Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advise needed re banks

advise needed re banks

Hello guys,

I would like to ask where i may be able to open my own bank account here in England. I arrived 3 weeks ago. Me and my hubby went to 2 banks already and they need at least 2 utility bills that reflects my name but of course we dont have that. What I have is my passport/visa. Do you know a bank that will allow me to open my own account with only a passport/visa as my identification? thank you and god bless you all.

Bank Accounts

... not that easy to open one anymore.
    That's why you should NEVER close one down.... even if you leave just £1
    in the account.

I'd suggest you apply for your National Insurance number .... that will be
    dispatched to your address... and addressed to you.
    That at least proves that the UK Government are aware of you, and accept
    that you are who you say you are.

..... perhaps a letter from the Doctor's surgery where you are registered ?

I'd also suggest you try & produce a statement from your Filipino bank, and
    show them that you a "legitimate" user of the banking system.

.... and finally, could you get your husband to phone the utility companies
    & get your name added to the bill ?... ie Mr & Mrs Smith, 123 High St.
    After you've received the "amended" bills, then he can switch them back.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

hi Pinoyni,

when I arrived here I also encountered that when we tried opening an account for me with HBOS, they asked us utility bills as well but when we go to Lloyds TSB they just asked for my passport and checked my visa, maybe it helps if u try opening where ur hubby's bank is..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    ... not that easy to open one anymore.
    That's why you should NEVER close one down.... even if you leave just £1
    in the account.

I'd suggest you apply for your National Insurance number .... that will be
    dispatched to your address... and addressed to you.
    That at least proves that the UK Government are aware of you, and accept
    that you are who you say you are.

..... perhaps a letter from the Doctor's surgery where you are registered ?

I'd also suggest you try & produce a statement from your Filipino bank, and
    show them that you a "legitimate" user of the banking system.

.... and finally, could you get your husband to phone the utility companies
    & get your name added to the bill ?... ie Mr & Mrs Smith, 123 High St.
    After you've received the "amended" bills, then he can switch them back.
    agree with u Blubirdjones..

Hi Pinoyni,

As soon as i got here i also did the same. I went to several banks to enquire for the requirements needed in opening one.

Natwest bank needs utility bills (as proof of address) with your name on it aside from the passport. They don't accept the notice from doctors. That is only for ages until 18 y.o.and the medical card as well.

I went to HSBC and was told to submit the same. So my husband added my name to the utility bills.

Barclays needs the same requirements and/or a bank statement from your Phil. bank showing an account is properly maintained.

If you don't have utility bills under your name yet but want to have your own account then convert your husband's acct into a joint account first( submit the requirements), then you can have your own personal account as they need the first account to be established first.

To simplify this, you need your name on the utility bills bec that is always one of the requirements.

" The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Respected Member
    my wife applied for and got a provisional uk driving license and used that as proof of address. Barclays were happy with just that and her passport. This was a few years ago so things may have changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    my wife applied for and got a provisional uk driving license and used that as proof of address. Barclays were happy with just that and her passport. This was a few years ago so things may have changed since then.

Yeah i forgot to add the driving license.Should always present 2 valid id's.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Banned
    Through online banking I opened a second account on my name, and when Jet arrived we went personally to the bank and had her added on it, as a joint account holder.

Easy, peasy..........

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Through online banking I opened a second account on my name, and when Jet arrived we went personally to the bank and had her added on it, as a joint account holder.

Easy, peasy..........
    I would sugest that would be the quickest way, Then maybe after a short time you could open an account in your own name

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    I would sugest that would be the quickest way, Then maybe after a short time you could open an account in your own name
    I believe that one of the holders names can be taken out after a while.

