Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: He Is Dead

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Don't worry Ate.

People have different opinions about all sorts of different things, and faith or religion is the one that divide them the most.
    I don't see anything wrong in posting what you believe in, lots of other forumers share your beliefs, me too, to a certain extent.

The title, tho, I reckon was ill chosen, especially after your original postings, as Toks mentioned.
    In this I agree with him.
    If you pm me, with an alternative heading, I will try to edit the title for you.
    The site is great, and although we have non-catholics on board, we are all christians of some description or the other.
    An Italian renaissance artist once said that "religion is like pasta, you have so many different sauces to go with it".....
    So cheer up, and keep posting.

Are you sure all are Some kind of christian on here?

Not really a big issue to me but I know of people in Brit Phil relationships who are not Christians.

But I understand your sentiment Sir that at the end of the day we are all (hopefully) people who wish to respect the rights of others to belive what they like as long as it harms no one or they force it on to others

So peace Love and Fairycakes for all
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    and Fairycakes for all
    is that what you've been doing for the last few weeks Andy ?

hmm got any veggy ones

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    is that what you've been doing for the last few weeks Andy ?

hmm got any veggy ones
    Can you get non Veg Fairy cakes
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post
    I can live with that. Ah, but then since you are, by your own admission, either a nutter or crazy, perhaps we should disregard what you just said.
    Who Me?
    Keith - Administrator

Although I can see how you have formed your opinion on some things, you appear to contradict yourself from the get go.

You say that you are "not arrogant enough to believe in absolutes" and "talk in certainties". Yet you said the following, "Christian or any other faith is not based upon evidence." Dawkins even conceded that Jesus probably did exist.
    Sorry, but there is no contradiction between acknowledging that you don’t know everything, and stating that by it's definition faith cannot be based on evidence or it wouldn't be faith. They are disparate points. Besides, you later state yourself that faith does not require proof, so not sure why you previously talked of evidence supporting faith - your words not mine.

I note also the contrast between my acceptance of the possibility of doubt and your unfounded certainty ‘Some of us already knew that, yes, largely by faith.’ To know anything by faith is a contradiction in my book. And the Bible is one big contradiction. This is the grating unsubstantiated certainty I spoke of.

Whether or not there was a conjuror or prophet called Jesus in some Roman Empire backwater who duped the locals has about as much to do with the price of fish as the existence of a supreme being.

Just because a human given divine powers would make a mess of things is also an irrelevance, and a lack of actual chaos does not indicate a ‘greater hand at play’. Such a conclusion does not follow at all, and seems like a leap of faith to me. That figures. It is again the flawed thinking that there must be some greater meaning where there is none. A ‘God of the Gaps’ which is diminished progressively as science advances.

I fail to see how scientific evidence led anyone to conclude a ‘governing intelligence’. Creationists spend their time hunting for evidence of a designer when biological evidence points the other way. From vestigial limbs to extreme flatulence points towards the unintelligence of design in my opinion.

I fail to see the relevance of Einstein either – as I recall he made it quite clear he was not a believer after many religious folk tried to infer that he was.

Enjoy
    S J

Hi JudyHon. A fascinating perspective - if a little one sided. I agree with a lot of what you say but on the subject of Einstein he actually did acknowledge the existence of God on several occasions. For example he said: "God is subtle but he is not malicious" and "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind". He also said towards the end of his life that the only logical conclusion for all his theories (in particular general relativity) was that there is a God.

See: Oxford dictionary of quotations, Einsteins Universe and The Iron Sun..
    Please check the facts. :-)

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Blimey its on its 7th page now
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

What has Einstein got to do with anything? He was just a scientist/mathematician, and one that most of his theories were either dumped by him, or have since been proven wrong, with the few that are left now under assault as we discover more.
    Keith - Administrator

I see that you are not a fan of Einstein Boss Keith. But in his defence he was more than just a scientist - and without him our sat navs would not work. Just because we have learned more does not diminish his work. That's a bit like villifying Charles Babbage (the forefather of computing) because he did not discover microprocessors. :-)

Sorry out of topic here.
    Just quoted JudyHon's last sentence, "Einstein made it clear he was not a believer after many religious folks tried to infer that he was".... not quoting on Einstein's works..

