Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Value Broadband Provider

Best Value Broadband Provider

I would appreciate some recommendations from those that live around Birmingham area for the best value broadband provider preferably a double bundle i.e. TV and Broadband.

So far I've inquired at Virgin and Sky Broadband. Any one who can give feedbacks on these two providers?

Thank You.

Sky gives more than cable overall.
    Keith - Administrator

Not well up on packages. We use Bt broadband which has done me and the Wife ok.

But we live in London, otherwise I would lend you a ethernet cable and you could share ours

Que rush by Joe bloggs to find couple of hundred miles of cable and repeaters

It is worth checking with people locally if they use adsl what the connection is like. As it varies as you most likely know area by area.

Also do be careful if you actually have cable has sometimes a street is not always fully linked up but on the website they will say it is.

So be careful getting locked into any long term deals and think if you really need the free laptop or even router equipment. Can you get a better deal where you have to supply the adsl router?

Do you want broadband via a cable or wirless to your pc? The choice of router is important although im sure most are both ethernet and wlan. Be wary if it was just a usb connecter all the ones i have seen over the years seem to give the user far more problems than the other types.

Also worth checking the filter you get and BT will depending on the phone socket you have sometimes provide (again not sure if they still do this) a special adaption which helps in many cases increase the connection speed.

Not sure if they still do it but Bt offered a service where if you allowed people to share your wirless connection you got free access to everyone else doing the same.

Some people found this quite handy if they lived in a out of the way place.
    Others in bulit up areas did not think the same.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post

But we live in London, otherwise I would lend you a ethernet cable and you could share ours
    Shame then...that's a very good offer

Thank you for the advice. Will take it into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Sky gives more than cable overall.
    Thank You Keith.

The best one i have used so far is def SKY!

Lightbulb Broadband research

Depends what you want. TV, telephone and broadband all in one? Or just broadband and phone. Or just broadband.
    I am going through the transition phase of changing my provider ORANGE. So I have been doing lots of digging.

There are 2 technology you should be aware of ADSL2+ Twice as fast as normal. Doubles the capacity.The other one FIBRE broadband which says it will give 100MB in future. This is provided by Virgin at the moment.
    I have found Orange to be slow and disconnect too much. It is alright for a beginner I guess.

There are many things to take into account like distance from exchange, length of cables, wireless security, router firmware.

It is not what I require since I have Xbox360, I require fast connection for the games.

I hope this website helps http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/b...-providers.php

Good hunting. Let me know how you pick. I am thinking on SKY.

Hi Emy, We have the virgin media and sky.

Our Homeline and internet connection is virgin media. Lately we took advantage of the promo for tv, it's free. They have a lot of movies, channels.

We have the sky cable as well. There are movies on sky you can record. You can record 2 movies at the same time on sky while watching another movie or watch a movie on virgin. It has fast connection on games. Sometimes I use the tv at the lounge by sending a message on chikka to the Phils with the wii RC or attach a keyboard (whatever is your choice)and got replies fast and I never encounter disconnection while husband using the tv upstairs and computer is on as well.

Happy searching for whatever suits your taste.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by gary2jessica View Post

Good hunting. Let me know how you pick. I am thinking on SKY.
    Thank You for the advice gary2jessica. I want Sky too I just don't like that we need to apply for a BT landline first to be able to get Sky Broadband.

The bundle we want is TV/Broadband. We don't really want a land line with it because we wouldn't be using it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    Hi Emy, We have the virgin media and sky.

Happy searching for whatever suits your taste.
    Thank you for the advice Iye.

All the advices are very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mavid View Post
    Thank You for the advice gary2jessica. I want Sky too I just don't like that we need to apply for a BT landline first to be able to get Sky Broadband.

The bundle we want is TV/Broadband. We don't really want a land line with it because we wouldn't be using it anyway.
    Thank you for the advice Iye.

All the advices are very much appreciated.
    Bit of a pain having a landline but they do have a use.

First you can put the bill in your name, handy for proof of address and of course ILR

Also a way of buliding a credit history, having a phone line used to be part of the credit score not so sure if its as importnat now. But cant see it harming anything.

We rarely use our landline but handy to have.

For job applications looks better for some reason if you have landline on CV or application. I speak from both the Hiring and applying side of things.

Still thought by many in the UK strange not to have a landline.

Certainly worth googling around I know some sites which had adsl speed tests used to have a survey of which you could see the results where you could see how good the service appears to users and the speeds they get in various areas with diffeent providers.

First you can put the bill in your name, handy for proof of address and of course ILR

Also a way of buliding a credit history, having a phone line used to be part of the credit score not so sure if its as importnat now. But cant see it harming anything.

We rarely use our landline but handy to have.

For job applications looks better for some reason if you have landline on CV or application. I speak from both the Hiring and applying side of things.

Still thought by many in the UK strange not to have a landline.

