Thread: XOOM won't let me send money

XOOM won't let me send money

Hi everyone,

I want to send 20 pounds to my 13 year old sister for her birthday cake and I used xoom coz i believe it's the cheapest and it's the most conevenient way of sending to the philippines after comparing its charges to Western Union and Moneygram. I also checked PNB euro .com but for some reason you can't send money unless you submit your passport and other documents. What a hassle to send 20 pounds! Anyway, After filling in the form on xoom.com it says " CARD AUTHORIZATION FAILED" I used my BDO debit card and also tried my husband's HSBC debit card but it says the same thing! Both debit cards have enough funds ,I wonder what the problem is?
    Has anyone experienced this? THANKS in advance for all of your replies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ANDRES25 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I want to send 20 pounds to my 13 year old sister for her birthday cake and I used xoom coz i believe it's the cheapest and it's the most conevenient way of sending to the philippines after comparing its charges to Western Union and Moneygram. I also checked PNB euro .com but for some reason you can't send money unless you submit your passport and other documents. What a hassle to send 20 pounds! Anyway, After filling in the form on xoom.com it says " CARD AUTHORIZATION FAILED" I used my BDO debit card and also tried my husband's HSBC debit card but it says the same thing! Both debit cards have enough funds ,I wonder what the problem is?
    My Japanese students are sending me their payments via XOOM. So far, they have not encountered any problems.

One of the members here, has also tried sending me money via XOOM and it worked well.

However, when my student from Hongkong tried sending me his payment via XOOM, they automatically cancelled the transaction, thinking it was a fraudulent one. I don't know what the problem is. So, he ended up sending me his payment via Western Union.

So far never encountered any problems with xoom. It is credited to the recipient's acct in less than an hour.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    So far never encountered any problems with xoom. It is credited to the recipient's acct in less than an hour.
    It's true, it usually takes an hour or so. I usually have my students send it directly into my bank account. I don't have to go out to get their payments. It's actually very convenient.

Hi everyone,

If your only going to send money once or very infrequently, then I agree, it's far too much hassle, but if you send money regularly then it is worth the hassle because it's much cheaper and faster and PNB also consistently offer higher exchange rates than both Western Union and Xoom, usually about 3 or 4 pesos per pound higher at any given time in my experience.
    Iain.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    Agree with u sis
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

We haven't encountered trouble yet in xoom.

Hi ANDRES25,
    My husband regularly sends me money via Xoom. From what I heard from him, Xoom do not accept debit cards. He use a credit card instead...Just try to use a credit card if you have one..

Shirley....

Banned
    Hi everyone,

You will find it much easier and user friendly if , like me, you use paypal in tandem with xoom.

If your husband already has a paypal account all the better, if not, it will be very simple to open one.

http://www.paypal.co.uk/uk

I have been using this system for a number of years and never had any problems, really.

i used xoom but payed buy credit card which needed a phone from them,which took 2 days after when left a message on my answer phone and then a day to get it sent to my wife...thats not so quick!

i guess using paypal cuts out the nonsense?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post

i guess using paypal cuts out the nonsense?
    Yup..........

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    You will find it much easier and user friendly if , like me, you use paypal in tandem with xoom.

If your husband already has a paypal account all the better, if not, it will be very simple to open one.

http://www.paypal.co.uk/uk

I have been using this system for a number of years and never had any problems, really.
    Thanks Mod Aromulus,

We have tried so many times setting up paypal account but for some reason it always fails, something to do with the cards we use. anyway, I'll try it again...

Quote Originally Posted by paulgee View Post
    Hi ANDRES25,
    My husband regularly sends me money via Xoom. From what I heard from him, Xoom do not accept debit cards. He use a credit card instead...Just try to use a credit card if you have one..

Shirley....
    Thanks Shirley, that really sucks,why would they not accept debit card? I really avoid using credit card as much as possible coz the interest rate is so insanely high.

Thanks Shirley, that really sucks,why would they not accept debit card? I really avoid using credit card as much as possible coz the interest rate is so insanely high.
    CC arent that bad as long as you pay the full balance before the due date (no interests) Some companies do not accept Debit cards as they are unsecured.

