Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Settlement Interview - How to prepare

The Settlement Interview - How to prepare

The Settlement Interview - How to Prepare

It is more than likely that if you apply for entry clearance to the United Kingdom, that you will have to at some stage attend the British Embassy in Manila for an interview with an ECO.

Most readers seem to be under the impression that this is a formality, they could not be more wrong, it is far from it, some of our male readers on the forum are under the impression that they can just apply for a visa, and just allow their wife or fiancée to ad lib it at the embassy, this is not a good move, for one thing, the Entry clearance officers are held responsible to uphold the immigration rules of UK entry clearance.

Their job is to ensure that the rules for granting a visa are complied with, in this case the visa being applied for is

“Someone who wishes to enter the United Kingdom who is a spouse or who intends to marry someone who is settled in the United Kingdom”.

What does this mean ?

It means that the Applicant is actually the person who wishes to enter the United Kingdom, and not the sponsor, who tends to be the British man who is entering into such a relationship, so understand the following:

1. The Sponsor is the British man.

2. The Applicant is the Filipina wife or Fiancée.

It is the Applicant who has to make the application, and has to sign it as such, she is responsible for the accuracy of all information, although some of the information on form VAFW 2002 is actually about the sponsor, the sponsor by nature has to provide the financial support and provide satisfactory accommodation in the UK.

So for those readers who are concerned about the process of application, there are 2 stages to this.

1. The Application and lodgement of such an application at the British Embassy in Manila.

2. The Settlement Interview.

The first process is self explanatory, and there is plenty of information on the Forum about this process, so I do not propose to write about this again.

It is the 2nd stage that I am wishing to write about, this is known as the “Settlement Interview”, what is this all about, and what should you do about it.

Well firstly, once your spouse/fiancée has submitted her application, by either personal submission or using the CAVA system, (CAVA see submission of application in other areas of the forum)

The British Embassy will no doubt have given the applicant a date for her attendance at the British Embassy.

Firstly, if the applicant does not speak very good English, this may be a slight disadvantage, for one thing, it is better if the interview is conducted in English rather than local languages, or Tagalog.

If the applicant wishes the interview to be conducted in Tagalog, a translator will be present during the interview, also the interview will be held privately between the ECO and the applicant, it is unlikely that the sponsor will be allowed to the interview, although it may seek to help If the sponsor is in the embassy waiting and the ECO is made aware of this.

The applicant should be smartly dressed, and on time for the interview, lateness and all sorts of excuses will fall on deaf ears, its no point in saying Trafik ng Trafik sa Ayala, it will fall on deaf ears.

There are literally thousands of applicants every month, if you are to be there for 10.10am in the morning, then be there.

What form will the interview take ?

The interview will be conducted behind a glass screen for the ECO, therefore if the applicant is unable to hear any questions, she should ask for it to be repeated, the ECO will be taking notes, this is nothing to fear, notes are always taken, as a complete transcript of the interview must be taken, in the event that a visa is refused, and the matter is referred automatically to the Immigration Appellate authority in the UK.

Whatever the ECO does, this is not a cause for alarm, he or she will be scribbling notes on different occasions, he or she may disappear to go out of the interview for a moment or two, this may be to consult with a colleague, it is not to be taken as a problem, in other words, alarm bells should not be ringing.

Being on this type of interview is very similar in many ways to what happens in a criminal trial, whatever you see in front of you, your body language should show that you expected it to happen.

Often body language and confidence, goes a long way to satisfying the ECO that a relationship is genuine, this is why I recommend that all interviews are conducted in English, then there is no chance of the applicant replies to questions being translated by a Filipino speaker who has no interest in your application.

So What sort of things do they want to know ?

Firstly, the ECO wants to satisfy themselves that a genuine relationship exists between the applicant and the sponsor, if there is any doubt, the visa may be refused, and left to the immigration appellate authority to sort out, this may take months to get a 2nd hearing in UK.

