Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Married Or Maiden name on spouse ID Cards?

Respected Member John Chingford's Avatar

Married Or Maiden name on spouse ID Cards?

Hi I am John, First timer. can anyone give accurate advice on what my wife should do?

My wife a Filipina received a fiancee visa to Britain on Nov27 2008 just 2 days after the changes in UK. We are now married in Britain (a week ago) visa expires 27 May and she is now applying for a 2 year spouse visa. The Home office require her to fill out a FLR (M) form but ask for her title (Miss or Mrs)and her full name as appears in her passport. Her passport is her maiden name, but if she gives this information I think the new ID card will show her maiden name and as a Miss.

The Philippine embassy advise that she get the "amendment" page of her green passport amended to married name but I am unsure whether Home office will notice the amendment as they may not look at the amendments page of passport.

First, does she really need to notify Philippine embassy of her marriage to British citizen and are there any implications or ramifications of not doing so or not having an ID card with her maiden name instead of married name?
    What are the repercussions of having ID card in single name rather than married name. Does it HAVE to be correct? For example once her passport expires at end of 2011 will it become an issue?
    Does anybody know the best thing to do?

Banned
    Use the mrs now as she is married to you already.....We call it Further Leave to Remain ,No need to notify the Phil Embassy,If her passport expire on 2011,before it expire ,renew it at phil Embassy.....I think appearing her married name on ID card is less hassle like going out of the UK like europe country....etc...etc...

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    Use the mrs now as she is married to you already.....We call it Further Leave to Remain ,No need to notify the Phil Embassy,If her passport expire on 2011,before it expire ,renew it at phil Embassy.....I think appearing her married name on ID card is less hassle like going out of the UK like europe country....etc...etc...
    Surely though if you want your new Philippine's passport in your married name you will need to notify the Embassy at some point.

If you do have your passport ammended they will make a note on the front page to look at the ammendments page.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    Surely though if you want your new Philippine's passport in your married name you will need to notify the Embassy at some point.

If you do have your passport ammended they will make a note on the front page to look at the ammendments page.
    What I am saying is....They dont need to notify the phil embassy of thier marriage...that was the question Darren....thats what I am answering..

Quote Originally Posted by John Chingford View Post
    First, does she really need to notify Philippine embassy of her marriage to British citizen
    Unless they wanted to......

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    What I am saying is....They dont need to notify the phil embassy of thier marriage...that was the question Darren....thats what I am answering..
    But you are not pointing out the impact of not registering their marriage. I believe that if you don't register a marriage the Philippines government will not recognise the marriage and not registering actually goes against the Family Code of your country.

Spouse Visa ID Card Issue

Thanks guys. Darren, is that fact that the front page will state "see amendments page" ie are you sure that Home Office will read the amendment page as the ACTUAL name and therefore accept FLR M form showing married name

Respected Member
    Thanks guys. Darren, is that fact that the front page will state "see amendments page" ie are you sure that Home Office will read the amendment page as the ACTUAL name and therefore accept FLR M form showing married name
    I suspect it's not unusual for passports to be ammended in this way so I would hope that the person processing applications would find it.

My suggestion is:
    Better amend her Philippine passport now because it will be very handy in the future (This is a very simple & straight forward process)...

This will avoid confusion too.

HO will meticulously check her passport, her application and her documents if this worries you...

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    My suggestion is:
    Better amend her Philippine passport now because it will be very handy in the future (This is a very simple & straight forward process)...
    They do actually fine you if you register it over a year late. Admittedly only £18 which is nothing compared to the fees the UK goverment charge...

Hi I am John, First timer. can anyone give accurate advice on what my wife should do?

My wife a Filipina received a fiancee visa to Britain on Nov27 2008 just 2 days after the changes in UK. We are now married in Britain (a week ago) visa expires 27 May and she is now applying for a 2 year spouse visa. The Home office require her to fill out a FLR (M) form but ask for her title (Miss or Mrs)and her full name as appears in her passport. Her passport is her maiden name, but if she gives this information I think the new ID card will show her maiden name and as a Miss.

The Philippine embassy advise that she get the "amendment" page of her green passport amended to married name but I am unsure whether Home office will notice the amendment as they may not look at the amendments page of passport.

First, does she really need to notify Philippine embassy of her marriage to British citizen and are there any implications or ramifications of not doing so or not having an ID card with her maiden name instead of married name?
    What are the repercussions of having ID card in single name rather than married name. Does it HAVE to be correct? For example once her passport expires at end of 2011 will it become an issue?
    hi John,

welcome to the forum..

like ur wife I also arrived here in the UK on a fiancee visa then applied for FLR.

and Darren is right, u need to notify the Phil. Embassy about ur marriage- it is called REPORT OF MARRIAGE.. If u go on the Phil. embassy website there is a form there that u need to fill in. if I am not mistaken if u failed to report ur marriage after a year u will have a fine.

in my case, my passport will going to be expired on 2012 and so far I haven't ammended it yet to my married name.

I dont think there will be an issue if ur wife still uses her maiden name though she's married with u already as long as u have ur MArriage Certificate to prove that ur married..

Just my two cents.

what worries me is that we have less than 1 month to succeed with an extension. The website says that if application by personal visit (which is what we want to do) is not straightforward they will not process and therefore we will run out of time if we then send by post (which I really do not want to do). Our appointment is 1 day before expiry. I want to change date to earlier (just in case) but cannot get through to them anymore.

I am sure she can use her married name on the FLR application form, John eventhough her passport is not yet ammended..

