Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Filipino's Smile So Much? :-)

Why Do Filipino's Smile So Much? :-)

As a Brit guy I can tell you that the Filipino smile is really something to witness, you haven't lived if you haven't seen the Filipino smile! But why do Filipino's smile so much?

I've noticed that children are incredibly well behaved in Philippines, I think maybe the way Filipina's smile at their children may have something to do with it?

Thoughts?

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Filipina smile comes from within the heart..Its rooted in our culture , taught by parents to greet at first by a "smile" . That's why we have this ' Filipino Hospitality"

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    i smile a lot coz i have nothing else better to do
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

because smile makes you young..actually there is a social meaning in Filipino smile.

...it keeps us from giving up, makes us prevail.

... smile is an expression of strength in the face of frustrations and hopelessness. But it’s not just muscles flexed in the mouth. And not necessarily an expression of happiness. But it could mean to say that, jointly with the one you’re smiling at, you’d bear it out with him.

A smile could mean, “It’s all right, don’t worry.”

Or “I’m so sorry….” in an apology. (Smile)

Or “Gosh!” shyly. (Smile)

Banned
    Because we are friendly , happy people or maybe I just dont have so much problem aside from missing Jed soooooooooooooo much

Smiling is an important form of social grace for us Filipinos. Being generally friendly and hospitable are the traits that we were born with...and most importantly, we've got irresistible and killer smiles. cant help that! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by eagles View Post
    Filipina smile comes from within the heart..Its rooted in our culture , taught by parents to greet at first by a "smile" . That's why we have this ' Filipino Hospitality"
    I found Filipino's are very warm accomodating people when I was out there, it's quite something to have an exotic Filipina smile at you!

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    i smile a lot coz i have nothing else better to do
    Eh? Nothing better to do?

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

just want to say 'SMILE IS THE BEST MEDICINE'it makes u younger

Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
    because smile makes you young..actually there is a social meaning in Filipino smile.

... smile is an expression of strength in the face of frustrations and hopelessness. But it’s not just muscles flexed in the mouth. And not necessarily an expression of happiness. But it could mean to say that, jointly with the one you’re smiling at, you’d bear it out with him.

I agree! I also think that a smile is an important thing for bonding with people, to keep a good, close relationship...it shows we are friendly, we are cooperating, we mean no harm.

A thing that interests me very much is that Filipina's are very good at raising children, they seem to know something we don't!

I think children or babies might need a lot of reassurance, a feeling that they are in a safe environment in order for them to grow into balanced people.

What could be more reassuring than have your mother smile at you?

Have I stumbled upon something fascinating? Or am I just being daft?

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    Because we are friendly , happy people or maybe I just dont have so much problem aside from missing Jed soooooooooooooo much
    I agree of course, but why are Filipino's so happy? What am I missing?

I can only guess that the Filipino happiness comes from having close relationships, and a strong faith in God also? But this is only me guessing of course!

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

Banned
    When I was in my primary grades, I always read mottos at the upper side of the chart. SMILE AND THE WORLD WILL SMILE AT YOU. I even learned that smile can makes you feel looks younger and feel younger and thats 100% true. I grew up always smiling and I'm sure it came from the bottom of my heart with sincerity. If I laugh/crackles, the neighbors will surely hears me.

Suprano and Alto cracklings with accent Ahahahha, ehehehhe, hakhakhak, and bwahahah.

As a whole, Filipinas smile:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sunst...filipino-smile

Quote Originally Posted by NtoN View Post
    Smiling is an important form of social grace for us Filipinos. Being generally friendly and hospitable are the traits that we were born with...and most importantly, we've got irresistible and killer smiles. cant help that! LOL
    I agree, so when you are brought up, you are actually taught to smile, smiling is a Filipino etiquette? I think maybe the Philippines flag should have a smiley in the middle of it!

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

we smile because we like showing off our teeth that we brushed twice or three times a day.
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    I agree, so when you are brought up, you are actually taught to smile, smiling is a Filipino etiquette? I think maybe the Philippines flag should have a smiley in the middle of it!
    with colgate toothpaste in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana_may365 View Post
    just want to say 'SMILE IS THE BEST MEDICINE'it makes u younger
    I also believe that happiness and laughter can heal anything!

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

maybe its not nly being a filipino, maybe it has something to do with hte genes..

People here, despite of poverty, living in shanties, in time of disaster even those people in the streets, theyre not afford only to smile. but more so to laugh from time to time

Can't explain why, but the only thing definite with Filipinos having this awesome or amazing attitude, we don't get depressed so easily, so no suicidal attempt in our minds in a split second of life's challenges.

I guess I would say that we're that shallow..for we don't dwell so much on material things..more for the family instead..

So whether we don't enjoy luxury in life so much as long as family is intact, we're still happy.

we starve together, we laugh together.."humm..kinda"
    "Honesty is probably the sexiest and the priceless thing man can give a woman"

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    When I was in my primary grades, I always read mottos at the upper side of the chart. SMILE AND THE WORLD WILL SMILE AT YOU. I even learned that smile can makes you feel looks younger and feel younger and thats 100% true. I grew up always smiling and I'm sure it came from the bottom of my heart with sincerity. If I laugh/crackles, the neighbors will surely hears me.

