Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody fancy doing a puzzle???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post

Anyway I'm almost late with my work so I'll answer it even not yet complete . Making money is more important to me.

If you have 10 cases/box, put letters to boxes/cases - Box A Box B Box C... Box J or any mark that will suits you so you will not be confused

Take bars from each box (box a to Box J)

You can put all together in a scale and get the measurement and deduct the all the 1 pd 1 ounce (Gold weight). It will give you an answer.

To be continued
    Are you not gonna bring your husband also to help you answer the question friendship

I am not good in math, but my business is always adding % in capital

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe n Pilar View Post
    You guys are obviously too good at the basic maths puzzles. Hope this one will keep you busy for a bit longer.

Here is the problem.

•You are in a room with 10 cases, each containing 20 metal bars.
    •Nine of the cases contain bars of worthless base metal that looks like gold and one case contains bars of solid gold.
    •You know that each bar of base metal weighs exactly 1 pound and each gold bar weighs one pound and one ounce.
    •There is an electronic scale in the room, but it can only be used once and will flash the weight for only 5 seconds.
    •You have no other equipment.
    •You may leave the room with one case, which is yours to keep.
    •How do you pick the right case?

Remember, you are looking for a mathematical solution so no questions please about whether the bars are painted, or feel different, or if there is a way to use the scales more than once, etc.

Good luck.

Mr P&P
    I will try my very best to answer the puzzle. Hhmmm.

Here is the solution.

1. Lay the boxes out on the floor in order from 1 to 10

2. Take one bar from box 1, 2 bars from box 2, 3 bars from box 3, etc. all the way up to 10 bars from box 10 (55 bars in total)

3. Place all these bars on the scale and press the button to get the total weight.

4.If the total weight shown is 55 lbs and 1 oz, the gold bars are in box 1 (as there is only one bar on the scale that weighs 1 ib and 1 oz)

If the total weight shown is 55 lbs and 2 oz, the gold bars are in box 2 (as there are two bars on the scale that weigh 1 ib and 1 oz)

If the total weight shown is 55 lbs and 3 oz, the gold bars are in box 3 (as there are three bars on the scale that weigh 1 ib and 1 oz)
    etc.

In that way you have the idea which case to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    I will try my very best to answer the puzzle. Hhmmm.

Here is the solution.

1. Lay the boxes out on the floor in order from 1 to 10

2. Take one bar from box 1, 2 bars from box 2, 3 bars from box 3, etc. all the way up to 10 bars from box 10 (55 bars in total)

3. Place all these bars on the scale and press the button to get the total weight.

4.If the total weight shown is 55 lbs and 1 oz, the gold bars are in box 1 (as there is only one bar on the scale that weighs 1 ib and 1 oz)

If the total weight shown is 55 lbs and 2 oz, the gold bars are in box 2 (as there are two bars on the scale that weigh 1 ib and 1 oz)

If the total weight shown is 55 lbs and 3 oz, the gold bars are in box 3 (as there are three bars on the scale that weigh 1 ib and 1 oz)
    etc.

In that way you have the idea which case to keep.
    Well done Charlwill!... More puzzles to come....
    Enjoy !....

Thank you.
    Mr P&P

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe n Pilar View Post
    You guys are obviously too good at the basic maths puzzles. Hope this one will keep you busy for a bit longer.

Here is the problem.

•You are in a room with 10 cases, each containing 20 metal bars.
    •Nine of the cases contain bars of worthless base metal that looks like gold and one case contains bars of solid gold.
    •You know that each bar of base metal weighs exactly 1 pound and each gold bar weighs one pound and one ounce.
    •There is an electronic scale in the room, but it can only be used once and will flash the weight for only 5 seconds.
    •You have no other equipment.
    •You may leave the room with one case, which is yours to keep.
    •How do you pick the right case?

Remember, you are looking for a mathematical solution so no questions please about whether the bars are painted, or feel different, or if there is a way to use the scales more than once, etc.

Good luck.

Mr P&P
    See you imperial oldies! We are metric now so I had to check up!

If X = 1 pound thats 16 oz (because 16 oz in 1 pounds)
    Y= 1.1 pound thats 17 oz

1 case of metal= 20 x 16= 320 oz /16= 20 pounds
    1 case of gold =20 x 17 = 340 oz/16 = 21.25 pounds (or 21lbs 4oz)

I would organise the boxes in a row. then take 1 bar out of each boxes and weigh individually as quick as possible!? But i am thinking you cannot do that in 5 seconds..

You take any bar out of a box and put on scale and keep looking for a 1.1 on the scale! But if u did not have time.
    It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum.

Quote Originally Posted by gary2jessica View Post
    See you imperial oldies! We are metric now so I had to check up!

If X = 1 pound thats 16 oz (because 16 oz in 1 pounds)
    Y= 1.1 pound thats 17 oz

1 case of metal= 20 x 16= 320 oz /16= 20 pounds
    1 case of gold =20 x 17 = 340 oz/16 = 21.25 pounds (or 21lbs 4oz)

I would organise the boxes in a row. then take 1 bar out of each boxes and weigh individually as quick as possible!? But i am thinking you cannot do that in 5 seconds..

You take any bar out of a box and put on scale and keep looking for a 1.1 on the scale! But if u did not have time.
    You are definitely on the right lines, but you are correct when you say you wouldn't have time. Just need to think outside the box a tiny bit more.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Banned
    Whoever gave me negative rep points on this thread, I hope you're happy now in abusing rep points of our forum. I wish you will look beautiful now as you made something bad against others and you're satisfied and happy for doing such. If that is the thing that will make you happy like doing bad things to others, I am willing to give you all my rep points to make you feel happy and beautiful. Is that makes sense?

I really understands people suffering from distresses.

Goodluck to your mission to our forum. I know we're 2 members who got neg rep from you.

I am not angry as I don't want to be ugly Betty like.

Still smiling

By the way thanks to Sir Alan for giving me rep points on this thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Whoever gave me negative rep points on this thread, I hope you're happy now in abusing rep points of our forum. I wish you will look beautiful now as you made something bad against others and you're satisfied and happy for doing such. If that is the thing that will make you happy like doing bad things to others, I am willing to give you all my rep points to make you feel happy and beautiful. Is that makes sense?

I really understands people suffering from distresses.

Goodluck to your mission to our forum. I know we're 2 members who got neg rep from you.

I am not angry as I don't want to be ugly Betty like.

Still smiling

By the way thanks to Sir Alan for giving me rep points on this thread.
    No worry friendship, I just want to let (name) know that Keith know who did it lolz, alright maybe you beat the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    No worry friendship, I just want to let (name) know that Keith know who did it lolz, alright maybe you beat the answer
    I sign mine as I'm stupid!
    Keith - Administrator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information