So lets move the odds into your favour, how can you shift the odds towards a positive result, if the ECO is satisfied that a entry clearance visa is to be issued, then your partner will be asked to come back in the afternoon or the next day to collect her passport, but don’t try and book her ticket just yet, there are one or two things that have to be done before she can climb aboard the aircraft.

How to get a positive result !

Be prepared, preparation for this stage of the process if the most important and loving thing you can do for your partner, leaving her to go on the interview without any help is not a very nice thing for her, she may be shy, some Filipino’s are shy of authority, she may feel intimidated by her surroundings, this being the British Embassy, she may be in fear of refusal when there is no need to be, in truth she may have a lot of things going around her mind.

Preparation goes a long way to helping her to get through the interview, which could be anything from 15 minutes to 4 hours, depending on the answers given, and the level of satisfaction that the entry clearance officer needs.

So how do you prepare.

Firstly our Forum Administrator Keith and myself have both said in the past, you need lots of evidence of relationship, and it does help if this evidence is close to hand when asked to produce it, if your partner, the applicant wife/fiancée is expected to produce this, then make it easy for her, by placing it in a nice file that she can immediately go to the relative section.

She will need a couple of photo albums of the two of you together.

She will need evidence of your travel to the Philippines, and also, evidence of close contact, I.e. phone cards, e mail transcripts, yahoo chat transcripts, some of these or all may not be required, but the more evidence that you have the better you are prepared.

So she has the evidence, this is available to her, and when asked for it, she can offer it to the ECO for scrutiny.

She is then likely to be asked a series of questions, these questions are designed to find out if the relationship is genuine, that the two of you have met, and that there is a reasonable chance that the two of you intend to live together in the UK as man and wife, and that this application is not just a cover up for an economic migration.

Some of the questions themselves may be an attempt to see how one reacts to a question, or to test the applicants knowledge of her partner, in any event all questions need answering, sometimes depending on how she will answer, may be a disaster and could lead to a refusal.

Therefore it is my best advice, that you should print off a copy of my advices here, and in truth you really need to “Coach” your partner and teach her how to answer the questions so as to obtain the most positive result.

So how about the questions ? Here they are some are straight forward others may need explaining, which I will seek to do.

1. Is this your first application for a visa ?

2. Have you applied for any other visa to go to other countries ?
    This question may be an attempt to find out if the applicant has done this before, or has been engaged to another man, it may be an attempt to see if the applicant has made a habit of doing this in the past.

3. Have you ever been refused a visa ?

4. Is this your first visit overseas ?

If the applicant has visited an overseas destination before and has returned, without being a flight risk, this may go positively towards a decision.

5. Is this your first and only passport.

6. How long do you intend to stay in the UK ?

This question is no doubt a red herring, the replies to this, may be documented, it could be answered in many ways, but someone in a genuine relationship will probably say “As long as my husband’s career demands”, or similar.
    Again it should be noted there are no wrong or right answers, it is simply a process of looking at the applicants motives for applying for a visa.

7. Why do you want to go to UK ?

Well this is self explanatory, for example if the applicant were to say

“For a better life”

Then its clear to the ECO that being with her husband or fiancé was not even given a mention, this would be a bad answer, and if the answers continue in that direction, will no doubt lead to a refusal to grant a visa.

A good answer would have been “To be settled with my husband and to care for him”

8. I suppose if you get your visa, you will be looking forward to a better life in the UK ?

Again common sense here will prevail, its not much good in saying yes to that, a more detailed response is needed such as:

I will be looking forward to living with my husband, and caring for him, (you could be really confident and say) I know once he has me with him, he is in for a much better life than he has now), again, confidence in replying is everything.

9. Would you still have married your husband if you could not live in the UK ?

Use your head here, of course if you said no to this, that’s a outright refusal question, anyone with an ounce of sense is not going to say no to this.

10. What will you do if this visa is refused ?

This is known as the classic red herring question, its purpose we all suspect is to put you on the back foot, or make you feel intimidated, its design is to see if you say, oh well if its refused I will not go through with the marriage or something along those lines, the correct response is to just say, well ok, if it is, it will be difficult for my husband and I but we will find a way of being together.

