Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting places: Manila to Mindanao

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Disgusting places: Manila to Mindanao

I think that is correct title of the program last night about Philippines.
    I didn't expect to watch the dark side
    I was expecting they will promote Philippines, but then it's real and true.
    Poverty, Imelda's wealth, squatters etc.

yah,im a bit dissapointed as well.its not fair

Banned
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I also watched the program last night, I think if you want to be objective, it was pretty well balanced, yes you could say, they focused on the poor of Manila, Mrs Marco's dubious ill begotten wealth, and of course the Muslim struggle in Mindanao.

The program quite rightly starts in the North of the Philippines, at the Banaue Rice terraces, more of an Ecological look at what's happening to what is considered to be the 8th wonder of the world, I thought listening it was a fair and unbiased look at this area.

Then the move to the Capital city Manila was also in my view a pretty fair take on what's happening there, my wife and I were quite bemused to see people living in the cemetery and their innovative way of etching out a living.

I thought it quite Filipino through and through, that you get the casket space for 5 years, and if you do not pay, your bones are taken out, quite novel and very innovative Filipino business practice.

I also thought to myself, when I saw the millions and millions walking around Qiapo, and central Manila, that it does not take long to come home, and forget about the place you call your second home.

I mean, for instance, you spend a few weeks there, and get back into the Filipino way of life, but how long does it take before you return home, and forget really what the Philippines is like.

Even last year, when I landed in Manila, and walked out NAIA 3 I've always known what to expect, but even the heat, just hit me like a blast furnace, sometimes I would say, "Geeeeze I forgot what the heat is like"

The second thing of course, is when I jump in my car and start driving down town, I would say to my wife "Geeeze I forgot just what driving here is like" "Guzzling old jeepneys, that stop straight in front of you to pick up passengers, without any signal or any incling that something is going to happen"

On top of that, one does forget just what the poverty is really like, lets be honest, we think we understand, but we do not really understand what it's like, seeing the young lady April, with her 10 siblings living in a small Nippa Hut built out of Cardboard and waste wood, and there she was as a student, nice and clean, going to the church to be lectured about the evils of birth control and abortion, brings it home to me once again, that we are really dealing with the most diverse and unusual country in the world.

The mother, who has been told by her eldest daughter to refrain from having any more children, cries and laments on the fact that the babies just keep coming, every time she gets pregnant, its a strain on the economy of this large family.

They are told to cut back on what they eat, because remember, your brothers and sisters who also have to eat, we would ask ourselves the question, if you cannot feed your family, why have so many children, sadly, these choices are not available to these people.

The program moves to Bohol and the de forestation of that island, pushing the Tarsier, out of its natural habitat, and then to Mindanao, to the Muslim insurgency, where it appeared to me, the Muslim teacher in the program was clearly radicalising her own school children, by clearly stating that the region was not part of the Philippines, as they were never conquered by the spanish.

I was not surprised to hear her talk about the children's fathers, being Mujahadeen, or holy warriors, thus showing that different parts of this 7000 plus islands were very difficult to control.

I think as BBC documentary, the program was pretty well presented and appeared to be very fair in its outlook on the Philippines, they were not judgemental in any way, although I thought that Mrs Marco's desire to show the presenter her wealth of some 80 million dollars in a Belgian financial institution and then snatching it back refusing for the bond to be shown on the camera, was pretty sad, considering, she protested that her husband's wealth was from Gold dealing when he was a lawyer.

It did just go to show me, that this country we all have a relationship with, never changes, if you contrast her surroundings in a plus area of Fort Bonifacio, against the area's lived in by the poor, nothing really changes, it always looks the same.

Lest we not forget, that on seeing the documentary last night, my wife remarked, that we are the lucky ones, the ones who have something better in life, let us be all thankful for that.

It's Gina here.....I quite enjoyed watching BBC last night as opposed to some. BBC was not there to promote tourism for the Philippine government, that's not the reason why the documentary was filmed.

I knew about people living at the Manila North Cemetery, it may come as a surprise to the Western world but then it is reality and they are actually making a home right there, raising their family and creating a community of their own. It's sad but then, they seem like they would better be there rather than the dangerous side-streets of Manila.

I love the bit about Palawan and thought of taking Pete there on our holiday. But even beautiful Palawan has its poverty areas which is but fair. But that doesn't stop people visiting Palawan. So no harm done.

What they said about our Catholic Church was true I can't argue with that. And the stampede during the Black the Nazarene procession is happening each year though I'm not one to do that.

Bohol is amazing and the tarsiers too. We love that place but what little protection and preservation they had done to the forest is but a common problem anywhere in the country. So can we blame BBC seeing how poorly we protect our forest????

Cotabato.... even I wouldn't dare go there... I love my life too much.

All in all Philippines is struggling for years and years except of course for the 10% of the rich distributed all over the country. We have to accept that it is poverty stricken and almost if not all Filipinos who are abroad have to send remittances back home.