Suprano and Alto cracklings with accent Ahahahha, ehehehhe, hakhakhak, and bwahahah.

As a whole, Filipinas smile:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sunst...filipino-smile
    Hahahahaha you made me laugh so much with what you said there especially I like that hakhakhak thing, I sometimes laugh like that and sometimes I laugh like a monkey when I laugh so hard "ooh ooh ooh he he hee hee hoo hoo haa haa!" My neighbours are thinking "Have they got a chimpanzee next door or something?"

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

Banned
    Hahahahaha you made me laugh so much with what you said there especially I like that hakhakhak thing, I sometimes laugh like that and sometimes I laugh like a monkey when I laugh so hard "ooh ooh ooh he he hee hee hoo hoo haa haa!" My neighbours are thinking "Have they got a chimpanzee next door or something?"

I know you have good sense of humor Nigel. Who knows someday I hear someone cracklings out there:
    "ooh ooh ooh he he hee hee hoo hoo haa haa!" So I will ask , Is that you Nigel if you said yes, I will crackles for sure. HAKHAKHAKHAK

aHAHAHhahha ahakhakhak

Quote Originally Posted by mommyhere View Post
    maybe its not nly being a filipino, maybe it has something to do with hte genes..

People here, despite of poverty, living in shanties, in time of disaster even those people in the streets, theyre not afford only to smile. but more so to laugh from time to time

Can't explain why, but the only thing definite with Filipinos having this awesome or amazing attitude, we don't get depressed so easily, so no suicidal attempt in our minds in a split second of life's challenges.

I guess I would say that we're that shallow..for we don't dwell so much on material things..more for the family instead..

So whether we don't enjoy luxury in life so much as long as family is intact, we're still happy.

we starve together, we laugh together.."humm..kinda"
    I have thought that the Filipino smile has maybe got something to do with genetics...because the ability for Filipino's to smile through it all is so magnificent...it's a most astonishing thing for me...

Filipino's often express that family is important, when it comes to caring for children and the elderly, maybe Filipino's are the experts!

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Daddy View Post
    we smile because we like showing off our teeth that we brushed twice or three times a day.
    When I asked my Vimvie why Filipino's smile so much, she said "So you can see we don't need a dentist!"

Hey that's not really why!

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

I also believe that happiness and laughter can heal anything!
    why aye!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana_may365 View Post
    why aye!
    yep so they say laughter is the best medicine

Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post

Respected Member
    As a Brit guy I can tell you that the Filipino smile is really something to witness, you haven't lived if you haven't seen the Filipino smile! But why do Filipino's smile so much?
    Thoughts?
    I suppose it is something inherent to filipinas.....the culture and family values may have something or a lot to do with it, as we are brought up that way....
    And it's part of the filipino custom and norm to be friendly, polite, warm and hospitable people......
    And initially, a smile is an essential part to achieve all that.......

after all, a smile is always contageous, you smile to other people and you get a smile back
    and what better way to start and end your day than with a smile

A smile can also be a manifestation of strength, that even in the midst of hardships, filipinos can still put on a smile.....it's a positive coping mechanism...
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    I suppose it is something inherent to filipinas.....the culture and family values may have something or a lot to do with it, as we are brought up that way....
    And it's part of the filipino custom and norm to be friendly, polite, warm and hospitable people......
    And initially, a smile is an essential part to achieve all that.......

after all, a smile is always contageous, you smile to other people and you get a smile back
    and what better way to start and end your day than with a smile

A smile can also be a manifestation of strength, that even in the midst of hardships, filipinos can still put on a smile.....it's a positive coping mechanism...
    I read on a website somewhere that Filipino's smile at you almost all of the time, when they are disapointed they will smile at you, when they are angry they will smile at you, it seems to me that all this smiling is maybe the reason that children are so well behaved in Philippines...

6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane

Respected Member
    I read on a website somewhere that Filipino's smile at you almost all of the time, when they are disapointed they will smile at you, when they are angry they will smile at you, it seems to me that all this smiling is maybe the reason that children are so well behaved in Philippines...
    Yeah, i agree nigel, smile is practically a filipino's way of life, both in good and unpleasant times.....
    Besides, frowning doesn't make any bad situation better, oftentimes it makes the situation worst...
    So indeed, it's the best coping mechanism

As with children, yeah most kids there are well behaved, wait till you meet a grumpy and naughty one, lol....
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Smile

S M I L E!!!! Filipinos just L0VE to smile a lot. When you're in the Philippines and you smile at someone, he would smile back at you.

That's what Filipinos are....smiling

Reasons:
    They are courteous and respectful.
    They love life.
    They laugh at their mistakes, on silly things or even misfortunes.
    They are just genuinely happy people.

all i can say FILIPINO born being happy.

nigel,can you make your signature any bigger?

my wife smiles because she as my wallet and gives me pocket money
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information