Respected Member
    elena opend an account at barclays, and they asked for passport and 1 utility bill with her name on it, i had her put on the council tax bill

Banned
    I go for HSBC ,they only ask my Passport

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyni View Post
    Hello guys,

I would like to ask where i may be able to open my own bank account here in England. I arrived 3 weeks ago. Me and my hubby went to 2 banks already and they need at least 2 utility bills that reflects my name but of course we dont have that. What I have is my passport/visa. Do you know a bank that will allow me to open my own account with only a passport/visa as my identification? thank you and god bless you all.
    best to open in halifax if you are first timer passport/visa is ok for them
    all things are possible!

Thanks

Thank you all for your informative responses. I will certainly take all your suggestions into action. Take care and have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    I go for HSBC ,they only ask my Passport

That means they are inconsistent???
    The banks that i've been to asked for at least 2 id's. Aside from the passport you should present one more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    That means they are inconsistent???
    The banks that i've been to asked for at least 2 id's. Aside from the passport you should present one more.
    I went to Barclay but i got rejected cause they dont accept my ID drivers license (from PI)Actually I am holding it now while replying to you...They call it passport bank account,(HSBC)

Banned
    Just to say it will be hard for me to get, phone line, cable/sat tv, etc. when I return to the UK (oh you lucky country). This is because I do not have any utility bills etc from the UK, I do not have a UK address to run a credit check on.

Should I divorce my wife because of this Bornatbirth?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYou View Post

Should I divorce my wife because of this Bornatbirth?
    Can't see any of his posts on this thread to reply to.....

And none have been deleted....

Can I share whatever you are smoking....?

Sige na.....

Banned
    Hi aro,

No it was in another thread, just trying to elicit a response and get some commonality. Failed.

Don't smoke, well the occaisional shisha with apple flavour tobacco. Tried to get mint flavour but it really takes your breath away.

I went to Barclay but i got rejected cause they dont accept my ID drivers license (from PI)Actually I am holding it now while replying to you...They call it passport bank account,(HSBC)
    What is a passport bank account?
    Every bank i approach gave me a leaflet where all the requirements needed to open an account can be found.
    Thanks Juliet...

When my wife arrived almost 2 months ago, we went straight to the bank to open an account. I'm already with HSBC and we opened a bank account plus joint account, so I still have my own account too.

All I needed was my council tax which was just in my name. And because we're married the manager gave us a manager dicression to open the account, because of my wifes situation having just arrived in the country for a few days.

Maybe its because we where opening a "plus" account. They take you to the front of the que in another part of the building, felt like royalty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    What is a passport bank account?
    Every bank i approach gave me a leaflet where all the requirements needed to open an account can be found.
    Thanks Juliet...
    Here is the # 0800 130 130 and I open at Gorleston branch (Great Yarmouth)and the name who assist us is...Carrie Gibbs here ,I can also give you her email add,so no cost sending her email,and you can ask about this Passport Bank Account

P.S here i found the website for you hsbc.co.uk/passport hope it helps

Banned
    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...port?WT.srch=1 thats it....I search for you Miss iye and you can see there also the small red book,thats what i had all the info

Quote Originally Posted by potpot143 View Post
    HSBC Passport Bank Account is a service designed for anyone moving to the UK or recently settled in the country. HSBC Passport has an initial fixed term of 12 months and is renewable monthly afterwards. HSBC Passport has a £6 per month fee.
    After 12 months you'll have the option to stay with HSBC Passport.
    Well said Potpot143.I am not just agreeable to the £6 per month fee so that sums up to £72/year. How about the interest earned after tax?

Thanks.
    Cheers!

Exclamation

Here is the # 0800 130 130 and I open at Gorleston branch (Great Yarmouth)and the name who assist us is...Carrie Gibbs here ,I can also give you her email add,so no cost sending her email,and you can ask about this Passport Bank Account

P.S here i found the website for you hsbc.co.uk/passport hope it helps
    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...port?WT.srch=1 thats it....I search for you Miss iye and you can see there also the small red book,thats what i had all the info
    Thanks Mrs. Major. No need for the link, the person who have assisted you in the opening of an acct and her email address as well. That is spoon feeding..
    I was just asking what is a passport acct.
    HSBC has branches anywhere.