Meeting Questions.

1. When did you first meet your partner ?

This is just designed to trap you, in case you have never met your partner.

2. How did you meet your partner ?

3. Did you stay with him when you met ?

4. So how long where you with him ?

5. Did he write or call you ??

Obviously this is where your evidence of letter writing comes in, and obviously your call longs, calling cards, etc, will support your answers.

6. When was his first letter to you ?

Again I have been telling you boys out there, about letter writing, the longer the gap in postmarks, the longer the relationship, if she has the very first letter to the most recent showing a long relationship, all the better, for you.

7. Do you have any photos to show me ?

Here we go again, now she has all your photo albums, this is the time to produce them.

8. When did your husband or fiancé propose to you ?

9. Did you ask him to marry you ?

I mean come on be serious about this, if she replies yes to this, that is a dead ringer for refusal, she might say, hey, that’s not a girls job, hmmm whats a girl to do, if she has to do that.

Family Questions.

Have either of you been married before ?

This is not likely so in her case, but it may be in yours, it help if she knows your personal history, if she doesn’t, then why doesn’t she know ? What else are you hiding in the background.

Do you have any children ?

If the applicant has children, and there is no mention of them on the application, this is a bad move, always tell the embassy exactly the truth.

Does your husband have any children from a previous relationship ?

Again it helps if the applicant is aware of your personal history, this is in case, she may be required to help with the children.

Occupation questions.

What qualifications do you have ?

Have you ever worked abroad ?

Where do you live ?

Do you know if its ok for your husband to have a second person living with him ?

Does your husband or partner send you money ?

Little note here, if you are not sending “Sustento” for your loved one, this may be not looked at nicely, if you are not supporting your wife, or fiancée, it might not go well towards a visa being issued.

Do you think your husband/fiancé will be able to take care of your needs ?

Personal motive questions.

These questions are apparently famous for dropping the whole interview in the waste bin, as you will see, there are no wrong or right answers.

1. What do you have in common ?

This is a question that is offered to find out how much the applicant knows about the sponsor, this is not a time to be scratching your head, you must be ready to answer this question properly.

2. Why did you marry him ?

This is the ultimate in making sure you don’t put your foot in it, the applicant can always say “I marry him for the sex” but then again, probably not a good idea, in truth, a personal statement of love, would be the best answer.

3. What do you like most about him ?
    Again, if the applicant knows the sponsor, this will be an easy question to answer, just talk about his qualities.

4. What is the real reason you want to marry him ?

Again a final test to see if the applicant is not being truthful, just be firm and confess your love for the Sponsor.

5. How do you feel about the differences in culture. ?

Again, a modest answer here will do, just stating that you think that you both understand one another cultural differences, that will be find.

Have you understood all the questions.

If you have, fine then just reply yes, at this stage, the ECO will no doubt have formed an opinion, on what they think the answer will be to the application, they will have taken various notes, and if satisfied, will most probably tell the applicant to come back later, and collect the visa.

If a visa is refused the applicant will be told, that the ECO is not at that stage satisfied with the evidence both documentary and the interview, the applicant will be given a notice of refusal and then the matter will go to appeal at the Immigration Appellate authority.

However if the evidence is compelling and the interview preparation was good, there is no reason if the relationship is genuine why a visa cannot be issued.

I hope this clears up the situation, for many interested readers, but the key is as always throughout all my articles :

BE PREPARED.