There are areas in the Philippines that are awesome and worth your money and time visiting, but I'm not ashamed to admit there are a lot lot more unsightly places than the good ones. But that doesn't stop me loving the Philippines though!

So my credit goes to BBC for delivering it as it was! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    Cotabato.... even I wouldn't dare go there...
    I wonder whether I will ever get there ... Ruby's father's family are mostly in Cotabato.

Banned
    I enjoyed watching the program last night together with my husband. I felt li'l bit sad about it but then my husband said it really fair observation. What we've seen is very true and we have to accept it "reality really hurts".

Pete & Gina tell it as it is in the real world
    Keith - Administrator

I also enjoyed watching the program last night, for me they really provided balance outlook of the Filipino lives..

They also showed some of the tourist attractions of our country, i.e. chocolate hills, rice terraces and oh the endangered tarsier.

For me they do a good job when they explore the PHILIPPINES.

davao city phil. but currently here in uk
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    I also enjoyed watching the program last night, for me they really provided balance outlook of the Filipino lives..

They also showed some of the tourist attractions of our country, i.e. chocolate hills, rice terraces and oh the endangered tarsier.

For me they do a good job when they explore the PHILIPPINES.
    Hello kimmi! where is the tourist attraction that u mean about last night s program? are you happy that we filipinos is in a laughing situation like what they showed? Yes its one of our tourist attractions in phil. but they dont show it in a proper way, they even damaged what good and nice attractions that we have in phil. Yeah some are reality, but it should be fair that they show also the good sides...Seems the more westerners will look down on us filipinos, when they saw that program.Especially those who hvnt gone in phil yet. Its one of the reason too why we dont go up, coz loads of other countries preventing tourist to go to our country by showing like that kind of program last night..

Well we didn't enjoy the programme. If we didn't know the Philippines it would have put us off ever going there.
    Yes, we know there's poverty, slums, war etc etc but surely at least part of the programme could have shown some positive aspects of the country.

It repeatedly made the point about the Philippines being 7000 islands but showed very little of the best of them. As has been mentioned, what about the stunning natural features of Palawan, the underground river, the fantastic diving, Tubbataha reef- also listed as one of the greatest wonders of the world? What about the colourful Sinulog festival? The beaches? The spirit if the Filipino people?

What's on next week? a guide to the drug dens, ganglands and sewers of Britain?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavanddal View Post
    Well we didn't enjoy the programme. If we didn't know the Philippines it would have put us off ever going there.
    Yes, we know there's poverty, slums, war etc etc but surely at least part of the programme could have shown some positive aspects of the country.

It repeatedly made the point about the Philippines being 7000 islands but showed very little of the best of them. As has been mentioned, what about the stunning natural features of Palawan, the underground river, the fantastic diving, Tubbataha reef- also listed as one of the greatest wonders of the world? What about the colourful Sinulog festival? The beaches? The spirit if the Filipino people?

I think you are missing the point of the series - the shows are not meant to be tourism adverts for the countries they 'explore'.

"Explore, a new travel-based journalism series, provides an insight into exotic parts of the world, revealing stories about the environment, globalisation, and politics."

So yes if they did one on Britain they may well cover that sort of subject.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    I think you are missing the point of the series - the shows are not meant to be tourism adverts for the countries they 'explore'.

"Explore, a new travel-based journalism series, provides an insight into exotic parts of the world, revealing stories about the environment, globalisation, and politics."

So yes if they did one on Britain they may well cover that sort of subject.
    I have to agree that this was never meant to be a Documentary about Tourism in the Philippines.

Although it did show some bizarre practises that do happen it did show some of the natural wonders that is in the Philippines...

The guy doing the show finished with saying a nice thing about the Philippines and anyone who knows anything about the Country accepts how wonderful a place it is

Banned

That's what I'm expecting to be featured. The beauty of Palawan. I know it's one of the cleanest place and looks really a paradise like. I hope the local municipality will pursue their plans for the relocation of Badjao's.

Hear Hear.
    Iain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini63 View Post
    Hello kimmi! where is the tourist attraction that u mean about last night s program? are you happy that we filipinos is in a laughing situation like what they showed? Yes its one of our tourist attractions in phil. but they dont show it in a proper way, they even damaged what good and nice attractions that we have in phil. Yeah some are reality, but it should be fair that they show also the good sides...Seems the more westerners will look down on us filipinos, when they saw that program.Especially those who hvnt gone in phil yet. Its one of the reason too why we dont go up, coz loads of other countries preventing tourist to go to our country by showing like that kind of program last night..
    Very well said there friend ,

I just need to wait my kukupops before knowing this thread seems interesting for us Filipino that our country featured in foreign land.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    I think that is correct title of the program last night about Philippines.
    I didn't expect to watch the dark side
    I was expecting they will promote Philippines, but then it's real and true.
    Poverty, Imelda's wealth, squatters etc.
    I got your point there sis we really expect good side to be broadcast but you're right it's the real thing and true

