Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting places: Manila to Mindanao

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavanddal View Post
    Well we didn't enjoy the programme. If we didn't know the Philippines it would have put us off ever going there.
    Yes, we know there's poverty, slums, war etc etc but surely at least part of the programme could have shown some positive aspects of the country.

It repeatedly made the point about the Philippines being 7000 islands but showed very little of the best of them. As has been mentioned, what about the stunning natural features of Palawan, the underground river, the fantastic diving, Tubbataha reef- also listed as one of the greatest wonders of the world? What about the colourful Sinulog festival? The beaches? The spirit if the Filipino people?

What's on next week? a guide to the drug dens, ganglands and sewers of Britain?

That's what I'm expecting to be featured. The beauty of Palawan. I know it's one of the cleanest place and looks really a paradise like. I hope the local municipality will pursue their plans for the relocation of Badjao's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    No matter how filthy some areas of the Philippines are... no matter how poverty stricken the country is even until now......one of the many things that still comes out of it though is ....... Philippines' gorgeous Filipinas!!!

Black hair.....beautiful olive skin.... sexy charisma....no wonder our husbands are drawn to us.. don't you agree??

Guys..... no mutterings hahahahahahahha because it's very true!

-Gina-
    nice to see you posting Gina

I just need to wait my kukupops before knowing this thread seems interesting for us Filipino that our country featured in foreign land.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    I think that is correct title of the program last night about Philippines.
    I didn't expect to watch the dark side
    I was expecting they will promote Philippines, but then it's real and true.
    Poverty, Imelda's wealth, squatters etc.
    I got your point there sis we really expect good side to be broadcast but you're right it's the real thing and true

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Pete & Gina tell it as it is in the real world
    I agree to you Boss they explain very well

Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    I enjoyed watching the program last night together with my husband. I felt li'l bit sad about it but then my husband said it really fair observation. What we've seen is very true and we have to accept it "reality really hurts".
    Yes ate Chat upon knowing the plot of the report it's really sad but nothing different to other countries coz every part of the world has a problem and struggling as well

I need to be in UK to open the page can't replay here in Phil..
    need to wait in youtube
    Anyway my fiance explain it to me how informative it was and very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    Very well said there friend ,
    have u watched it
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Banned
    I was fascinated by it.

No holds barred, real life drama about one of the most captivating countries and people on earth.

I had the rare chance to be able to watch it in its entirety because someone's wife was on the phone for ages with mine.....

That's what I would expect from BBC2 all the time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kukurokuk View Post
    have u watched it
    nice question kuku,from reading all the post above
    , massive reply was all against on the documentary show,for sure you are smart enough ,you will understand what they are all mean,and only 1 or 2 members are agree on the show,but being filipina, for sure you will always love your country,as i feel it to all the brit guy who posted that they are concern on the phil country as they're part of it being husband of a filipina

For sure kapag nilait na bansa natin,ipagtatanggol natin,we will not agree and tell they did their job pretty good showing all the negatives of your country by telling it was fair damn right ,jesus

so I am sure you have Idea of the documentary show the way they comment,yah??
    the point there is poverty is not only here in the Philippines.
    disgusting sites and places can be find anywhere else.you are right there

The program was about a countries generic society, not about tourism, see the Travel channels for that.

The folk on here from the UK saying they never showed the lovely places, how many are their? Have you been to them all? Have you visited all the bad places to make a good comparison? No is the answer .....and the overall view of the Philippines is not good...FACT, that is not to say some parts aren't good.
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gavanddal View Post
    Well we didn't enjoy the programme. If we didn't know the Philippines it would have put us off ever going there.
    Yes, we know there's poverty, slums, war etc etc but surely at least part of the programme could have shown some positive aspects of the country.

It repeatedly made the point about the Philippines being 7000 islands but showed very little of the best of them. As has been mentioned, what about the stunning natural features of Palawan, the underground river, the fantastic diving, Tubbataha reef- also listed as one of the greatest wonders of the world? What about the colourful Sinulog festival? The beaches? The spirit if the Filipino people?