Re: The Settlement Interview - How to prepare

Hi Pete is Maurizio...hope you are well.
    Sorry for been long to chat with you.But I ve been busy and also in Italy for a week.
    This is just to tell you how Me and Richie are getting on with our love life and the Uk Embassy.
    I did send al what she need 3 weeks or so ago by courier I use "Federal Exspress" I paid only £52.00 but it was worthed.
    They collect the documents from my work on Thursday and by Saturday Afternoon they were delivered To my Girlfriend place in Davao City.
    last week Richie called the CAVA UK telephone number and lats week on Saturday they Courier from Abolitz Exspress pick all the fee and documents to bring tothe UK embassy in Manila.yerstarday saturday 26 November she received everything back from the same courier.She have been given an appointment on the 2nd February 2005..The only questions they ask about me is the date of Birth of my late father and the embassy return the cash money fees for The Visa and said that she mist on the date of the interview bring with her a manager cheque for 28.200 or so pesos .(fees went up I guess).I will myself go to The Philippines and flight out on the 23rd January cause I want to make sure she will be trained for the questions they might ask her..
    Now we hope for the best...Talk to you soon maurizio

Administrator

They make it all sound like a life or death exam, but actually it's a friendly and relaxed interview. Tell her to just be herself, a little humour is good (not the Chubby Brown type :o).

If your there when the interview takes place, they will probably call you in, but this is a good thing, and they like to meet the potential 'mate' as it proves it is not a setup.
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Free Asian dating & forum - www.filipinouk.co.uk
    Subscription dating, 1000's of members - www.asiansingle4u.com
    Professional gambling & forum - www.win2win.co.uk
    Betting bot reviews - www.exchangebots.com
    Professional poker & forum - www.win2winpoker.co.uk
    Astronomy forum - www.astronomy-forum.co.uk
    Company site - www.win2win-limited.co.uk

Hey Maurizio, great news buddy, glad to hear all the papers went ok..good to see Forum Moderators meeting with members to complete their papers, this is good evidence that this forum has helped people, in many ways, certainly enjoyed that meeting at Liverpool Street Station London, back then Maurizio, thought you had got lost, or gone off the face of the earth, lost your numbers Maurizio and wanted to pop into your restaraunt in Paddington, but lost the address.

Come back to me with the details, so I can pop in and see you. so it looks like the fees have gone up, I am in the Embassy again In January, so I will get an update on the fees, then for everyone, great that Richie got a interview appointment for 2nd February, thats great, so its only about 8 weeks or so...which is good news, hope that goes well for you buddy, if you go with her as Keith has nicely pointed out, I think it would be a good idea, they might then call you in, I'm definately going for Gina's interview, I think its always wise to do that, seems to go down well.

Administrator

seems to go down well.
    I wish i could say the same for the fish head curry ;D
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Hi Keith and gang,

I've just joined this forum, and have found the information here very helpful. My wife Elsa is hoping to file her VAF2003 in January sometime. However, having read the advice in this thread about being prepared, I am a little worried that when Elsas interview comes up, and they ask for "photo albums", will it be a problem if she only has about 8 pictures she can use of the 2 of us - in the 18 months we've been together we havent really taken many pictures. Also we tend to email everyday, and I will get plenty of those printed out ready, but we don't have many postal letters to show, apart from birthdays, christmas, etc.

Keep up the good work!

Btw Keith I read your from N. Wales, (I'm from Aberystwyth area), but sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but on my return trip from Philippines back to Manchester in September, I sat next to a filipina who is married to a guy named Keith from Bangor...was that you!?

Rob, thanks for your contribution, on the matter of

Evidence of Relationship..its a hard one because you may get away with a couple of photos, you might not, the point to stress here is the more evidence the better.

If you only have a couple of photos together, that maybe ok, who's to say it wont be ? we are just trying to say look.

The more evidence you have, it maans there is little or no grey area for establishing a relationship.

A quick photo shoot gives the impression of an arranged marriage...

You ought to have some albums, of the two of you together, you need letters lots of them, this is where you get caught out, ask keith, he had a sack full, ask me...I have tons of them, we both have...she has more than I do

Letters and lots of them, are a great way to establish a long relationship

Read my section on "Evidence of Relationship" in the Courting and Relationships section.

Best of luck

Administrator

Their is one word for 'proof or relationship' and that is 'overwhelm'! If they ask for it, include it, and more. If they don't ask for it, but you consider it proof, then include it. The more effort they see, the more happier they are ;D (see that is one smiling now :)

What would a scouser be doing in Manchester? Apart from the wire & semtex thingy 8) :o

I'm to good for public transport, all those common dirty folk. Give me a good clean Motorhead concert any day :P

I moved to Wales in '96, had enough of thieves and smackheads. Strange that when I moved, the old area quietened down :
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Banned

Hi all,

I'm Rob L as above, but I lost my username and password so I got a new one.

