Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody fancy doing a puzzle???

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    The hardest for me is Calculus
    Calculus is just as easy as any other branch of mathematics if you understand the concept, Penny.
    People have asked me before for help with Maths and English but it has been impractical.
    However, soon I hope to have my 'Online Teaching Website' open.

I have also been sitting here reading some of the comments about maths. Very sensible thoughts - especially about how maths is taught.

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Hi Prof Alan,
    I'm glad you're here... I thought you have the answer... Looking forward to that Sir Alan.
    BTW give my regards to Hannah..
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Calculus is just as easy as any other branch of mathematics if you understand the concept, Penny.
    People have asked me before for help with Maths and English but it has been impractical.

I have also been sitting here reading some of the comments about maths. Very sensible thoughts - especially about how maths is taught.

Al.
    What is the use in using algebra and pythagorous thereom? I'm 37, I didn't need it yet..

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe n Pilar View Post
    Hi Prof Alan,
    I'm glad you're here... I thought you have the answer... Looking forward to that Sir Alan.
    BTW give my regards to Hannah..
    Thank you Shelly. I shall pass your message on.

Al.

Hehe... I hate mind games lol...
    But I love chess

Eversince I've studied accountancy, I never ever trust my own calculation using my mind. I ALWAYS USE CALCULATOR, BECAUSE IT IS TOO RISKY TO COMMIT MISTAKE especially at work. Needs to be accurate all the time. Mistake is not an option hehe... But of course, lol "It's still you who's typing the numbers, but using calculators/spreadsheets is less errors made" hehe... (If you know what I mean)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    What is the use in using algebra and pythagorous thereom? I'm 37, I didn't need it yet..
    Hi Nigel. Glad to answer your questions.

Algebra can be used in most mathematical areas and there are literally thousands of jobs that use mathematics.

Pythagorus is used by such people as engineers, pilots and navigators, to name but a few.

More power to your hypoteneuse!!

Al.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    Hehe... I hate mind games lol...
    But I love chess

Eversince I've studied accountancy, I never ever trust my own calculation using my mind. I ALWAYS USE CALCULATOR, BECAUSE IT IS TOO RISKY TO COMMIT MISTAKE especially at work.
    LOL, tell me about it being in accounting myself as well, i'm too dependent on calculators, lol oh well
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Respected Member

Algebra can be used in most mathematical areas and there are literally thousands of jobs that use mathematics.

Pythagorus is used by such people as engineers, pilots and navigators, to name but a few.

Al.
    here comes the prof
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Banned
    Sorry the correct answer is 3,12 and 2... You have interchanged the numbers
    Did u say it must be in order? Anyway it's alright. I accept if answer is wrong for you. Just strange you said correct and now wrong ehehe what made u carefully check?

Just tell your Mom about her wrong belief about Math panic/ math anxiety. That will really help us. My sis, who is a teacher for 25 yrs always tell me that not because we have phobia in Math, English, Science and other subject means you are poor in that subject. That's also the views of math experts.

Al.

Sir,
    Calculus is confusing because of numbers and unknown symbols that makes me panic.

I will enrol to your website I also wish to refresh my Spanish course. Yo hablo un poco. Por favor señor y muchos gracias

Thanks for your comment!

3, 12, 2 is the correct answer. For the benefit of those who are still scratching their heads - it is the numbers from one to twelve arranged in alphabetical order.

Mr P&P
    I got correct answer!!!!

[SIZE="3"]So I'm still good in Math

I took Skills for Life course here and it's all about Math and English.
    My Math grade was 95
    Very impressive!!!

Looking forward to your answers to this latest quiz.

Thank you.
    Mr P&P
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

To Penny,

Thanks for the input but she already has passed away. I also have read about some students who has phobia, panicking, has their brain twisted or simply having headaches once solving Math problems are not that bad in that subject. They're still students and so therefore still learning. Not so sure if these are applied to Math tutors, Professional Mathematicians or Math teachers. As i've said in my post "how i wish i had followed her footsteps"... i'm not that good in Math

I'm impressed you got 95 in your Math subject!.... looking forward to your answers to the upcoming Math problem solving.

Best of luck.

Cheers!

Banned
    Did u say it must be in order? Anyway it's alright. I accept if answer is wrong for you. Just strange you said correct and now wrong ehehe what made u carefully check?