Certainly worth googling around I know some sites which had adsl speed tests used to have a survey of which you could see the results where you could see how good the service appears to users and the speeds they get in various areas with diffeent providers.

Nice input andypaul

To mavid: we are using sky and bt right now Keep searching and goodluck
    LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

Hi Emy, same with me i don't need a landline. We're not using it often but we're already used to having it even in the Phils. Now that we have the special feature of blocking the withheld calls, such calls are minimised from then on. I guess here in the UK if we don't have it, it doesn't matter esp if almost everyone uses the mobile phone in calling unlike in the Phils having a landline is really a must for every family bec calling by mobile is expensive.

The sky HD is better. We just convert it lately.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

99% of Broadband problems are with the muppets who use it, not the broadband itself, yet many negative reviews will blame the company, rather than the individual admitting they are stupid.
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mavid View Post
    I would appreciate some recommendations from those that live around Birmingham area for the best value broadband provider preferably a double bundle i.e. TV and Broadband.

So far I've inquired at Virgin and Sky Broadband. Any one who can give feedbacks on these two providers?

Thank You.
    i have virgin broadband and landline for £15.50 per month which is good in service
    all things are possible!

hmm,I regret moving from zen internet,I have had problems with the two current providers I use,waisting many hours at my expense trying to resolve problems,a bit more costly but good customer service and had good connection

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT View Post
    hmm,I regret moving from zen internet,I have had problems with the two current providers I use,waisting many hours at my expense trying to resolve problems,a bit more costly but good customer service and had good connection
    Who are the two current providers, Pat?

Post your problems on here, they'll get sorted quicker

As I said earlier, the vast majority of problems are with the persons PC, and it is not the suppliers job to fix that as the problem is not under their control, the customer service is only to help with none connection problems due to the exchange/modem.
    Keith - Administrator

One small thing they never tell you when you join up, what is the make of the router? I am curious. Who makes the SKY broadband routers?

See what I mean. Cos I will looking up this great little website about portforwarding
    http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm

Always best tobuy your own router in most cases. 4 Port wireless if you have more than one computer.

Use CAT cables, not wireless/USB whenever possible, it's faster.
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by gary2jessica View Post
    One small thing they never tell you when you join up, what is the make of the router? I am curious. Who makes the SKY broadband routers?

See what I mean. Cos I will looking up this great little website about portforwarding
    http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm
    Blimey they trying to sell you a program to port forward

They may know on here Gary I dont have a scooby as dont use Sky
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum

Be careful with Port forwarding can have its minuses as well as pluses security and what not. But im sure your reading up on the subject so will be fine

Always best tobuy your own router in most cases. 4 Port wireless if you have more than one computer.

Use CAT cables, not wireless/USB whenever possible, it's faster.
    Very true read reports on the exact model you intend to buy if you just dont get tech things (and have a life) ask on here. Security, performance,ease of use and realabilty as well as cost all important factors to bear in mind.

A router is like the doors and windows on your house something you dont take much notice of but need to keep you safe and protected.

We use Wirless in our house and cable, the Wirless is left on only when needed and on the lowest power. 1 for security ie it radiates the least distance outrside our home 2 for health reasons as no proper long term reports have been done on how WIFI signals affect Humans as they simply haven't been around long enough.

If you do use wireless think about security and bear in mind hiding your ssid and even locking down to a mac address are not hundred percent safe.
    Easy to find a router with out a ssid and not that hard to mimc a different mac address. You would have to be unlucky to have a techy person determined enough to do it, but i would say its not worth the risk if you bank/email on your network and keep any form of personal data on your pc.

If you live close to me you can get a wireless connection for free! I haven't figured out how to put a password on it yet!

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    If you live close to me you can get a wireless connection for free! I haven't figured out how to put a password on it yet!
    Switch the WEP on, 64-BIT
    Keith - Administrator

Switch the WEP on, 64-BIT
    But what is WEP?

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

But what is WEP?
    You'll find it in your router settings......the one you never read the instructions on, and have now lost
    Keith - Administrator

You'll find it in your router settings......the one you never read the instructions on, and have now lost
    Ah, that's the problem...my routers instructions came on a CDRom....which wont play!

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

Thank you Somebody for that great thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann07 View Post
    To mavid: we are using sky and bt right now Keep searching and goodluck
    Thank you Ann07.

Quote Originally Posted by vbkelly View Post
    i have virgin broadband and landline for £15.50 per month which is good in service
    Thank you vbkelly.

I am torn between the two lol But Virgin is slowly taking the lead lol

My issue with SKY is we have to apply for a BT land line first separately before we can avail their Broadband wherein Virgin you don't have to apply to a different company anymore.

We appreciate all the replies,inputs & advices... we are still searching.

Thanks everyone.

hehehe too many free offers shame you're all too far away Thanks tho

Ah, that's the problem...my routers instructions came on a CDRom....which wont play!
    Have you tried something a simple as searching for the support page for the make/model?
    Keith - Administrator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information