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by JudyHon View Post
    Sorry, but there is no contradiction between acknowledging that you don’t know everything, and stating that by it's definition faith cannot be based on evidence or it wouldn't be faith. They are disparate points. Besides, you later state yourself that faith does not require proof, so not sure why you previously talked of evidence supporting faith - your words not mine.

I note also the contrast between my acceptance of the possibility of doubt and your unfounded certainty ‘Some of us already knew that, yes, largely by faith.’ To know anything by faith is a contradiction in my book. And the Bible is one big contradiction. This is the grating unsubstantiated certainty I spoke of.

Whether or not there was a conjuror or prophet called Jesus in some Roman Empire backwater who duped the locals has about as much to do with the price of fish as the existence of a supreme being.

Just because a human given divine powers would make a mess of things is also an irrelevance, and a lack of actual chaos does not indicate a ‘greater hand at play’. Such a conclusion does not follow at all, and seems like a leap of faith to me. That figures. It is again the flawed thinking that there must be some greater meaning where there is none. A ‘God of the Gaps’ which is diminished progressively as science advances.

I fail to see how scientific evidence led anyone to conclude a ‘governing intelligence’. Creationists spend their time hunting for evidence of a designer when biological evidence points the other way. From vestigial limbs to extreme flatulence points towards the unintelligence of design in my opinion.

I fail to see the relevance of Einstein either – as I recall he made it quite clear he was not a believer after many religious folk tried to infer that he was.

Enjoy
    Unfortunately, I have no idea what your first sentence means but you stating definitively that "Christian or any other faith is not based upon evidence" is an attempt at achieving an absolute and certain statement.

You are correct, I absolutely stated that faith does not require proof; notwithstanding that, many believers are certain that their is proof running alongside their faith. One of the challenges is that many athiests believe that only empirical data consititutes proof. I previously drew your attention to that and used your own cited observer, Dawkins, to illustrate that many highly cephalised individuals disagree with your assertion.

Please highlight where you illustrated possibility of doubt versus certainty and absolutes. Yes, I did say that many of us knew by faith that God exists. You said that to know by faith is a contradiction. To what. Are you suggestion that include faith and knowing in a single sentence is oxmoronic? If so how so?

The analogy of Bruce Almighty was just that and was not meant to be taken literally. I stated that it was a lighter touch.

The God of Gaps theology is something I do not subscribe to. I Understand why you brought it up but is fundamentally flawed as far as I am concerned for some very obvious reasons. God does not disappear from view when previously unexplained phenomena are given natural explanations.

I understand that you fail to see certain things, this brings you into conflict with some of Dawkins recent sayings and those of Frew et al.

You fail to see the relevance of Einstein? Perhaps you are unaware of much of what Einstein said about God. To be honest so am I but I found some snippets. For example: Einstein, famously, said that "God does NOT play dice". On the face of it Einstein believed in God.

Whether he did or not means nothing to me as I have my faith; I bring him up to discuss with you. The key things uncertain about Einstein are related to which god was he talking about? Clearly, Einstein wasn't a polytheist, since he used the singular term "God", rather than the plural "gods". It is not unreasonable to deduce therefore, that he was a montheist. He also stated explicitly that he believed in God.

Regarding my last post, I note with interest that you rather conveniently ignored my questions and comments pertaining to Dawkins' change of heart and most particularly shied away from attempting to produce empirical evidence that God does not exist. Surely you have this. Of course I know you don't. I'm speak rhetorically. So, if not, given that you do not talk in absolutes or certainties, particularly of the unfounded variety, you must be open to the possibility that God exists. Di ba?
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    .... and without him our sat navs would not work......
    So he's the one we blame when directed down a one-way street then?

I'm a fan of Einstein, just that he has been overrated. Hitler done more for the progression of science
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    :
    Now take a happy pill, and say a prayer that the good Lord helps Liverpool put 4 past Chelsea
    My husband says here that the lord listened to your prayer and liverpool scored 4 goals but too bad chelsea scored more

Respected Member
    Just because Einstein said there is a god, doesn't mean that there is one.

Voltaire once said "if there was no god it would be necessary to create him"

In other words some people need something to explain why we are here/what life is for.

Mikhila Bakunin wrote "if there was a god it would be necessary to abolish him"

He also wrote "People go to church for the same reasons they go to a tavern: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy."