You have given your account name, type of acct, bank name ang branch???
    Please don't give me your acct number....

Banned
    HSBC Passport Bank Account is a service designed for anyone moving to the UK or recently settled in the country. HSBC Passport has an initial fixed term of 12 months and is renewable monthly afterwards. HSBC Passport has a £6 per month fee.
    After 12 months you'll have the option to stay with HSBC Passport.
    after 12 months they will find you the right account for you,I just put like this...banks required ID's but since we just arrived in the country,we cant show any,and the one we had,isn't acceptable....so I am sure after a year or 12 months,well I had my ID's and everything...that is the time you can choose which bank you like...its just like stepping stone IMO and I just reply on this thread for what I had done in my experience (wink)

after 12 months they will find you the right account for you,I just put like this...banks required ID's but since we just arrived in the country,we cant show any,and the one we had,isn't acceptable....so I am sure after a year or 12 months,well I had my ID's and everything...that is the time you can choose which bank you like...its just like stepping stone IMO and I just reply on this thread for what I had done in my experience (wink)
    I understand what you mean MrsMajor. That's the reason why the existing acct was converted into a joint acct first which i waited for the utility bills to have my name on it or else i will have this kind of account which i don't agree on the terms and conditions. I don't want to pay fees of £72/year.
    So you have to wait for 12 months before you can choose what type of acct you like?! but if u waited for the addition on your name to the bills it won't take you that long. And once a joint acct is establised you can now open your own savings account or whatever type of acct you may wish to.
    Yea it's like a stepping stone.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Plonker View Post
    When my wife arrived almost 2 months ago, we went straight to the bank to open an account. I'm already with HSBC and we opened a bank account plus joint account, so I still have my own account too.

All I needed was my council tax which was just in my name. And because we're married the manager gave us a manager dicression to open the account, because of my wifes situation having just arrived in the country for a few days.

Maybe its because we where opening a "plus" account. They take you to the front of the que in another part of the building, felt like royalty.

Ah a plus account!....you were taken infront of a queue?? . I have never seen that kind of thing. What if you were told to take the place before me? i will feel belittled,!
    I thought people here are very polite.. (pls correct me if i'm wrong).
    What i notice is they have a separate lane to service premiere acct holders and/or an express lane (this is normal in every bank).
    Yea i'm referring to married individuals opening an acct. I just enquire about the id's needed to present not after the kind of treatment they give.

Cheers!

Yes HSBC Passport Account is good for those new comers especially for those students that in whatsover will have no chance to get their names on a utility bills.
    I know Alliance & Leicester accept only 2 valid ID`s and proof of address, the husband can ask to put wife or Fiancee`s name on their Council Tax Bill Statement and other utility bills.
    But IMHO I think its still best to open joint account first like Ms. Iye and Aromolous mentioned above. I think that is a good start for newly husband and wife. Then later on the wife can open her own personal account when the first account established and she eventually got all the requirements to open her own account.
    Yes you're right Potpot143. So back to square one. One has to have her name added first to some if not all the utility bills, and councit tax etc ( did i forget something?)before wife's or fiancee's name can be a joint acct holder of the existing husbands/fiance's acct. and/or open a personal acct of her own.

Quote Originally Posted by vbkelly View Post
    best to open in halifax if you are first timer passport/visa is ok for them
    That's useful to know! I've been with BOS/Halifax for upwards of 35 years, so reckon my Filipina wife should have no problems in either opening a new account there for herself, or banking jointly if and when she starts work.

Hello guys,

I was the one asking for help as to where to open a bank account that will only require a passport. I tried HSBC, Halifax and they require another identification such as utility bills, driver's license (which i dont have) so i guess i have to wait for the utility bill with my name on it.

Thanks everyone and have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information