What's on next week? a guide to the drug dens, ganglands and sewers of Britain?
    Hear Hear.
    Iain.

nice question kuku,from reading all the post above
    , massive reply was all against on the documentary show,for sure you are smart enough ,you will understand what they are all mean,and only 1 or 2 members are agree on the show,but being filipina, for sure you will always love your country,as i feel it to all the brit guy who posted that they are concern on the phil country as they're part of it being husband of a filipina

For sure kapag nilait na bansa natin,ipagtatanggol natin,we will not agree and tell they did their job pretty good showing all the negatives of your country by telling it was fair damn right ,jesus

so I am sure you have Idea of the documentary show the way they comment,yah??
    the point there is poverty is not only here in the Philippines.
    disgusting sites and places can be find anywhere else.you are right there
    "For sure if our country was humiliated we'll fight for it".......

According to what I've read from the intelligent post of members here I didn't found it humiliated...it's just a matter of being documented proper and very sensible insights about Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The program was about a countries generic society, not about tourism, see the Travel channels for that.

The folk on here from the UK saying they never showed the lovely places, how many are their? Have you been to them all? Have you visited all the bad places to make a good comparison? No is the answer .....and the overall view of the Philippines is not good...FACT, that is not to say some parts aren't good.
    Sad but true...Mabuhay Philippines!

Its nice to see so many replies from all of you about the documentary, I must say I am pleased to see so many differing viewpoints, thats what makes this forum so lively, the diversity of your opinions, thus showing only one thing about the Philippines.

I think its this:

The Philippines has something to offer for everyone, whatever you think, wherever you stay, whatever your experience is, you can't stop talking about it, but there is one thing none of us will escape, and that is WE SIMPLY LOVE THE COUNTRY, ITS PEOPLE AND ITS CULTURE.

My wife Gina and I were sitting last night reading all of your replies, and discussing this subject, I said to Gina, "You know sweetheart, look at some of the people we meet when we are in country", "They are so happy, they smile, they chat, they greet you, the kids on the street come up and say hello, everyone seems to be happy, sometimes when I look at them, I think, is their an injection for that ?" "Can I get that from my GP?"

No matter what the economic group or status is of individual's the one thing I notice so much about the people, is the ability to maintain their self respect in any given situation, what about the lady I was visiting, who lived in the Nippa Hut, who started to make me coffee !, when I gestured that it was ok, she simply insisted I sit down and drink coffee, and have something to eat"

What about that kind of hospitality, that only you can get in the Philippines, and of course other countries, where hospitality is the key to the culture, whatever we say about the Philippines, it simply has so much going for it, yes, why are we drawn to it, as my wife does say, we have an invested interested do we not, naturally, for most of you, the love of your life comes from the Philippines, in truth, when we examine our motives, we really do want the best for the Philippines, and even we will defend it the best of our ability.

Most of you will have been seasoned traveler's to the Philippines, your knowledge will be first class, and you will have seen most of what is on the documentary, it will come as no surprise to you, but maybe, when you really think about the documentary, you will start to realize, that its a mixture of all the facets of life in the Philippines that actually makes it so appealing.

For example, contrast the poverty, the plight of the poor, the middle classes, the rich, the beautiful mountainous scenery, palm trees, clear blue waters, the weather, that goes from tornado to beautiful sunshine, the eco structure, the abundant wild life, and diversity of wildlife, the music, and yes finally the people, when you throw all these ingredients into one pot, you come up with what is now the Philippines, whatever you think about it, the fact is, you are drawn to it, and once its in your blood, as it was me some 5 years ago, it will never go out of your blood.