Anyway, just to let you know my asawa Elsa has her spouse visa interview at the British Embassy Manila on February 2nd. I'm flying out on a one-way :o with Gulf Air via Bahrain on Sunday 30th, and providing everything goes well at the interview, I'll be bringing her home about 2 weeks after.

Will keep the forum posted.

(For the £260 visa fee they better blinkin' well issue the visa
    8) )

Administrator

Strange, the wife's niece had hers for the 2nd Feb as well, but the embassy has put it back a month!

It's usually cheaper to buy two opened returns, than singles.
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Banned

Strange, the wife's niece had hers for the 2nd Feb as well, but the embassy has put it back a month!

It's usually cheaper to buy two opened returns, than singles.

Keith I tried looking for openended returns, but because Elsa is flying one-way from Philippines, it got very complicated and very expensive (and according to some airlines not possible for some "reasons"), so I got my one-way Gulf Air for just £250, and then I'll be buying 2 one-ways to return, probably flying back via Hong Kong, where VS/BA/CX only charge £200 one-way each. Ticket prices are of course much cheaper from outside the UK.

Administrator

Looks like I''l be back in Singapore for the Cup (big horse race) in May, and as SIA are also including a free stopover flight I may spend a few days in Thailand, or somewhere....or I may just want to get to Singapore ;D

Can't be bothered calling into Manilla for the day :
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Keith I tried looking for openended returns, but because Elsa is flying one-way from Philippines, it got very complicated and very expensive (and according to some airlines not possible for some "reasons"), so I got my one-way Gulf Air for just £250, and then I'll be buying 2 one-ways to return, probably flying back via Hong Kong, where VS/BA/CX only charge £200 one-way each. Ticket prices are of course much cheaper from outside the UK.

Rob,

If you're buying tickets in the Philippines, Cathy Pacific do a discounted fair for filipinas travelling to the UK for the first time for settlement - it's about a third of the price of a standard Manila - London cathay fair. I don't know any other airline that do this, singapore don't - and it's only available if you're buying in the philippines for emigrating filipinas (and I guess filipinos too).

Probably worth checking out if you're buying tickets home from there.

Good luck with the interview.

Banned

Rob,

Good luck with the interview.
    OK, Elsa had the interview yesterday. It seems she has the visa, but they will call her in 3 weeks. I think maybe it because they need to do some checks as her last passport was stolen. Whats a bit worrying is that the Embassy took away my bank statements and payslips and will not return them until the 3 weeks review is up. I don't know what the problem is, but Elsa told me that out of 50 who had visa interviews yesterday, 47 were refused/denied and only Elsa and 2 others were ok, but all told they would be contacted in 3 weeks. It must have been Black Wednesday!! Either that or Immigration are getting very strict and/or they ran out of visa quotas hmmm.

So now I gotta find a one-way back to cold wet United Kingdom alone. What joy. Its 36 today in Manila, the sun is shining......

I find that hard to beleive that 47 out of 50 were outright refused...seems a little odd...we have heard these stories before...and they tend to be over zealous. good luck with it..well as you say its back to UK.

Administrator

The wife's niece who got her's today said their were plenty of woman who's English husbands were downstairs, and came out the interview in tears, obviosuly refused.

I think this is more because the UK goverement keep changing the rules, and people can't keep up with what is required. On top of that, they probably have not done everything in the right order if they married in the Philippines.

They obviously never visited this site ;D
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Do we have any feedback for the reasons for refusal ? thats the problem its ok saying "They were refused" what we need is details of why such a visa was declined, in any event a written reasons have to be given for any refusal, and it has to be reviwed in 24 hours.

By a line Manager, or is this a case of the Embassy ECO's being deliberately obstructive, I wonder ..... Manila and Bangkok are paticiularly known for being obstructive.