Try reading "God and the state" by Bakunin or "Twelve Proofs of the Non-existence of God" by Sebastien Faure for a reasoned debate on the whole subject (and a bit more).

For me, religion is a form of oppression, to keep the poor in line and teach them not to question the establishment by promising a reward after death which is something they can not promise.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what your first sentence means but you stating definitively that "Christian or any other faith is not based upon evidence" is an attempt at achieving an absolute and certain statement.

You are correct,
    Sorry but we are going round in circles here. I stand by my initial statements and don't think any of your criticisms diminish them.

I still think the possibility of a Christian God is so incredibly remote and the possibility that no such entity exists is almost certain - a ancient irrelevant fairy tale no more relevant than the Lock Ness Monster or Astrology. A useful mechanism for mass brain-washing that has perpetuated itself until recent enlightenment. I know what odds to bet on and I will stick with those, thanks.

I didn't bring up Dawkins as a champion, someone else did. I just pointed out one thing he said that I agreed with. That is why I didn't comment on other things he said. I note many of my comments were 'conveniently ignored' also.

I would love to navel gaze on this some more. But I am convinced I am right and you are wrong and that you are kidding yourself and clutching at straws - but that's your choice, so what's the point? I have a full time job, deadlines and an FLR application to get in asap, so those all take priority.

Feel free to continue trying to convert others to this outdated cause. Might want to work on the patronising tone though. I look forward to the day when religion is consigned to the scrapheap where it belongs and people don't need it as an emotional crutch.

PS I have seen the above quote from a couple of different sources:

Einstein himself stated quite clearly that he did not believe in a personal God:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."
    S J

So he's the one we blame when directed down a one-way street then?

I'm a fan of Einstein, just that he has been overrated. Hitler done more for the progression of science
    I agree Boss Keith!...
    All of the great scientific developments are the result of .....
    Wars..

Sorry out of topic again....

I love this thread it started on greetings to everyone by Happy_now on Easter Sunday, then religion, if there is a God or not in existence,.. then Einstein/science..... now... wars..No i won't start that thread...sorry...

Cheers!....

Thank God I'm a retard
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    This great !!
    Kepp it going ladies and gents

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    This great !!
    Kepp it going ladies and gents
    Wait for Aposhark ,he is just busy ....... it will beat the Ł to Peso thread

What sort of Soap do you all use I like coal tar myself
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Banned
    The soap just produce by APPRENTICE, (BBC ONE)

Keith why on the smilies there is no batting eyelashes

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    What sort of Soap do you all use I like coal tar myself
    that stuff stinks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    For the benefit of the other members and the Forum in general I would respectfully ask you to fight those terrible hordes some other time, some other place.

By now your dislike or hate for everything resembling some kind of faith, is well known to us all, and it would be really appreciated if you don't jump at people's throath again.
    You do not have to participate in religion based threads

This thread started innocently by someone celebrating Easter in her own way, and escalated, near enough, into a full scale slanging match.

No member is bigger than the forum.

Unless is Keith...................

I totally agree!!! One Love everyone... ONE LOVE... we are all sharing the same world (and forum).

yes you have to be quick or

trouble is with little joe, he's not so little, thou 2 1/2, hes the height of a 4yr old , now he can open the fridge door, reach most things out of the cupboards, turn everything on and off, and if he can't reach something he will carry or drag a chair, so he can
    LOL i know that feeling and Raffy is only 18 months

As for the religious debate it has been fun to read, I'm a Budhist and as such respect everyones views, oppinions and life styles as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

Love for one and all, smile and be happy

mrjarv
    Mark, Cristina & Raffy

Quote Originally Posted by thejarvs View Post
    I'm a Budhist and as such respect everyones views, oppinions and life styles as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

what religion should be about peace as with the Hare Krishna's

Religion is a means to power and money, and has been used for 1000's of years to control people via lack of knowledge and understanding. Belief does not need to be controlled by a religion.
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JudyHon View Post
    Sorry but we are going round in circles here. I stand by my initial statements and don't think any of your criticisms diminish them.

I still think the possibility of a Christian God is so incredibly remote and the possibility that no such entity exists is almost certain - a ancient irrelevant fairy tale no more relevant than the Lock Ness Monster or Astrology. A useful mechanism for mass brain-washing that has perpetuated itself until recent enlightenment. I know what odds to bet on and I will stick with those, thanks.