Something keeps drawing you back for holiday's and ultimately to live there, maybe its the Place itself, it does that to you, by all of your comments, I can see
    you've made it yours.

to add me and all was quite surprise about those people living in cemetery.in here I have seen houses thats quite near to cemetery and i have told my other half i couldnt live near that place.but then I was gobsmacked knowing that there are people really living there and as well make a living out of the dead and when the woman being asked if she`s not scared seeing a ghost there and she said is a matter of seeing one (yeah,right!) I`ll be fainted seeing one for sure.but any road I am ranting about how greedy Imelda Marcu`s is I am quite surprise that she`s still around to be honest.wayback years of her husbands presidency you cannot measured the hatred of filipino towards them and I wonder if she could still sleep at night.How could she have all those unnnecessary things in life when in fact she couldnt take it with her when she die and a lot of people struugle to find their food in day to day lives.I have told my other half that i want to be a president so that I could provide home and job for the less fortunate people but in my dreams only I have to admit the fact that philippines never gonna change its condition if official itself are corrupt right from the very start.who can change our country and how?
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

Strange, but in last weeks Time magazine they had a page on Manilla, comparing it to the way it was in the 60's........nothing has changed according to the comparison.....except.....folk now live in cemetries!
    Keith - Administrator

...and that 5 years before they ship you out of the crypt if you haven't paid (bit difficult if your dead!!)....surely that goes against everything the religion out there is about. Desecrating a grave over money!
    Keith - Administrator

Interstingly, most of my family & friends I got to watch the programme, only had negative things to say about the Philippines.

It certainly didn't encourage them to want to visit.

We're all biased here, the majority of us have first hand knowledge. We've seen the hardships & poverty, but we've seen it's beauties too.

Banned
    "For sure if our country was humiliated we'll fight for it".......
    thanks for translating it

thanks kuku

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Is there any way that I can see this programme, living, as I do in the wild depths of Cebu?

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Respected Member
    I have seen a lot like this on British television. Sometimes they show prisons and life inside. Why is British television likes to show all these to British people? But you will not see a bad side of Britain being shown on Philippine television.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nparvus1202 View Post
    I have seen a lot like this on British television. Sometimes they show prisons and life inside. Why is British television likes to show all these to British people? But you will not see a bad side of Britain being shown on Philippine television.
    I take it they don't show Eastenders in the Philippines then! :-)

they get midsomer murders there

my wife doesnt want to live in the country due to the high murder rate

can i ask when poverty is so bad there? why do think tv shows or the media should only show the nice clean places because when you get round the corner the street is full of squatters.

near las pinas theres a expensive mall,on one side of the street there a very high wall with guards i guess to keep the poor out the other side of the street where the poor live in there shacks

so do you just wanna see about the rich and the nice places to get to them you have to pass the poor?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Is there any way that I can see this programme, living, as I do in the wild depths of Cebu?

Al.
    Install a proxy and use iplayer
    Keith - Administrator

davao city phil. but currently here in uk
    Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    Its nice to see so many replies from all of you about the documentary, I must say I am pleased to see so many differing viewpoints, thats what makes this forum so lively, the diversity of your opinions, thus showing only one thing about the Philippines.

I think its this:

The Philippines has something to offer for everyone, whatever you think, wherever you stay, whatever your experience is, you can't stop talking about it, but there is one thing none of us will escape, and that is WE SIMPLY LOVE THE COUNTRY, ITS PEOPLE AND ITS CULTURE.

My wife Gina and I were sitting last night reading all of your replies, and discussing this subject, I said to Gina, "You know sweetheart, look at some of the people we meet when we are in country", "They are so happy, they smile, they chat, they greet you, the kids on the street come up and say hello, everyone seems to be happy, sometimes when I look at them, I think, is their an injection for that ?" "Can I get that from my GP?"

No matter what the economic group or status is of individual's the one thing I notice so much about the people, is the ability to maintain their self respect in any given situation, what about the lady I was visiting, who lived in the Nippa Hut, who started to make me coffee !, when I gestured that it was ok, she simply insisted I sit down and drink coffee, and have something to eat"

What about that kind of hospitality, that only you can get in the Philippines, and of course other countries, where hospitality is the key to the culture, whatever we say about the Philippines, it simply has so much going for it, yes, why are we drawn to it, as my wife does say, we have an invested interested do we not, naturally, for most of you, the love of your life comes from the Philippines, in truth, when we examine our motives, we really do want the best for the Philippines, and even we will defend it the best of our ability.

Most of you will have been seasoned traveler's to the Philippines, your knowledge will be first class, and you will have seen most of what is on the documentary, it will come as no surprise to you, but maybe, when you really think about the documentary, you will start to realize, that its a mixture of all the facets of life in the Philippines that actually makes it so appealing.