Just tell your Mom about her wrong belief about Math panic/ math anxiety. That will really help us. My sis, who is a teacher for 25 yrs always tell me that not because we have phobia in Math, English, Science and other subject means you are poor in that subject. That's also the views of math experts.
    As far as I can remember teacher from Kindergarten, Primary, Secondary, and Intermediate they always emphasize that in Math specially in solving problems the answer must be in ORDER and it's proper place. It's not in scramble order. So, I think there is one simple RULE in Math all the answers it MUST be in order all the time. Because if not, your answer will be wrong. Formula is a formula, and you can never scramble your answer or else everything is wrong.

Awwww panicking in Math!... I remember my mum said whenever she was given problems to solve in Math or anything that has to do with numbers she was so excited and so happy to give the answers, she never panics. She said once a person panics or is frightened by those problem solving or whatever abt Math then he/she is not that good in Math bec if he/she is good she will never panic!
    not that good in tagalog means hinde gaano magaling....I used the word panic bec she never did because she was a professional Mathematician. Perhaps some panics bec they are still learning (STUDENTS). How will an author of a Math book panics? If our professor/tutor/teacher in Math panics then what will happen? Pls enlighten me on this....

Just tell your Mom about her wrong belief about Math panic/ math anxiety.
    Even if your Math teacher won't tell you that answers should be in order it must be. SHOULD BE IN ORDER ALL THE TIME. You should know that as you got 95 in Math. I am not that good...
    So i made "double checking" on your answers.... and noticed it was interchanged...

Prof Alan had answered this... Now where's your answer to my post number 30?
    you must be good in Math!

Al.
    good answer Prof. Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    LOL, tell me about it being in accounting myself as well, i'm too dependent on calculators, lol oh well
    Yeah i remember during my Accounting subjects we're so dependent on calculators. Other subjects like quantitative math and Stats and during our high school days, subjects like , trigo..huh!.... I'm not that good really

Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    As far as I can remember teacher from Kindergarten, Primary, Secondary, and Intermediate they always emphasize that in Math specially in solving problems the answer must be in ORDER and it's proper place. It's not in scramble order. So, I think there is one simple RULES in Math all the answers it MUST be in order all the time. Because if not, your answer will be wrong. Formula is a formula, and you can never scramble your answer or else everything is wrong.
    Thanks for your reply Ma'm Charlwill....I definitely agree...
    Not scramble as in "chopsuey and halo-halo"also used in tagalog expressions...

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    The answer you are probably after is 3, 12, 2 though it could be 3, 13, 12 instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post

it took me 5 seconds before i gave in!

come on,whats the answer??
    Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    my answer is 12, 9, 8 or could be 10, 9, 8

I'm sure 2nd and third numbers are 9 and 8.

Hope i got it right!
    Quote Originally Posted by aryM View Post
    my answer is 2, 9, 8 not sure yet.,will analyze more.lol
    8 + 11 = 19 + 5 + 4 = Nigels cr*p at maths!
    Thank you for your replies. It's ok if you didn't get it right. Pls do try to answer the next upcoming quizzes...
    To darren-b you got it right but you just have to choose one answer.
    Thanks.

Best of luck to all of you

Banned
    Very impressive!!!

Looking forward to your answers to this latest quiz.

Thank you.
    Mr P&P
    Wow I had only one reply and got three replies from you

Pag di po ako pinag-iinitan ng teacher babalik po ako sa eskuwela

To Penny,

I'm impressed you got 95 in your Math subject!.... looking forward to your answers to the upcoming Math problem solving.

Cheers!
    Hmmm Am I a teacher's pet here? I don't want to comeback to school Mam, I don't really like my classmates

not that good in tagalog means hinde gaano magaling....I used the word panic bec she never did because she was a professional Mathematician. Perhaps some panics bec they are still learning (STUDENTS). How will an author of a Math book panics? If our professor/tutor/teacher in Math panics then what will happen? Pls enlighten me on this....

Even if your Math teacher won't tell you that answers should be in order it must be. SHOULD BE IN ORDER ALL THE TIME. You should know that as you got 95 in Math. I am not that good...
    So i made "double checking" on your answers.... and noticed it was interchanged...

Had already explained about panics in my past post to your thread.

Banned
    Thanks for your reply Ma'm Charlwill....I definitely agree...
    Not scramble as in "chopsuey and halo-halo"also used in tagalog expressions...
    Hmmm sounds food again and cooking Hoping your math subject will not turn into Home Economics. Is that the right terms?

Banned
    Hmmm Am I a teacher's pet here? I don't want to comeback to school Mam, I don't really like my classmates.

Pag di po ako pinag-iinitan ng teacher babalik po ako sa eskuwela.

Wow I had only one reply and got three replies from you

Pag di po ako pinag-iinitan ng teacher babalik po ako sa eskuwela

Hmmm Am I a teacher's pet here? I don't want to comeback to school Mam, I don't really like my classmates

Had already explained about panics in my past post to your thread.

