Thread: Posting from the UK to Manila

Question Posting from the UK to Manila

Hi all,
    I live in the UK, and will most likely need to post some updated bank statements and other information; my wife will need to support her visa application.

She is temporarily living in an apartment building in Manila while working there, I did post two letters to her at her temporary address around a month ago but they have not as yet arrived.
    Is it possible to post to a C/O address at the Post Office, so that my wife could then pick them up when they arrive?
    Thanks for any thoughts,
    Mick.

Respected Member
    You might be better to use DHL or FEDEX, it costs more, but it will be quicker and more likely to actually arrive.

Thanks Darren-b do you mean to her temporary address? I thought sending to a post office might be more realible, her landlady said post goes missing!

I will look at DHL and FEDEX.
    Thanks,
    Mick.

a courier will deliver to the door shes living at and only give it to her!

sending by the post office can take weeks or go missing?

its your choice.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Thanks Darren-b do you mean to her temporary address? I thought sending to a post office might be more realible, her landlady said post goes missing!

I will look at DHL and FEDEX.
    Thanks,
    Mick.
    My thoughts would be to her temporary address, but for DHL/FEDEX to require a signature (with ID) from her and if she is not there she would have to pick it up from them. But I admit I've never actually done it myself.

Hi all,
    I live in the UK, and will most likely need to post some updated bank statements and other information; my wife will need to support her visa application.

She is temporarily living in an apartment building in Manila while working there, I did post two letters to her at her temporary address around a month ago but they have not as yet arrived.
    Is it possible to post to a C/O address at the Post Office, so that my wife could then pick them up when they arrive?
    Thanks for any thoughts,
    Mick.
    I would definately send them by courier. It's the only way to ensure they arrive safely, as anything that goes through the Philippines postal system which appears to have come from the UK has a chance of being tampered with in the hope that there may be money or something else of value within.

May I recommend Interparcel http://www.interparcel.com . You can book collection online and you will find that it is actually collected by DHL, but at about half the price that DHL would have charged you. You can then track the progress and delivery of your package on the DHL website. Your package will also arrive in roughly 48 hours, compared to 2 to 4 weeks, or maybe never with the postal system.

Iain.

Hi Iain,
    Thank you for that, have bookmared the site and will try them when the time comes.
    Mick.

hi mick,

we recently sent the supporting documents to my family through Royal Mail - International Data Post, it weighs nearly 2 kgs. and cost us nearly 70 pounds, they received the documents after a week, they supposed to received the docs. between 3-4 working days, but i guess due to the snow storm, it caused some delays. you can also track the status of the delivery online.

:-)
    "Chains do not hold a marriage together.It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.That is what makes a marriage last - more than passion or even sex..."

I know how you feel with the phils postal system takes ages, but if your sending bank statements and you have internet banking, I downloaded my statements in .rtf (word) format then I emailed my wife and she printed it off in the computer shop in manila. I emailed 6 months of current account as well as other financial statements. The British Embassy where fine about it no questions what so ever.

I'm always worried when I send things like bank statements so when I downloaded my statements I hashed out half of my account number with * cause you never know who might see your bank statements.

Banned
    we used the same thing what Iain said about interparcel and they never put us on hang,its very good

when Jay sent his bank statements and other pertinent documents, he used ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL AIR MAIL SMALL PACKET, SIGNED FOR... i got them safely...

last Month we have sent lots of gadgets (used phones, cams et al) via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR... my family got them safely... (3 packages, 2kg max, declared them as £150 each package) insurance was only £5.70 on top of the postage costs... they arrived in 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    when Jay sent his bank statements and other pertinent documents, he used ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL AIR MAIL SMALL PACKET, SIGNED FOR... i got them safely...

last Month we have sent lots of gadgets (used phones, cams et al) via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR... my family got them safely... (3 packages, 2kg max, declared them as £150 each package) insurance was only £5.70 on top of the postage costs... they arrived in 2 weeks
    I sent my old phone (Samsung D900) and a new digital camera (kodak) using royal mail I just declared it £60 altogether with insurance cost me altogether almost £15 and arrives safely in 8 days

although in reality the total cost is more. I bought the camera new £80 and im not sure with the old phone. The thing is the post office normally don't ask what's on the package they just weigh it and etc just fill the custom declaration what's on it and how much the value and as long it is signed for probably its safe....IMHO

Banned
    i just emailed as an attachment my fiancee just prinred off

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by trader dave View Post
    i just emailed as an attachment my fiancee just prinred off
    Thanks, did they accept it ok?
    Only it says for my bank statments they require originals and a set of copies?
    I would rather send for her to print, but will most likly send by DHL.
    As that is what she wants me to do, but I am waiting for my state pension forcast to arrive before I send it all off.
    Thanks, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    arrives safely in 8 days
    ....[/B][/COLOR]IMHO
    wow that was quick! where did you send it? is it in Manila still?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    just fill the custom declaration what's on it and how much the value and as long it is signed for probably its safe....IMHO
    i sent one package without insurance and not signed for..just an ordinary mail: i wrote the contents in the declaration note: (Candies, and Children's Bible Story Book) DECLARED IT AS £10.00 ONLY OR pHp650.00

THEY STOLE IT!

The moral of the story is... always use International Signed For and add Insurance...

Thumbs up Sending a parcet from the UK to Manila, Philippines

Hi all,

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Mick.
    Thanks for all the advice and thoughts, I ended up sending the parcel by DHL, and it arrived there today, Tuesday morning 5 days after sending it which I am very relived about becouse it had original documents in required for my wifes visa applacation, I did put a small box of chocklates in and some perfume, which she was pleased about.
    Thanks, Mick Cant.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I would definately send them by courier. It's the only way to ensure they arrive safely, as anything that goes through the Philippines postal system which appears to have come from the UK has a chance of being tampered with in the hope that there may be money or something else of value within.

May I recommend Interparcel http://www.interparcel.com . You can book collection online and you will find that it is actually collected by DHL, but at about half the price that DHL would have charged you. You can then track the progress and delivery of your package on the DHL website. Your package will also arrive in roughly 48 hours, compared to 2 to 4 weeks, or maybe never with the postal system.

Iain.
    Thanks for recommendation Ian, just been checking their service, seems to be very good. I suppose that you have good personal experience with them? I need to send just documentation over to Makati (preparation for finacee visa) and they offer service that just suits me very well - DHL Document Express Cheers...

Thread Information