For example, contrast the poverty, the plight of the poor, the middle classes, the rich, the beautiful mountainous scenery, palm trees, clear blue waters, the weather, that goes from tornado to beautiful sunshine, the eco structure, the abundant wild life, and diversity of wildlife, the music, and yes finally the people, when you throw all these ingredients into one pot, you come up with what is now the Philippines, whatever you think about it, the fact is, you are drawn to it, and once its in your blood, as it was me some 5 years ago, it will never go out of your blood.

Something keeps drawing you back for holiday's and ultimately to live there, maybe its the Place itself, it does that to you, by all of your comments, I can see
    you've made it yours.
    well said...This is the fair one that i want to hear. Being a filipina "im proud reading this...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Daddy View Post
    to add me and all was quite surprise about those people living in cemetery.in here I have seen houses thats quite near to cemetery and i have told my other half i couldnt live near that place.but then I was gobsmacked knowing that there are people really living there and as well make a living out of the dead and when the woman being asked if she`s not scared seeing a ghost there and she said is a matter of seeing one (yeah,right!) I`ll be fainted seeing one for sure.but any road I am ranting about how greedy Imelda Marcu`s is I am quite surprise that she`s still around to be honest.wayback years of her husbands presidency you cannot measured the hatred of filipino towards them and I wonder if she could still sleep at night.How could she have all those unnnecessary things in life when in fact she couldnt take it with her when she die and a lot of people struugle to find their food in day to day lives.I have told my other half that i want to be a president so that I could provide home and job for the less fortunate people but in my dreams only I have to admit the fact that philippines never gonna change its condition if official itself are corrupt right from the very start.who can change our country and how?
    Living in the cemetery must be more widespread than you might think, there is a Cebu community too!!

As to the five years deal the way I understand it is you go into the ground for five years and unless you have "bought" the plot permanently after five years your bones are moved to a small condo stack with a plaque which may contain several family members

If you cant pay for that your bones go to a common "bone pile" culturally different for sure the thing that suprised me was the amount of rubbish in the cemetary which no-one seemed to notice or think strange
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini63 View Post
    well said...This is the fair one that i want to hear. Being a filipina "im proud reading this...
    hehehe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Living in the cemetery must be more widespread than you might think, there is a Cebu community too!!

As to the five years deal the way I understand it is you go into the ground for five years and unless you have "bought" the plot permanently after five years your bones are moved to a small condo stack with a plaque which may contain several family members

If you cant pay for that your bones go to a common "bone pile" culturally different for sure the thing that suprised me was the amount of rubbish in the cemetary which no-one seemed to notice or think strange
    As far as I know, you can buy a plot and that will will be permanently yours. If you cannot afford to buy a plot, you can rent a cubicle, or apartment to local gov't. But if don't pay in due time, then you are out

In the cemetery, you will find out who's dead was poor, middle class and rich

Banned
    I got your point there sis we really expect good side to be broadcast but you're right it's the real thing and true
    have u watched it

Yap! That's why I told my in-laws to watch it. And they said, yes, we'll watch the beauty of your country nice to know why our only two boys wants to settle in the Philippines.

Banned

Al.
    Hey Prof, got it for you.
    Keep this link on your favorites, it's BBC iplayer, you can watch recorded shows and stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...a_to_Mindanao/

Respected Member

Al.
    The programme is available for download via some BitTorrent websites.

thanks for translating it

thanks kuku
    Your welcome I guess i may not be qualify as Moderator but a TRANSLATOR will do

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Yap! That's why I told my in-laws to watch it. And they said, yes, we'll watch the beauty of your country nice to know why our only two boys wants to settle in the Philippines.

Banned
    yeah,you're right remember i keep saying "ha'' to your kukupops cause i cant understand his Birmingham accent and you are the TRANSLATOR

sorry for out of topic friendship (penny)

Banned

I LIKE it.

yeah,you're right remember i keep saying "ha'' to your kukupops cause i cant understand his Birmingham accent and you are the TRANSLATOR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    I LIKE it.

did i say something bad to make you angry char as you quote my words

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information