So much of diverting the topic Ms Penny. I'm looking forward to your answer to post # 30. You're really good in Math, no doubt about it you got 95!!!....

Cheers!

Banned
    You guys are obviously too good at the basic maths puzzles. Hope this one will keep you busy for a bit longer.

Here is the problem.

•You are in a room with 10 cases, each containing 20 metal bars.
    •Nine of the cases contain bars of worthless base metal that looks like gold and one case contains bars of solid gold.
    •You know that each bar of base metal weighs exactly 1 pound and each gold bar weighs one pound and one ounce.
    •There is an electronic scale in the room, but it can only be used once and will flash the weight for only 5 seconds.
    •You have no other equipment.
    •You may leave the room with one case, which is yours to keep.
    •How do you pick the right case?

Remember, you are looking for a mathematical solution so no questions please about whether the bars are painted, or feel different, or if there is a way to use the scales more than once, etc.

Good luck.

Mr P&P
    NOSEBLEED!!!! lol... i'm soooo glad I took Comm Arts.. less Math (just Algebra and Trigo) and no Calculus (thank God!)

Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    As far as I can remember teacher from Kindergarten, Primary, Secondary, and Intermediate they always emphasize that in Math specially in solving problems the answer must be in ORDER and it's proper place. It's not in scramble order. So, I think there is one simple RULE in Math all the answers it MUST be in order all the time. Because if not, your answer will be wrong. Formula is a formula, and you can never scramble your answer or else everything is wrong.
    Definitely agree with you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    NOSEBLEED!!!! lol... i'm soooo glad I took Comm Arts.. less Math (just Algebra and Trigo) and no Calculus (thank God!)
    Hehehe... NOSEBLEEEEEEDDDD NGA HEHEHE... sino kaya Math genius dito to answer that?

Smile

OK - as a maths teacher myself, I have read this thread with much interest.

Please allow me these comments - and these are my personal opinions based on experience - so, I am not saying that the following comments are 'globally acceptable' ones.

Firstly, mathematics is the ONLY purely LOGICAL science in the world. Even physics has a 'what if' syndrome to it - for example - 'what if we could travel in time?'

Secondly, the whole 'language' of mathematics revolves around the manipulation of JUST 10 DIGITS!!! How easy can that be??

Thirdly, children, adolescents and adults are 'afraid' of mathematics simply because of the way they have been taught!!! I once heard at a conference the epithet: 'There are an awful lot of maths teachers out there, and there are a lot of awful maths teachers out there.'

The above, in my opinion, is SOOOO true!!!! I have seen teachers, when I have been observing, who have made me cringe when they try to explain mathematical concepts to students!!!!!

Fourthly, to relate to comments made on this thread, please believe me on this - 'YOU MUST DO MATHS IN THE RIGHT ORDER OTHERWISE IT WILL BE WRONG' NO - I'm sorry, this is not correct! Comments like this (remember, in my opinion,) eminate from BAD maths teachers. Mathematics is not about the 'what' - it is about the 'HOW!'
    When you understand HOW things work in mathematics, it does not matter in what order you calculate - IN FACT - if you understand the 'how' you have more or less done the calculation anyway.

I admit that, however, ONLY SOME of the time, the order is important - but only in a 'logical'sense.

Perhaps I am confusing some of you here. It would, of course, take me infinitely longer than this small post to fully expound my comments - I LOVE teaching mathematics, because it allows me to show people how badly they have been taught in the past - and consequently why they 'fear' mathematics.

Please don't misunderstand this post. I am NOT saying that I know all the answers or that I am a brilliant maths teacher. I am simply saying that I believe that a lot of so-called maths teachers have a lot to answer for - for assuming that their students know what the hell they are talking about.

ANY TEACHER in ANY SUBJECT must consider the student first and foremost. Sadly, this is not the truth!!

Al.

OK - as a maths teacher myself, I have read this thread with much interest.

Please allow me these comments - and these are my personal opinions based on experience - so, I am not saying that the following comments are 'globally acceptable' ones.

Fourthly, to relate to comments made on this thread, please believe me on this - 'YOU MUST DO MATHS IN THE RIGHT ORDER OTHERWISE IT WILL BE WRONG' NO - I'm sorry, this is not correct! Comments like this (remember, in my opinion,) eminate from BAD maths teachers. Mathematics is not about the 'what' - it is about the 'HOW!'
    When you understand HOW things work in mathematics, it does not matter in what order you calculate - IN FACT - if you understand the 'how' you have more or less done the calculation anyway.