Although I was told they are getting better, although according to Rockman his only took 15 minutes to be issued.

Its a shame we cant get any feedback from people who have been declined, in other words, what were the written reasons for refusal.

The only reasons should be either:

The ECO is not satisfied that the couple intend to live together as man and wife, or the applicant has not satisfied the ECO that they intend to settle as man and wife.

Or that they applicant may be a burden on public funds.

Or has not got adequate accomodation to live in.

I cant see any other reasons for refusal, if the paperwork is wrong regarding the marriage procedures in the Philippines I see no reason to refuse a visa, other than to get the applicant to reapply with the correct paperwork.

Hmmm we need some honest feedback from people.

I find that hard to beleive that 47 out of 50 were outright refused...seems a little odd...we have heard these stories before...and they tend to be over zealous. good luck with it..well as you say its back to UK.
    It would make sense if the 47 were for visit visas. They almost always get refused - I don't know why the British embassy even bothers with the illusion of offering one - they won't give it out to a filipino, unless they can prove they're so stinking rich that they wouldn't be living in the philippines unless they wanted to in the first place. Visit visas are a right scam there - happy to take the money, very reluctant to issue.

I spoke to others today, its more likely that the lots of english husbands one...was probably one or two...more likely the lots of tears...were only a few tears..and its likely that many who go with incorrect paperwork get refused because they have not taken the time to follow our web site here, and think cos they are Brits and they should get a visa no problem and its a simple process.

I would imagine that this is more likely to be the case, incorrect paperwork and lack of evidence of relationship, probably is the key.

Do we have any feedback for the reasons for refusal ? thats the problem its ok saying "They were refused" what we need is details of why such a visa was declined, in any event a written reasons have to be given for any refusal, and it has to be reviwed in 24 hours.

By a line Manager, or is this a case of the Embassy ECO's being deliberately obstructive, I wonder ..... Manila and Bangkok are paticiularly known for being obstructive.

Although I was told they are getting better, although according to Rockman his only took 15 minutes to be issued.

Its a shame we cant get any feedback from people who have been declined, in other words, what were the written reasons for refusal.

The only reasons should be either:

The ECO is not satisfied that the couple intend to live together as man and wife, or the applicant has not satisfied the ECO that they intend to settle as man and wife.

Or that they applicant may be a burden on public funds.

Or has not got adequate accomodation to live in.

I cant see any other reasons for refusal, if the paperwork is wrong regarding the marriage procedures in the Philippines I see no reason to refuse a visa, other than to get the applicant to reapply with the correct paperwork.

Hmmm we need some honest feedback from people.

Yes, I think ECOs are deliberately obstructive, especially in cases where the english guy has been living in England and the filipina in the philippines.

I am a lawyer in the uK - I have friends who are immigration lawyers and manila and bangkok embassies are known throughout the profession as being particularly obstructive and harsh and downright unpleasant. They have also told me that a good proportion of successful appeals are overturning ridiculously harsh decisions of manila and bangkok ECOs, more than other embassies. If there is the slightest reason they can find to refuse an application, they will. Not following the correct procedure in the philippines in terms of getting married will mean they will definitely refuse, even though they know it will most likely be overturned on appeal. Firstly, they know that appealing is ery time consuming and expensive for the applicant - if it's a genuine marriage, they reason that the couple will pursue it and if it's not, they'll just give up (a very harsh approach) and secondly, when their decisions are overturned, I was informed by a contact at the Manila embassy itself that they will then AUTOMATICALLY issue the visa, even though the ECO has the right of appeal against your appeal, and that they NEVER challenge a court overturning their decision - which must mean they know their decisions are so harsh that they expect them to be overturned.

For those who've been told to come back in three weeks, it's probably because the Embassy is making a direct check with the NSO for the filipina's marital history, to ensure there are no previous marriages lurking about. They know a lot of (poorer) filipinas marry someone when they're about 18 having got pregnant, then, as there's no divorce, marry a foriegner later to escape to a better life. In a country where education is so poor and prospects for improvement are about zero, and there is no divorce and anullment is financially out of reach for the average filipino, it seems a particularly harsh way of penalising the poorest and the less educated, who are nothing but victims of their own country's appalling education system.