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Pete & Gina tell it as it is in the real world
    I agree to you Boss they explain very well

Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    I enjoyed watching the program last night together with my husband. I felt li'l bit sad about it but then my husband said it really fair observation. What we've seen is very true and we have to accept it "reality really hurts".
    Yes ate Chat upon knowing the plot of the report it's really sad but nothing different to other countries coz every part of the world has a problem and struggling as well

I need to be in UK to open the page can't replay here in Phil..
    need to wait in youtube
    Anyway my fiance explain it to me how informative it was and very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    Very well said there friend ,
    have u watched it
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Banned
    I was fascinated by it.

No holds barred, real life drama about one of the most captivating countries and people on earth.

I had the rare chance to be able to watch it in its entirety because someone's wife was on the phone for ages with mine.....

That's what I would expect from BBC2 all the time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kukurokuk View Post
    have u watched it
    nice question kuku,from reading all the post above
    , massive reply was all against on the documentary show,for sure you are smart enough ,you will understand what they are all mean,and only 1 or 2 members are agree on the show,but being filipina, for sure you will always love your country,as i feel it to all the brit guy who posted that they are concern on the phil country as they're part of it being husband of a filipina

For sure kapag nilait na bansa natin,ipagtatanggol natin,we will not agree and tell they did their job pretty good showing all the negatives of your country by telling it was fair damn right ,jesus

so I am sure you have Idea of the documentary show the way they comment,yah??
    the point there is poverty is not only here in the Philippines.
    disgusting sites and places can be find anywhere else.you are right there

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kukurokuk View Post
    I got your point there sis we really expect good side to be broadcast but you're right it's the real thing and true
    have u watched it

Yap! That's why I told my in-laws to watch it. And they said, yes, we'll watch the beauty of your country nice to know why our only two boys wants to settle in the Philippines.

No matter what they say, I am very proud about my country The Philippines...There are even worst cases or scenarios in other part of the world, I was amaze abt people living in the cemetery, I myself didn't have any idea abt that..And yes it's true sometimes I don't understand why some or most of the Filipinos in the coutryside giving up their beautiful life just to be in Manila even they ended up living under the bridge or in the cemetery but that is their choice and they are happy...Abt the program? yeah it is true, what they did is fair, we don't always expect the good one...

What's best about the Philippines

No matter how filthy some areas of the Philippines are... no matter how poverty stricken the country is even until now......one of the many things that still comes out of it though is ....... Philippines' gorgeous Filipinas!!!

Black hair.....beautiful olive skin.... sexy charisma....no wonder our husbands are drawn to us.. don't you agree??

Guys..... no mutterings hahahahahahahha because it's very true!

-Gina-

No matter how filthy some areas of the Philippines are... no matter how poverty stricken the country is even until now......
    -Gina-

I have never really thought of this country as "poverty stricken"..
    All the malls are packed with customers and quite often I cant get a seat in Macdonald's.
    People in the provinces rarely go hungry like they do in real poverty stricken countries and people seem generally happy..(unlike those in Somalia or in the Congo)
    Lots of extremely fertile land land here is left fallow by the locals which does not suggests a lack of food to me..
    The poverty stricken in Manila really should go back to their home towns and help grow bannana`s,and sweet potatoes.

No matter how filthy some areas of the Philippines are... no matter how poverty stricken the country is even until now......one of the many things that still comes out of it though is ....... Philippines' gorgeous Filipinas!!!

Black hair.....beautiful olive skin.... sexy charisma....no wonder our husbands are drawn to us.. don't you agree??

-Gina-
    That's very true
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

Happy,happy people. Filipinos second happiest in the world.

Banned

-Gina-
    nice to see you posting Gina

Depends on which definition of 'poverty' you use, remember, 10% of people in the UK live in poverty .....my
    Keith - Administrator

I'm also a bit touched by the documentary last night, it would have been nice if they also featured more of the nice places in Philippines. But fair enough, they just showed the truth and reality of Philippines, it feels sad but it's true...

But inspite of that fact... I think that made us FILIPINOS, A STRONG INDIVIDUAL AND A SURVIVOR wherever on the world we go.
    with a heart full of love, you will express your highest potential while also fulfilling your soul's deepest purpose:
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

the program just showed what it likes there and it didnt even make being poor look that bad,it never really showed the bad side of life.

whenever i go there i keep the poverty at arms length anyway,i say with my wifes family,we go to the safe areas and go to the malls and only drive past the squatters and even joke with my wife where our new home will be?

then after a few weeks im back home,so i often think its never that bad.

I thought that the part of the program about Mindanao was completely unbalanced. There is a lot more to Mindanao than just the war with the muslims in the south of the country, which is something that most well advised visitors would never come across.

Iain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information