Also, I have read that it is best to use CCs on purchases (online) as they have insurances.

Just pay it off as soon as you have transferred the money...hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    CC arent that bad as long as you pay the full balance before the due date (no interests) Some companies do not accept Debit cards as they are unsecured.

Also, I have read that it is best to use CCs on purchases (online) as they have insurances.

Just pay it off as soon as you have transferred the money...hope this helps
    Oh Thanks Zobel, you're educating me. I really don't know much about credit cards. But yes I agree with you that Credit card is good when you're shopping online or paying for an airline ticket coz it's insured. I've never had one and never intend to get one, my husband has 3 though, that's why I really don't need it.

Oh Thanks Zobel, you're educating me. I really don't know much about credit cards. But yes I agree with you that Credit card is good when you're shopping online or paying for an airline ticket coz it's insured. I've never had one and never intend to get one, my husband has 3 though, that's why I really don't need it.
    No worries D!

> CCs are good as long as you know your spending limit hehe (do not be carried away, can be too overwhelming!)
    > Pay it off before due date.
    > Some CC companies offer cash rebates after some period of time (very minimal though)
    > Good for emergencies hehe...
    > Be cautious regarding cash withdrawals

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    No worries D!

> CCs are good as long as you know your spending limit hehe (do not be carried away, can be too overwhelming!)
    > Pay it off before due date.
    > Some CC companies offer cash rebates after some period of time (very minimal though)
    > Good for emergencies hehe...
    > Be cautious regarding cash withdrawals
    In short use only when its necessary But sometimes i am carried away..bad example
    I always use CC when buying online too or my paypal account its safer that way

Thanks for that info zobel
    LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

Banned
    Thanks Mod Aromulus,

We have tried so many times setting up paypal account but for some reason it always fails, something to do with the cards we use. anyway, I'll try it again...

Maybe you are not following the instructions very carefully.
    Paypal is the safest method of online payments.

After you register, paypal will withdraw 2 small amounts from your bank account ( pences), a few days later you will receive a letter stating how much money was taken out and ask you to input the sums into the online registration page.
    After that is done, your account is up and running.
    It is all done for security, to help you against fraud and to help paypal to verify they are dealing with the right person.
    The small amounts taken out from your account will be reimbursed within a couple of working days.

In the many years since I joined the scheme, I never encountered any problems.
    You can also send money directly to another bank account if the holder, and that account are registered with paypal. All you need is a valid email address.

I used this system a few years back, when Jet's dad was taken to hospital because of a stroke, and a yank friend of ours was on site.
    I paypalled some money to his email address and it was debited to his paypal account.
    As soon as he received the confirmation email from paypal he went to the hospital and handed the money to my wife.... Timescale..... 3 hours.

Credit and debit cards I belive are not all equal.

With xoom one of my High street bank issued cards would not work while others would.

This issue has occured elsewhere. Something to do with how they are registered etc

Also I belive using a Credit card on XOOM is treated as a cash withdrawal as are i belive westen union and others. Same happens if paying for the money with Credit cards with money exchange firms when you go on holiday i belive.

Some Credit card companies have cash withdrawal limits (maybe all i don't know) so even if your limit is 3000 you may only be able to withdrawn up to 1500 in total in cash of that 3000. I presume once the limit is met you can only use for purchasing.
    Worth rembering both for remittances,emgency cash withdrawals and money exchange.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

From the UK it is worth considering a prepaid mastercard like IDT prime free load over 100 pounds and costs £1.50 + 3% to withdraw in Dumaguete as opposed to 15% now on xoom for small ammounts you get a card and a pin number and send it to the phils seperately of course. total cost for 2 cards is £10

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by future=dreams View Post
    From the UK it is worth considering a prepaid mastercard like IDT prime free load over 100 pounds and costs £1.50 + 3% to withdraw in Dumaguete as opposed to 15% now on xoom for small ammounts you get a card and a pin number and send it to the phils seperately of course. total cost for 2 cards is £10
    Where d'yah get 15% from...???

Thread Information