I admit that, however, ONLY SOME of the time, the order is important - but only in a 'logical'sense.

Al.

Hi Sir:

Think you mind find this interesting:
    http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/v...perations.html
    Based from the problem that:
    "It seems that each student interpreted the problem differently, resulting in two different answers.
    Student 1 performed the operation of addition first, then multiplication; whereas
    student 2 performed multiplication first, then addition.

When performing arithmetic operations there can be only one correct answer. We need a set of rules in order to avoid this kind of confusion. Mathematicians have devised a standard order of operations for calculations involving more than one arithmetic operation."

---------

Therefore, if not properly done and rules were not followed, there will be different answers given to a problem.

Also it has been said that:
    "Mathematics is the exact science of mathematical reasoning and related aspects of mathematical practice.

Math has the advantage of being irrefutable."

Smile

Exactly!!!!

When you present the student with:

3 + 4 x 2

the student must know the HOW!!!

And knowing the how, the student will say 3 + 8 - OR 8 + 3.

The confusion here stems from the PRESENTATION of the problem - an unnecessary stupefication of logicality.

Al.

3 + (4 x 2) = 3 + 8 = 11

(3 + 4) x 2 = 7 x 2 = 14

So if there's confusion on understanding the instruction given by the teacher (especially if the problem is stated verbally and not written) then the student will arrive at a wrong answer.

The first puzzle was asking for 3 numbers which should be arranged in alphabetical order because the solution states that they are arranged in alphabetical. The 'correct' answer, therefore, should be in that order as well.

The inputs given here are appreciated. Thank you. We are posting puzzles to solve, pls give your answers, no matter how you solve them, it's your choice how you do it, just give the answers and your logic.

The intention was to entertain not to start a war about mathematics. However, despite what some have said it is not always an 'exact' science. There are numerous paradoxes and how can any science be exact when the value of an important constant such as Pi has never been evaluated to 100% accuracy.

And as regards those who say they never use algebra or calculus they actually use them every day. Every time they calculate the length of a piece of wood required to fill a gap or how much to charge for a product to make a specific profit, that is basically algebra. And everytime they work out how many tiles are required to fill an irregular shape such as an oval they are actually using integral calculus (just without the formula).

I could discuss mathematics all day, but I'd rather someone just tried to solve the puzzles.

Thank you.
    Mr P&P

Banned
    So much of diverting the topic Ms Penny. I'm looking forward to your answer to post # 30. You're really good in Math, no doubt about it you got 95!!!....

Cheers!
    Lol! Sounds like you're insulting me everytime you mentioned my 95 grade in Math. It's also sounds you're forcing me to answer that #30. What will gonna happen if I will not answer that question? How if I answered it right?

Can I just say I can't answer this questions to make other girls happy and have harmonous in this thread? I don't want to see black letters turn into RED ehehhehe. That means angry?

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=16015&page=3 post#80

Or it is much better to challenge all accountants here to show our transcript of Records and result of Certified Public Accountant Board Exam?

Anyway I'm almost late with my work so I'll answer it even not yet complete . Making money is more important to me.

If you have 10 cases/box, put letters to boxes/cases - Box A Box B Box C... Box J or any mark that will suits you so you will not be confused

Take bars from each box (box a to Box J)

You can put all together in a scale and get the measurement and deduct the all the 1 pd 1 ounce (Gold weight). It will give you an answer.

To be continued

[I][B]
    Sorry, I cannot believe you on this. Would rather believe now with more highly professional.

OK

Al.
    I agree with your opinion Sir because when I answered that math question, It's just like find the missing numbers for me. So I put the missing numbers in it's place.

But to make other girls happy, I will accept my answer was wrong although it was not explained how my answer became wrong in my own satisfaction.

Banned
    Oh.. this is my post!!! hehehe... thanks for quoting it... glad to know this was noticed...

What are the next three numbers in the following sequence:

8, 11, 5, 4, 9, 1, 7, 6, 10…
    There is a definite relationship between the numbers….but what is it?

To Illustrate:

8 11 5 4 9 1 7 6 10

EIGHT ELEVEN FIVE FOUR NINE ONE SEVEN SIX TEN

CORRECT ANSWERS:

3 12 2

THREE TWELVE TWO

Now if the answer is : 12, 3, 2 then it is wrong because

TWELVE THREE TWO - is not arranged alphabetical anymore.

TWE TH TWO

8 11 5 4 9 1 7 6 10
    Thanks for this weeks Lotto numbers
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Thanks for this weeks Lotto numbers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information