Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the purpose of the word "QUOTE"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is the purpose of the word "QUOTE"

Hi To All,

Will someone please explain to me what is the purpose of the word "QUOTE" in the forum mean?

AT first i didn't know how to use it and just use the space below for the reply if i want to reply to a certain post or thread of a fellow member, moderators or the Admin. After quite sometime of being in the forum i noticed some members does the quoting. My posts are quoted by some. Since i learned about it and so i have started to use it which appears easy and clear to the reader if he/she reads a reply to a certain post.

Almost all are using it, may the members of the Admin, the moderators and members as well. There's nothing wrong in quoting, is there?

What can the members say about quoting? Is it a big deal if we use it?
    The Admin had put it there for such a purpose. If we don't use it what will happen if we reply to a certain post and then it was deleted by the one who made the post? Our post will look like lost in the dark.......

Just want to know the purpose of quoting. Maybe i'm not too brilliant to understand. May thanks for the replies.....

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

are you refering to you quoting potpot and her posts being deleted?

there are times others have been quoted only to get deleted after making the thread or post seem abit odd?

theres nothing wrong in quoting someone,so you can respond to there QUOTE!

but it depends on the reasons why you are quoting them?

Banned
    Yes, indeed!! There's nothing wrong in quoting one's post. IMO, it's more easier to reply to a certain post.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    IMO, it's more easier to reply to a certain post.
    What's IMO?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    What's IMO?
    In My Opinion (in my opinion)

I also didnt know that before....I just ask my dearly friend here in the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    In My Opinion (in my opinion)

I also didnt know that before....I just ask my dearly friend here in the forum
    Ta, Juliet.

Arrow I am quoting

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    Hi To All,

The Admin had put it there for such a purpose. If we don't use it what will happen if we reply to a certain post and then it was deleted by the one who made the post? Our post will look like lost in the dark.......

Just want to know the purpose of quoting. Maybe i'm not too brilliant to understand. May thanks for the replies.....

Cheers!
    RINGS A BELL...DING! Better quote then ...lol

I use quote when i'm replying / addressing to a particular person's post. I think it would be advisable to clarify which message/post you're referrring to.
    with a heart full of love, you will express your highest potential while also fulfilling your soul's deepest purpose:
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    you really had sharp memory ,aint you?

Quote Originally Posted by bornabith View Post
    yeah true enough,sometimes members thought you are being clever to explain if you quote her/him,in general ,nothing wrong in quoting Miss iye

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    You can't quote the one i type in Sophie profile Zobel,hehhe I am guilty your honor

You can't quote the one i type in Sophie profile Zobel,hehhe I am guilty your honor

Thanks MrsJ hehe... You are pardoned hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post

there are times others have been quoted only to get deleted after making the thread or post seem abit odd?

theres nothing wrong in quoting someone,so you can respond to there QUOTE!

HI bornatbirth, I didn't notice Popot's post was deleted. After i read your reply then i checked it........
    It was gone.... but i agreed to that post, it was informative. Why should we delete if someone agrees?...
    I'm confused!!!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Unhappy

Hi To All,

Will someone please explain to me what is the purpose of the word "QUOTE" in the forum mean?

AT first i didn't know how to use it and just use the space below for the reply if i want to reply to a certain post or thread of a fellow member, moderators or the Admin. After quite sometime of being in the forum i noticed some members does the quoting. My posts are quoted by some. Since i learned about it and so i have started to use it which appears easy and clear to the reader if he/she reads a reply to a certain post.

Almost all are using it, may the members of the Admin, the moderators and members as well. There's nothing wrong in quoting, is there?

Cheers!
    S'funny ... by some peculiar coincidence, I keep trying to HIGHLIGHT certain sections of other members' posts in order to answer ONLY the parts to which I think my reply is likely to be relevant [and, if I may say so, have attempted to do the same thing again with this one of yours]. Yet, after submitting my response, I invariably find the entire screed has been quoted ... which rather detracts from the point(s) I'm attempting to get across; whereas others here manage to "work wonders" with italics and so forth, I'm restricted to the use of block capitals for the purpose of emphasis, due to my limited knowledge of technology.

So, that said, I am probably not the best person to help out with your query. Quoting passages of script is, nonetheless, a useful tool for drawing attention to what has been written or, in this case, typed. I would, therefore, suggest you left-click your mouse' (holding it down for a few seconds and move it over the text to highlight [in blue] the words you want shown ... then immediately left-click on the word 'Quote' found in the bottom right-hand corner of the box containing the contributor's post.

As I mentioned, I'm no expert in such matters, but I do hope my advice [for what it's worth] will go some way towards clarifying matters.

Hi Arthur,
    If you delete everything you don't want to quote that appears after the closing square bracket at the beginning of the post and the opening square bracket at the end of the post you wish to quote and leave only the part you wish to quote within those brackets, then you will only quote the part you want to quote.

S'funny ... by some peculiar coincidence, I keep trying to HIGHLIGHT certain sections of other members' posts in order to answer ONLY the parts to which I think my reply is likely to be relevant [and, if I may say so, have attempted to do the same thing again with this one of yours]. Yet, after submitting my response, I invariably find the entire screed has been quoted ... which rather detracts from the point(s) I'm attempting to get across; whereas others here manage to "work wonders" with italics and so forth, I'm restricted to the use of block capitals for the purpose of emphasis, due to my limited knowledge of technology.

