Thread: Registrar General

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Florge and Itsme

Sorry I don't want to appear to be splitting hairs but if you are in UK and you tell the authorities your marriage was annulled. It must be accepted that you are saying that as it relates to the Law of the UK. That is that the ceremony which appeared to be a marriage ceremony was not and that you were not married. In that case you are single.

If you say you were legally married anywhere and that the marriage was dissolved then any advice to show single would be incorrect. (If the true status was reported to the UK Registrar General his advice would be the same as mine. But as I said, if you told him your marriage was annulled, as per UK law, then you are single.)

If you are in UK then UK law applies. For example if a person over 16 married in say Spain to a person under that age, if they visited UK and slept together they would be open to prosecution for underage sex. Jerry Lee Lewis many years ago was legally married in USA (Kentucky I think) to a girl under 16. He was told if he visit UK with his wife he would be open to prosecution.

The law is fascinating and not always obvious. That's why people can earn their living interpreting it.

Apologies, but unless someone has a new angle, please forgive me, but I do not see how I can add anymore.
    If you disagree with what I have said we must agree to differ.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Florge and Itsme

Sorry I don't want to appear to be splitting hairs but if you are in UK and you tell the authorities your marriage was annulled. It must be accepted that you are saying that as it relates to the Law of the UK. That is that the ceremony which appeared to be a marriage ceremony was not and that you were not married. In that case you are single.

If you say you were legally married anywhere and that the marriage was dissolved then any advice to show single would be incorrect. (If the true status was reported to the UK Registrar General his advice would be the same as mine. But as I said, if you told him your marriage was annulled, as per UK law, then you are single.)

If you are in UK then UK law applies. For example if a person over 16 married in say Spain to a person under that age, if they visited UK and slept together they would be open to prosecution for underage sex. Jerry Lee Lewis many years ago was legally married in USA (Kentucky I think) to a girl under 16. He was told if he visit UK with his wife he would be open to prosecution.

The law is fascinating and not always obvious. That's why people can earn their living interpreting it.

Apologies, but unless someone has a new angle, please forgive me, but I do not see how I can add anymore.

sorry but I'm not disagreeing with you in any way... just pointing out that putting single in the status is what Ady should do as this is what the UK Registrar General told him. I am guessing that's what itsme_iye was also trying to point out. No one is disagreeing with you po.

Florge and Itsme

To Johncar54,

I'm just saying what the Registrar General says. I have the same opinion as yours that is use the title of annulled not single but because the RG say so then so be it.

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    To Johncar54,

I'm just saying what the Registrar General says. I have the same opinion as yours that is use the title of annulled not single but because the RG say so then so be it.

Cheers!
    You may have missed it where I said; If the true status was reported to the UK Registrar General his advice would be the same as mine, but if you told him your marriage was annulled, as per UK law, he would say you are single.

If you told him the marriage had been dissolved (annulled Filipino style) he would not say show single.

You may have missed it where I said; If the true status was reported to the UK Registrar General his advice would be the same as mine, but if you told him your marriage was annulled, as per UK law, he would say you are single.

If you told him the marriage had been dissolved (annulled Filipino style) he would not say show single.
    To Johncar54,

The true status was reported to the UK Registrar and the advice is not the same as yours Johncar54...... The advice is to use single.

Yes the RG knows that previous marriage was annulled (Phil Law). They always do the double checking that is sending the papers to the Head Office. Even if you don't tell them they know that every country has different laws.

To Ady,
    Go ahead of your plans. You might be confused here. Your fiancee should use the title of single because if she use the title of annulled then she will be called to affix her signature on the corrections to be made...

Best of luck!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Thread Information