I didn't bring up Dawkins as a champion, someone else did. I just pointed out one thing he said that I agreed with. That is why I didn't comment on other things he said. I note many of my comments were 'conveniently ignored' also.

I would love to navel gaze on this some more. But I am convinced I am right and you are wrong and that you are kidding yourself and clutching at straws - but that's your choice, so what's the point? I have a full time job, deadlines and an FLR application to get in asap, so those all take priority.

Feel free to continue trying to convert others to this outdated cause. Might want to work on the patronising tone though. I look forward to the day when religion is consigned to the scrapheap where it belongs and people don't need it as an emotional crutch.

PS I have seen the above quote from a couple of different sources:

Einstein himself stated quite clearly that he did not believe in a personal God:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."
    It is rather unfortunate that you repeat your same misguided assumption that I want to convert someone. I have explicitly said otherwise several times. I drew attention to what I believe are profound inconsistencies in some, albeit not all, of your statements, assertions and citations. You have responded to some of my challenges and shied away from others. You suggest I have avoided some of yor questions. I can't see that having reviewed your posts but that is ok.

Anyway, although you have conceded that God might exist, irrespective of your perception of the odds, I reiterate that I do not and would not attempt to tell someone that their approach to religion is wrong. This all started as I felt that someone initially expressed his views in a potentially insulting way to what I and some others believe in and strive to life by daily. You do not see a believer of any demonination suddenly hijack a thread and dismiss all athiests and non-believers as brainwashed, followers of myths, fairy-tales, nonsense, etc. I think those that do believe expect a similar courtesy. Challenge and discuss by all means but ridicule and assign all of the world's troubles to believers

Anyway, subsequent to the intial attack, I drew a certain forumer's attention and yours to what I have already described above. I used the terms falwed, inconsistent, etc. You emulated their use and that is fine as they are critiques not insults. I hope you appreciate where I'm coming from. Any topic can be discussed by opposing parties so long as respect is shown. When we use terms like irrelevant, nonsense and fairy-tales, it is insulting and again, is inconsistent with your assertion that you do not speak in absolutes and certainties. I accept that you do not think so at all. fair enough.

If you have read some of my posts you will be clearly aware that most of my closest friends are of alternative religions and philosophical perspectives. When we discuss we stay on point and try to focus on only referring to what we can back up academically, that means qualitatively as well as quantitatively. We always find that irrespective of where our point of departure is, we have so much more in common that not. I learn from everyone I interact with and I thank you for what I have learned from you.

I do not know any set of moral codes that encourage people to be bad to each other whether religious or otherwise. So, in theory if individuals are following them as best they can it's obvious that we will find out we so much in common. One of the problems as i see it, is that so many, not all, unbelievers think that religion per se is bad and thus put up obstacles to alignment of our mutually good values, whereas you will see those with any type of faith saying that there is good in all of us irrespective.

I will say again, lest anyone fails to see it, what a proper practice of a faith does is bring like minded people together to encourage them in the development and practice of that faith. The church when used as I believe it is meant to be used, is simply a body of people following, as best they can, the same principles as God. It does not necessarily make them better than anyone else following alternative patterns.

Tolerance and understanding as always key. When I get the chance I read Islamic text, Buddhist, Jewish as well as some of the works of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, etc. I do not focus on some of the contemporary and would'be philosophers such as Einstein and Dawkins as I find them often a little less humble about their failings than the pre-renaissance ones. Rudeness and intolerance aside, everyone has something to contribute, in my opinion, to the understanding of our world and our place within it.

Peace and good luck with your deadlines and FLR application.

Cordially!

Religion is a means to power and money....
    Has not worked for me so far!!!!

Has not worked for me so far!!!!
    your doing alright toks

but thats thru studying and hard work , while most other people are sat on their watching tv and moaning about things, like having no money

god or no god. god only knows

Look can we get back on topic please Soap
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

your doing alright toks

but thats thru studying and hard work , while most other people are sat on their watching tv and moaning about things, like having no money

god or no god. god only knows
    Haha!! Got Marikit here by my side watching me type with one finger. I thought being able to say, "look at me I can type with one finger was impressive". She does not look impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Look can we get back on topic please Soap

Thread Information