad. Many will have to give up any holidays or travel not phill related. The constant check to ensure brit to phill comms are as cheap and efficent as possible.
    Phone calls from family members at silly o clock in the morning.

At least at first having a person who although an adult cant leave the house alone as everything is alien to them. My Wife also found it worrying being on her own if i went out.

The Wife also didn't realise how much heating cost and we had a bill shortly after arrival that could have lit up most of the UK for a few weeks. Accidently rang on her mobile direct to phill not the discount line.

These issues can stress both of the partners.

ITs tough but worth it I guess for the chance to smell dried fish
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Still struggling with the Yorkshire accent My english is now so bad but I feel stupid if I don't understand what these english people are talking about. Hubby said it's okey to to ask people to repeat what they've said but my ears must be damaged coz I still don't understand even if they repeated the words Not to mention the local slang...Oh boy! I cannot remember them all. The weather is always an issue No friends near the area. Neighbors across the street are deaf...next doors are busy working lesbians, next house are busy couples and taking care of their grandchildren. Good thing I have a job to keep me busy. Got my laptop, which is my best friend Able to watch pinoy programs via youtube or pinoychannel.tv I still don't know how to travel anywhere in Leeds via bus coz hubby always take me / pick me up by car. Still craving for food only found in the Phils. Most stuff here in the UK are expensive! I still get intimitated by many things and when I feel down I get affected so much I become emotional and misses home And that tabo (plastic dipper) was the first thing I missed when I got here
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

same as you penny, i'm also looking for tabo / kabo (bisaya) for toilet use, think that will be the first thing i have to buy on my visit to pinas this march, hehehe!

well, coping life here in UK is not at all easy as what all of you guys have said.... a lot of things we need to adjust to, such as work, language, climate, relationships with hubby, friends, family & etc... but I know we can all cope up with it gradually & pretty well. As long as we're enjoying life here & living happily with our hubby, that's the main thing!
    with a heart full of love, you will express your highest potential while also fulfilling your soul's deepest purpose:
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

yes we have 2 measuring jugs but we use that for preparing foods only.

Is that what you are using? or r u satisfied with toilet paper
    The wife when looking around found some fancy measuring jug which looks basically like a tabo. So maybe worth walking around those kitchen accesory shops

When i was in the hospital giving birth they used that measuring cup as a tabo

It is good that the reality of things not always being fairytale like many Filipinos believe is being talked about as sometimes life can for some be worse when they come to the UK..

Banned
    Real hard life....

No yaya...

No maid....

Waaaah yes I agree.

Haaay buhay, parang life

Real hard life....

No yaya...

No maid....

But in the Uk dishwasher washing machine and tumble dryer with a quick whizz of the dyson.

A baby minder with a range which can reach the pub and TV to keep the sprogs transfixed

All sorted

I found the Maids in phill thought me odd that i washed up, generally tidied up and helped set up the tables.
    I found it strange a house full of kids have a maid. if I had not helped out in the house as a kid i would have soon had my mind changed.
    I know many maids are employed as a form of social support. Its cheaper for every other family to pay for a maid i guess than pay taxes for social care.
    I guess just different attitudes

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    hello everyone... i have a question to ask you.... to all those filipinas who live with their step children...how do you cope? i have a friend who really struggles a lot living with her step children. anybody can share their opinion.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
    Almost 7 years here in UK but still feel like Im alien because miss a lot of things in the Phils.

Also I still can't cope with the very cold weather.
    i find it very hard for me still... i go to work at 5 am and work in the chilled section.....have to go to the warehouse most of the time and it's freeezing cold... i wear long johns and thermal underwears and socks.... so hard to cope with the weather....

Respected Member

itchy bum lol

this comment i really louthed lol for about 20 min sorry but it is so funny lol pennybarry iticy butt lol lol

Respected Member
    well ladies im takeing my wife phil to uk this year and i explaned how hard it might be but i never thought about itchy bums and such lol. lots thing s you have said in here that i never ever thought about thank you ill get my wife to read this gaz/maybs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information