Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advise needed re banks

Last year we put some cash in a bond acc at Barclays via online banking..Now that it has matured we want to move it as the interest rate is rubbish..Mrs phoned them to give instructions but they wont entertain her as they say she doesnt know her mothers maiden name! We just got a letter saying that if we do not instruct them within another 7 days they will stick it back in to the same bond acc for 12 months..
    Knumb skulls.
    I might be getting on a bit but at least I can remember when I could speak directly to my bank manager..These days they throw us on the mercy of robotic call center operatives..Grrrrrrrrrr.
    Rant over....For now....

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Last year we put some cash in a bond acc at Barclays via online banking.
    you have to go thru their Indian call centres to speak to your local branch as they don't publish their telephone number, unlike many other banks. I don't have a Barclay account, and i never will have after seeing what their customer service is like

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyni View Post
    Hello guys,

I would like to ask where i may be able to open my own bank account here in England. I arrived 3 weeks ago. Me and my hubby went to 2 banks already and they need at least 2 utility bills that reflects my name but of course we dont have that. What I have is my passport/visa. Do you know a bank that will allow me to open my own account with only a passport/visa as my identification? thank you and god bless you all.
    Hi,

You may check HSBC. They have a 'passport account' for those new in the UK or just about to come and live in the UK.

Banned
    Hello guys,

I would like to ask where i may be able to open my own bank account here in England. I arrived 3 weeks ago. Me and my hubby went to 2 banks already and they need at least 2 utility bills that reflects my name but of course we dont have that. What I have is my passport/visa. Do you know a bank that will allow me to open my own account with only a passport/visa as my identification? thank you and god bless you all.
    My first employer sent letter to Bank of Scotland for an opening account. I also opened one in Abbey. Just passport was okey. But I closed my BS and Abbey left and wanting to have one at Barclays.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
    Just to say it will be hard for me to get, phone line, cable/sat tv, etc. when I return to the UK (oh you lucky country). This is because I do not have any utility bills etc from the UK, I do not have a UK address to run a credit check on.

Should I divorce my wife because of this Bornatbirth?

That was my problem when I applied at Barclays. They need any bills but I have nothing. They said even phone contract bills any bills. But really nothing for 3 years. She said you are so lucky!!! Then they asked my Abbey's bank statement and found out the post code was wrong. Problem again. It took 2 weeks to sort it.

I'm happy now I got my Barclays Debit Card

Quote Originally Posted by miss.piggy View Post
    Hi,

You may check HSBC. They have a 'passport account' for those new in the UK or just about to come and live in the UK.
    In that case,I think I`ll give that one a miss. Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    In that case,I think I`ll give that one a miss. Thanks anyway
    Huh? Sorry Fred, but the message is for Pinoyni who just arrived 3 weeks ago so I believe they still qualify for that particular account.

Smile

Hello guys,

I was the one asking for help as to where to open a bank account that will only require a passport. I tried HSBC, Halifax and they require another identification such as utility bills, driver's license (which i dont have) so i guess i have to wait for the utility bill with my name on it.

Thanks everyone and have a nice day.
    hi pinoyni,

got the same situation years ago when i was new here, does your husband got a utility bill w/ his name on it? what we did was my fiance included my name on our water bill so it appeared as my name and his name on it. then we went to hsbc presented my passport and utility bill and they gave me a passport account.

it will take you ages before you could have a utility bill in your name because all of them is doing credit searches and since you are new they will decline you.

good luck.
    "Success is not about how much money you have; it's about the choices you can make in life"

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    My first employer sent letter to Bank of Scotland for an opening account. I also opened one in Abbey. Just passport was okey. But I closed my BS and Abbey left and wanting to have one at Barclays.

That was my problem when I applied at Barclays. They need any bills but I have nothing. They said even phone contract bills any bills. But really nothing for 3 years. She said you are so lucky!!! Then they asked my Abbey's bank statement and found out the post code was wrong. Problem again. It took 2 weeks to sort it.

I'm happy now I got my Barclays Debit Card
    'good to hear that penny coz i have barclays debit card alsowe gonna use this one day[when we meet some day]to go shopping

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana_may365 View Post
    'good to hear that penny coz i have barclays debit card alsowe gonna use this one day[when we meet some day]to go shopping

You really love shopping Ana

Seems I cannot escape shopping if I'm with you

OK let's go to Paris, they are number one in fashion

I have friends there who can accommodate us for Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information