Thread: Caregiver, live in, what are average wages

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006

Caregiver, live in, what are average wages

I have a friend who is looking for a live-in caregiver here in Spain. I have a Filipina friend who is interested. Can anyone tell us the approx. wage such a person could expect, in Spain or in UK?

Thanks

Respected Member
    I hope some one can help please

doesnt it depend on what is required to do?

you could pay whatever you wanted too,if you want a guide to go by then you need the wage for spain dont you?

arent most payed the min wage here?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    doesnt it depend on what is required to do?

you could pay whatever you wanted too,if you want a guide to go by then you need the wage for spain dont you?

arent most payed the min wage here?
    Thanks Bornabirth. The problem is that our Filipino friend is asking for 1,300 euros month ( about £300 p.w.) with live in and food provided. So that's money in her hand.

On a website it showed in UK £110 a week. So we wanted another idea.

Thanks for any advice

then shes looking at £1200 a month?

seems alot to me but is there much difference doing the job in spain than the uk?

with no living costs and bills it seems alittle high to me but its upto whoever paying them?

btw i thought 2000 pesos was the going rate back in the phils,they put there rates up in spain?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    then shes looking at £1200 a month?

seems alot to me but is there much difference doing the job in spain than the uk?

with no living costs and bills it seems alittle high to me but its upto whoever paying them?

btw i thought 2000 pesos was the going rate back in the phils,they put there rates up in spain?
    I have no idea about what would be reasonable. That is why I would like someone who maybe is working as a caregiver, in UK or Europe, to tell me what they think

Respected Member
    if you work in a care home in the uk you won't get much more than minimum wage. So i wouldn't expect a live in caregiver so be paid much more than minimum wage for each hour worked but then to be deducted a reasonable amount to cover food and accommodation. £110 seems a bit on the low side, but i guess it depends on the amount of hours actually worked.

The problem with live in jobs is it can turn into a 16 hour day 7 days a week I think you should get your friend to write a job description with a schedule it would be easier to coment then John
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    The problem with live in jobs is it can turn into a 16 hour day 7 days a week I think you should get your friend to write a job description with a schedule it would be easier to coment then John
    This was the general outline she was given:- 'The lady would want you to cook her meals just a simple breakfast, a sandwich lunchtime and a meal in the evening, help her shower in the morning, clean her apartment once a week and take her out in her pushchair a few times a week in the morning along the Paseo (promenade) and stop for a coffee.she will pay for your food'

I agree with such a job becoming 24/7, a written job description would be wise.

I think the problem here maybe that the person can afford to go into a residential home, maybe 800 euros a week, but does not want to pay, even a lot less, to get a much better life style, being cared for in her own surroundings by a 'surrogate daughter.'

Having encouraged my mother, in UK, to go into care at the age of 92, from being able to look after herself, shop, clean house, cook, walk 1.5 miles to church EVERY day, within three months she was in a practically vegetative state from being encouraged to spend all day in front of the TV for fear if she walked around she might fall and sue the home!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Having encouraged my mother, in UK, to go into care at the age of 92, from being able to look after herself, shop, clean house, cook, walk 1.5 miles to church EVERY day, within three months she was in a practically vegetative state from being encouraged to spend all day in front of the TV for fear if she walked around she might fall and sue the home!!!!!
    I know what you imply.

The same was happening to an elderly couple, good friends of mine.
    Due to both falling over and being taken to hospital, they were subsequently released, after 2 weeks, into a care home.
    They hated every minute of it, stuck in the same rooms, more or less 24/7. Watching TV programs which they considered rubbish and prevented from going walking in the gardens of the home and arrogantly treated like infants.
    After a bit of a spat with the local Authority they managed to secure the visit of a home carer 2/3 times a day.
    They are very indipendent and proud and somehow they resent the carer's home visits, but it was the condition for letting them stay in their own place....

Thread Information