So, that said, I am probably not the best person to help out with your query. Quoting passages of script is, nonetheless, a useful tool for drawing attention to what has been written or, in this case, typed. I would, therefore, suggest you left-click your mouse' (holding it down for a few seconds and move it over the text to highlight [in blue] the words you want shown ... then immediately left-click on the word 'Quote' found in the bottom right-hand corner of the box containing the contributor's post.

As I mentioned, I'm no expert in such matters, but I do hope my advice [for what it's worth] will go some way towards clarifying matters.
    If for instance you highlighted and deleted everything in your post that I have highlighted in BOLD letters, you would end up with a quote that looks like the one below.

I invariably find the entire screed has been quoted
    Cheers,
    Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Hi Arthur,
    If you delete everything you don't want to quote that appears after the closing square bracket at the beginning of the post and the opening square bracket at the end of the post you wish to quote and leave only the part you wish to quote within those brackets, then you will only quote the part you want to quote.

If for instance you highlighted and deleted everything in your post that I have highlighted in BOLD letters, you would end up with a quote that looks like the one below.

Cheers,
    Iain.

I shall certainly bear all that in mind for future reference; ta very much, Iain.

Cheers mate,
    Arthur

Hi To All,

hi Ate Shelly,

i think the purpose of the word /icon "QUOTE" in here is for the people to know who are u replying to also to indicate the exact words of the other poster/s..

I dont think there's something wrong in quoting, or else Admin won't put it in here..

Cheers!
    for me, I used to quote certain posts that I am replying to because in that way people who's reading my posts will know where my post is coming..

also for security and copyrighted purposes..

oh Ive already quoted u in ur post sis Shelly..

Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    hi Ate Shelly,

i think the purpose of the word /icon "QUOTE" in here is for the people to know who are u replying to also to indicate the exact words of the other poster/s..

I dont think there's something wrong in quoting, or else Admin won't put it in here..

for me, I used to quote certain posts that I am replying to because in that way people who's reading my posts will know where my post is coming..

also for security and copyrighted purposes..

oh Ive already quoted u in ur post sis Shelly..
    It's ok Sis Kimmi, it doesn't bother me at all. BTW i have quoted your posts as well...........

IMO - In my opinion
    IMAO - In my arrogant opinion
    TBH - To be honest
    ATM - at the moment

hahahhahaa...

IMO - In my opinion
    TBH - To be honest
    ATM - at the moment

hahahhahaa...
    COOL!!! I didn't know about these things before! Thanks!!!

Banned
    IMO - In my opinion
    TBH - To be honest
    ATM - at the moment
    to add.....LMAO- laughing my ass out

I didnt realize about ATM,change the meaning by itself

to add.....LMAO- laughing my ass out

I didnt realize about ATM,change the meaning by itself
    Here's me thinking an ATM is a "hole in the wall" cash dispensing machine! What about BTW?

ATM in pinas has a different meaning,like this Automatic Tubig Machine in Larena,stick your peso in and get a bag of ice-cold mineral water

BTW,by the way

Banned
    Here's me thinking an ATM is a "hole in the wall" cash dispensing machine! What about BTW?
    Automatic Teller Machine was the real meaning of it,Zobel just make it humour

Sorry iye,we are curving on the topic of the thread,guys back to topic.."Quote"

Automatic Teller Machine was the real meaning of it,Zobel just make it humour

Sorry iye,we are curving on the topic of the thread,guys back to topic.."Quote"
    It's ok MrsJMajor.... no problem.....

we are all quoting...

Good thread Iye!

So i can see everybody knows the purpose of QUOTE. If we use that it doesn't mean we don't like her/him personally. So asking this question "why do you always quote my posts"? is not acceptable or shall i say shouldn't be asked......

Cheers!

So i can see everybody knows the purpose of QUOTE. If we use that it doesn't mean we don't like her/him personally. So asking this question "why do you always quote my posts"? is not acceptable or shall i say shouldn't be asked......

Cheers!
    simply put we all can misunderstand each other?

we shouldnt worry so much,whatever we post we all can read it another way to how it is written!

you will find that some quote the same people and not others,for what reason thats upto them?

but why be bothered?

you are who you are!

Cheers!
    It's more of a COMPLIMENT, actually. Whether or not respondent(s) agree with what you say in your post, it shows he/she/they have, at the very least, taken the trouble to read its content and express comment in some way or other ... be it positive or negative.

So relax! ... there's absolutely no harm in asking or, for that matter, airing your views on almost any topic under the sun ... 'free speech' is what this forum is supposed to be all about ... and no-one here will think any the less of you for it.

Ok sis I'll try not to quote this time

Literally it's easy to understand about “QUOTE” but yes you’re rights what’s the purpose like bornatbirth says depends from reasons why you’re quoting,
    IMO some reasons are:
    maybe you need to clarify something,
    you don’t agree what he/she said,
    or you’re amazed about his/her post and agree with it.

and yes nothing wrong with quoting, as long as it’s SENSIBLE (not offending) and POLITE reply or else add humour

But beware there are some post which are offensive and disobeying rules just report it to the admin or click the RED TRIANGLE with exclamation point icon saying report post so admin and moderators will take action of it, then I guess no need to quote this post.
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Well said Sis...I never use that red icon on the topmost corner.. thanks sis Leah

and yes nothing wrong with quoting, as long as it’s SENSIBLE (not offending) and POLITE reply or else add humour

Once we read replies it has different meanings. It is because each one has different views on everything. For some they just look at it as humour, or not a big deal at all but for some they look at it differently hence they are offended. Even if our posts are not offending or are polite for some it still mean something else.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information