Banned
    But you are not pointing out the impact of not registering their marriage. I believe that if you don't register a marriage the Philippines government will not recognise the marriage and not registering actually goes against the Family Code of your country.
    I KNEW IT But by applying FLR as his wife is going to do now,the reason why he is asking those question ..can put set asside and fix it later,at the moment I am applying my FLR and we have the same (almost the same) situation,so on my case I dont bother to notify the phil Embassy for our marriage,I was concentrating my FLR and later ,on June when going back to PI,that is the time I will register my marriage to Manila,
    Of coure they (home office) will....

what I am thinking is that if the Filipino passport shows her marital name as Mrs on the amendments page but the FLR shows her maiden name and as Miss and Home Office notice both names will it not lead to confusion over what name to put on the ID card and worse maybe a rejection by them?

Banned
    what worries me is that we have less than 1 month to succeed with an extension. The website says that if application by personal visit (which is what we want to do) is not straightforward they will not process and therefore we will run out of time if we then send by post (which I really do not want to do). Our appointment is 1 day before expiry. I want to change date to earlier (just in case) but cannot get through to them anymore.
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=15728 hehehe,you are right I suggest you to read that

ohhhh,youre lucky,you managed to contact them....and set for appointment

Banned
    what I am thinking is that if the Filipino passport shows her marital name as Mrs on the amendments page but the FLR shows her maiden name and as Miss and Home Office notice both names will it not lead to confusion over what name to put on the ID card and worse maybe a rejection by them?
    So that why put MRS on the title ngaon FLR form and you have your marriace certificate to show,

Respected Member
    Don't worry, you won't have a problem.

In my wife's case we got married but didn't have time to amend her passport so FLR was granted in her maiden name. I'm sure though we put her married name on the form, but I guess they used her maiden name as that is what her passport still was in. We then got her passport amended, and when she applied for ILR and British citizenship it was granted in her married name.

Originally Posted by John Chingford
    Hi Darren, Looks like only you still on line. I value your advice so far. What is your answer to this:

Banned
    Don't worry, you won't have a problem..
    Thats what i thought John Ching...you are just worrying too much.....
    you will be fine,you been that far.....so just keep calm

You wrote: Don't worry, you won't have a problem.

In my wife's case we got married but didn't have time to amend her passport so FLR was granted in her maiden name. I'm sure though we put her married name on the form, but I guess they used her maiden name as that is what her passport still was in. We then got her passport amended, and when she applied for ILR and British citizenship it was granted in her married name.

Thanks for that Darren. But is the situation not different now because of the imposition of ID cards since Nov 25th?

Respected Member
    Hi John,

Welcome to the forum

As for your query, when i applied for my FLR my passport hasnt been ammended that time but my FLR is in my married name. Then after I received my passport thats when I ammend and report my marriage to Philippine embassy

Hope its help

tiN
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

Hi john i think your wife's passport need to be amended by the philippine embassy first before applying an flr or else she still bringing her last name on the flr visa and not the married name, it happens before to one of my friend.
    Wena&Russ

Hi TiN

Let me clarify. You put your married name on FLR even though passport was in maiden name? The ID card stated your married name? You then amended passport afterwards to show married name. Is that correct? If so, I think my wife should do same. However, someone else stated that FLR came back with maiden name. Seems like they are not consistent.

Hi TiN one other question. What date and year did you apply for FLR because things changed on 25 Nov 2008

Quote Originally Posted by tiN View Post
    Hi John,

Welcome to the forum

As for your query, when i applied for my FLR my passport hasnt been ammended that time but my FLR is in my married name. Then after I received my passport thats when I ammend and report my marriage to Philippine embassy

Hope its help

tiN
    hi tin, good thing it works on you , but im sure your aware of what had happen to one of our friend..she did the same thing they even applied an flr visa in person, but ended up using her last name still.
    Wena&Russ

Thanks guys for all your advice experiences etc. But has any of you made or know of others who have received fiancee visas to UK after 25 nov 2008, got married in UK and then applied for FLR(M) and ID card afterwards with success? what did you or they do regarding FLR and Filipno passport to obtain the results they wanted?

Thanks

Respected Member
    Hi TiN

Let me clarify. You put your married name on FLR even though passport was in maiden name? The ID card stated your married name? You then amended passport afterwards to show married name. Is that correct? If so, I think my wife should do same. However, someone else stated that FLR came back with maiden name. Seems like they are not consistent.
    The difference now John is we did not received an ID card, because i applied mine in 2007

If u wanted to make sure ammend the passport first but knowing right now, you need to go to London to apply for the ammendment and can get it also same day? (not sure about this but i will try to confirm it for you )
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

Respected Member
    Thanks guys for all your advice experiences etc. But has any of you made or know of others who have received fiancee visas to UK after 25 nov 2008, got married in UK and then applied for FLR(M) and ID card afterwards with success? what did you or they do regarding FLR and Filipno passport to obtain the results they wanted?

Thanks
    I will contact my friend and ask her, and ill get back to u

Quote Originally Posted by tiN View Post
    The difference now John is we did not received an ID card, because i applied mine in 2007

If u wanted to make sure ammend the passport first but knowing right now, you need to go to London to apply for the ammendment and can get it also same day? (not sure about this but i will try to confirm it for you )

Still wondering Tin how did u managed to get that married name in your flr visa without the ammendment where infact one of our friend applied the same year..
    Wena&Russ

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russ01539 View Post
    Still wondering Tin how did u managed to get that married name in your flr visa without the ammendment where infact one of our friend applied the same year..
    I dont know why

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information