Occasionally, a decent ECO slips through the net, or an application is so well presented that not even they can find a flaw - in which case, a visa gets issued pretty quickly. It does happen - sadly, the whole process is a lottery and it seems that equitable treatment is not on the agenda.

Applications are refused because of accommodation, finances, procedure flaws, previous marriages, lack of contact/evidence to prove a genuine relationship, all sorts. If they can find a flaw, they'll use it, sadly.

The British embassy in manila does not make one proud to be British. It makes one quite ashamed.

Administrator

Which is why we always say, supply more than they ask for, much more. It impresses them ;D You need to stand out from the normal folk.
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Administrator

Occasionally, a decent ECO slips through the net, or an application is so well presented that not even they can find a flaw
    Strange you mention that, in the case of our niece, the interviewer told her it was one of the best applications he'd ever come across. Hopefully thanks to me emailing full instructions in A, B, C on what to do.
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Administrator

I also get bored out of my skull telling Filipino's working in Singapore NOT to go home, as getting a visa in Singapore is relatively a quick and easy process.

But of course their are always those who know better!! :
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Yes - british embassies is modern countries have a markedly different attitude to applicants. It's quite racist, when you think about it.

Administrator

Isn't that Michael Howard's job??? ;D
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

hmmm reading all of this gives me the jitters, makes me wonder that when I go to marry Gina, will they be bloody minded and do an auto-refuse just to make us squirm to the Immigration appelatte authority, although my paperwork is s....hot...that is accounts..payslips..statements, photos, letters, you name it we have it.

On paper we should get the visa...but all of this makes me wonder hmmm

if you satisfy the rules..and then they become deliberately obsructive..cos they are told to be, it means a lack of access to equitable justice as Peter has said.

It also starts to give me the thought that is it probable, that some guys will actually have to live apart from their wife for long periods, due to being separated because of political considerations, regarding border controls.

When I visited the District Registry today, the appointment took some 15 minutes to complete, I was asked to show the following:

British Passport
    Birth Certificate
    Divorce Decree Absolute
    Bank Stateent

And provide the following details

Name of my intended
    Condition
    Location of Marriage
    Nationality
    Date of Brith

The fee is £30.00 and the CNI can be collected on the 22nd day.

Administrator

Doubt you'll have any problems Pete. I've seen people turn up in the UK embassy in Singapore with just the form, nothing else, and wonder why they are sent away.

I know not everyone is as intelligent as us, and the forms are complicated to some, but it is shown clearly what you need to provide.
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Thanks for that Keith, we had this conversation last night about that very subject, i also spoke with another english guy who is married to a Filipina for one year now, and we met at the Philippine Embassy last year, his comments were similar to yours, in that lots of guys just show up with a Form and the fee, and little or no evidence of anything else, and then the girl gets refused, and they wonder why, he said "If the paperwork is right" there is nothing to worry about, we are assuming of course tht everyone has either read "British marrying filipinos" or they have been on our site, our site is actually Keith the only one in the UK that actively helps British Nationals, I have trawled the net, and their is nothing else as good as ours, or as informative.

I think sometimes their is a tedency to assume that everyone else views the process as important as we do, and that they have meticulously prepared for it, this is of course is proving to be the reverse.

The information that is provided in the sections

Courting and Relationships "How to prepare for Evidence of Relationship"

And Documentation information, is very good ad probably the best source of information on the web today, and I know Keith you and I are both proud of what we have here on this Forum.

I know of many cases, where people have come here, taken the information and have been successful in their endeavours to obtain a visa, thats somethig we can all be proud of.

Administrator

Wonder if the British embassy in Manilla will let me advertise ;D

No harm in asking eh?
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

probably better Keith not to tell them anything about this, or next thing we know they will be complaining to the Home Office about us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information