Thread: abbey national

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Respected Member

abbey national

HI, FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS I HAVE BEEN OUT IN THE PHILLS VISITING MY WIFE AND HER FAMILY. I HAVE A ABBEY VISA DEBIT CARD. I NEVER KNOW WHEN THIS CARD WILL WORK, SOMETIMES YES SOMETIMES NO. I TRY ALL THE ATMS AVAILABLE STILL SAME STORY. HOWEVER I CAN USE IT IN MALLS AND I CAN FOR A FEE TAKE OUT A MINIMUM OF 20,000 PASO AT THE EQUITABLE BANK WITH A PASSPORT NO PROBLEM THERE. BUT THE ATMS ITS HIT AND MISS. THE BANK IN PHILLS HAVE NO EXPLANATION TO WHY IT DOESENT WORK. TRYING TO PHONE UK ABBEY LANDLINES IS EXPENSIVE AND THEY STILL TELL ME THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. I AM READY TO GO BACK IN APRIL AND DONT FANCY GOING THROUGH IT ALL AGAIN. HAS ANYBODY HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS OR ANY SOLUTIONS.

SHELDON

It's so fuuny. As I searched the new postings, I knew exactly what you were going to saw when I saw the tile - Abbey National.

I have been embarassed so many times in malls also. I can have my card denied in one store then go next door and buy the exact same item with no problems.

I find that it usually works in PCI ATMs and those with the Plus and Visa signs outside and in stores where they use the Equitable banking network - although you may have to sign rather than use chip and pin. Before you go to the Philippines call the bank and advise them you are going to da phils and how long for.

I had so many problems and called back to speak to the bank many times and they never ever told me they had on a couple of occasions put a stop on my card as they thought it was being used fraudulently.

Pia has a card on my account which she was using when she was in da phils and occasionally I had to call the bank to tell them that it was ok.

Good luck mate!
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Respected Member
    exectly right my friend. my close friend is out there now and swears by his nationwide card never a problem he says. i have a abbey credit card on mastercard but when i went out there last year it was very close to its limit but it worked fine. i am wondering if mastercard works better than abbey visa, or maybe its the debit card that is the problem. my mother told me when i was out there, that there was an item on watchdog that custormers in thailand had major problems getting money from abbey.some people had to come back to uk early cos they couldent get access to there money.

Hi sheldon1, reminds me of the time my mate said just take a debit card there are atm`s out side the West Country UK.... so went to Thailand.. phoned bank up told them when where i was... said ok no prob`s.... NEVER worked.... got out of it by going into bank and asking for cash with passport ...BUT CHANGED to NATIONWIDE VISA DEBIT card FREE / no CHARGE to take money out any atm in the world but never ever had a problem with n/wide but still a bit iffy cashpoints in general me thinks it will gobble it up and long way from home... irobot..

Got exactly the same problem with Lloyds cards when I visited Manila recently. Able to pay in malls and hotel with my debit VISA but unable to get a cash from ATM. When i used my credit MasterC i didn't experienced any problems at all, except i've beeen unable to pay over the internet with it...

Thread Information