Thread: Immigration Officials at Airport - request for evidence?

Respected Member

Immigration Officials at Airport - request for evidence?

I wonder if anyone can help?

When my fiance arrives in the UK, she will have to go through immigration. Do the immigration officials ask for any documentary evidence?

The reason I ask is this. I booked a wedding reception, paid half of the money as a deposit and now the wedding venue are asking what are my plans as they have another couple interested! (Hmmmm, I thought that's what my deposit was for).

Now, if I change venue/date will it cause problems at immigration? I am a bit annoyed with the venue, to be honest. I explained our circumstances that we are awaiting a visa. If possible I would prefer to call their bluff, tell them let the venue out to the other couple and repay my deposit.

What are people's experiences of the immigration process once in the UK?

hi Ady,

I dont see any problem if u will gonna change date and venue.

In my experience, the Immigration only checked my passport and visa

One of my friend, even change her wedding date when she arrived in the UK, with no problem at all..

Hope it helps.

Respected Member
    Thanks Kimmi.

It is good to hear people's experience. I would also like to call these people's bluff - it is obvious what they are doing, and I doubt there is another couple waiting at all.

you're always welcome Ady.

I doubt it as well that there's another couple waiting because like what uve said u already paid a deposit, and I am sure they already noted it on their planner. maybe they just wanted an extra payment??

Respected Member
    Yep. In which case, I am tempted to call their bluff.

"I am sorry it has taken a while for the visa process, by all means let the other couple take the venue and I will have my deposit back - sorry to mess you around."

Respected Member
    hello mate

if your visa application is already at the embassy you should be ok, if the embassy want to call to confirm the date then the venue can explain about possible double booking and can confirm a new date.

when my intended arrived at manchester airport she was asked for her passport to see her visa. they asked what was the address she would be living at, post code , my age, why she was coming to the UK. so my advice is to keep personal documents in her handbag, and list details about you.
    its ok to read from paper and they just check that it is what is on their computer, info i think will be from the visa application.
    but immigration where polite and professional. NOT LIKE EMBASSY IN MANILA

regards
    john

Respected Member
    Thanks for the info John. Our visa is already granted - just feeling a bit annoyed that the venue are playing this game - but also cautious that we still have to satisfy officials too.

Hi Ady, Congratulations your visa is granted.

> I was never asked about wedding bookings at all, but i was prepared if ever i will be asked then i will say we will get married as soon as i arrived in the UK since we can't tell the time frame used in processing the visa.

> When i arrived at the airport i was asked by the Immigration Officer what are our plans after the marriage (he was looking at my visa), i just answered will stay here with my husband. Then he asked if he is travelling with me, i answered "no, he is outside waiting for me". He smiled and said "Welcome to England".

> Yes it is advisable to have the important documents in her handbag.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

I was never asked about evidence of Wedding plans when I applied for my fiancee visa, nor coming through Immigration. I showed passport with visa and my X-ray.

My fiancee was told that it is now actually illegal for UK Registry Offices to provide ceremony bookings until both parties are present and Embassies are advised of this. He got this in writing from his local registry, so I printed this off to show Immigration if they asked for evidence of wedding arrangements.

It shows we made the attempt to book

After all, it seems a bit risky to book/ pay towards reception venues or catering if the ceremony date is not set, and so it is difficult to see how they Immigration can ask for such evidence at the airport...

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by JudyHon View Post
    I was never asked about evidence of Wedding plans when I applied for my fiancee visa, nor coming through Immigration. I showed passport with visa and my X-ray.

My fiancee was told that it is now actually illegal for UK Registry Offices to provide ceremony bookings until both parties are present and Embassies are advised of this. He got this in writing from his local registry, so I printed this off to show Immigration if they asked for evidence of wedding arrangements.

It shows we made the attempt to book

After all, it seems a bit risky to book/ pay towards reception venues or catering if the ceremony date is not set, and so it is difficult to see how they Immigration can ask for such evidence at the airport...

Good Luck
    Nice one sis!

Quote Originally Posted by mavid View Post
    Nice one sis!
    Me thinks hubby had something to do with this posting ?!? hehehe

thought you were sleeping?

What airport you flying into or should i say your better half?

Most will check that they are who they say they are and ask some basic questions very unlikely they will ask about the wedding date apart from basic convo and if you decided to change the date but still intend to get married ie you just changed the date and within six months. I very much doubt they care to be honest or likely to ask much more as long as you had some paperwork with your passport if waiting in the airport in arrivals.
    To be honest i have found most of the Immigration officers quite friendly chatty and happy to talk as a fairly boring job.

Always have with you or nearby all the paperwork you might need in just in case.

Particulalry your passport and id in case they do ask questions only read of one guy in six years who was asked to speak to the Immigration desk and that was due to the Wife if i recall correctly forgeting her address due to a long flight or something silly and it was one of the smaller airports from what i remeber so probably just standing a few metres away almost.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

The only question that might cause a problem is "are you going to work here now?" unlikely but of course the correct answer is NO
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

in my experience the Immigration only checked my passport and visa
    and that's all

Thread Information