Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype

A lot of folk on here talk to each other on the phone. If all those folk who obviosuly have a computer (otherwise you wouldn't be reading this ), installed Skype and a cheap headset/microphone, it would cost NOTHING for charges

We've just bought this http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...ey=0&InMerch=1 , normal phone, and Skype.....very nice as well. It must be, the wife hasn't switched it off for 3 days

If folk use Skype, PM your usernames between each other, don't publish them on here.

Remember, Skype to Skype anywhere in the world is FREE

I only noticed the other day, they also do text messages for 5p
    Keith - Administrator

Text via Skype....to Philippines 3.7p.....HK 3.5p.......dearer from the UK to UK.....nothing new there then
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Text via Skype....to Philippines 3.7p.....HK 3.5p.......dearer from the UK to UK.....nothing new there then
    Great idea Keith, but it relies on the broadband connection, and I don't know if you've got the same problem, but after 4pm till midnight most evenings, we have dial-up speeds, which renders skype useless, unless you like doing stuttering Dalek impressions

On a more serious note, anyone else getting seriously slow speeds with their broadband in th evening and weekends? I'm beginning to wonder if its my ISP.

It's the contention on your ISP Rob. If you want faster, you need to ask if they can upgrade you from 50:1 to 20:1, although it will cost more. You get what you pay for.

You could switch to Talk Talk, although the chances of them having done your exchange is 0:0 (they do allow 30GB's download a month, unlike BT, Tiscali, who cheap tariffs allow 5GB's at most on Fair Usage).
    Keith - Administrator

It's the contention on your ISP Rob. If you want faster, you need to ask if they can upgrade you from 50:1 to 20:1, although it will cost more. You get what you pay for.

You could switch to Talk Talk, although the chances of them having done your exchange is 0:0 (they do allow 30GB's download a month, unlike BT, Tiscali, who cheap tariffs allow 5GB's at most on Fair Usage).
    been using skype 3 yrs ago and keep crashing my pc...so i stopped...y is that? and need VOIP phone which i dont have right now...in PI.
    insanity- doing the same thing over and over again,expecting a different outcome...

okeiz...just noticed there's a VOIP phone link there...lol...
    insanity- doing the same thing over and over again,expecting a different outcome...

I think the Skype software has moved on since 3 yrs ago
    Keith - Administrator

you can send an sms using chikka for free!

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako View Post
    you can send an sms using chikka for free!
    ...and they do what exactly with all these mobiles numbers they get?
    Keith - Administrator

...and they do what exactly with all these mobiles numbers they get?
    well it's just one peso to send an sms back.. am i missing something?

If the sms replies go to your skype email account? then just use gprs so you can send/recieve emails. (even davao has gprs)

I dont understand

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    Great idea Keith, but it relies on the broadband connection, and I don't know if you've got the same problem, but after 4pm till midnight most evenings, we have dial-up speeds, which renders skype useless, unless you like doing stuttering Dalek impressions

On a more serious note, anyone else getting seriously slow speeds with their broadband in th evening and weekends? I'm beginning to wonder if its my ISP.
    If i were you Rob i would be kicking up a huge fuss, do others on your exchange get the same problem?

Sounds like someone is using more than there far share of the bandwith avaiable and bt or whoever might be intrested.

Rob, night time is like Internet rush hour, so if you supposed speed is 2MB/s, then you'll probably average 1.2 MB/s. As you are on 50:1 as is 99%+ of the country, if everyone downloads at that time, speeds can be slower than dial up, as the 50:1 shared line has a set bandwidth. Which is why I use 20:1

You can get 1:1, but this is around £200 a month, but it is all yours.....
    Keith - Administrator

well it's just one peso to send an sms back.. am i missing something?

If the sms replies go to your skype email account? then just use gprs so you can send/recieve emails. (even davao has gprs)

I dont understand
    Mosty companies that do things on the cheap with SMS make their revenue by selling on mobile numbers to Telemarketers around the world, as they have to pay the individual telcoms they use, the same as everyone else for using bandwidth.

I prefer to pay a bit extra in order to know my number is secure, but that is my choice.

When you hear someone say, I keep getting marketing calls on my mobile, how the hell did they get my number? That will be because of the service Baboyako used, passing her friends private numbers onto the world telemarketing database.

If you SMS with Skype, the reply goes to my mobile.
    Keith - Administrator

This is in Chikka's T&C so as I said, they have to pay for bandwidth, and they can do that anyway they wish, upfront, or hidden. All Chikka does is take out the FROM bandwidth charge, as does Skype, and similar PC services. But the arrival bandwidth still has to be paid for by someone, and I doubt Chikka are a chartiy.

Charge for Use. The personal computer to mobile aspect, the mobile to personal computer aspect and the mobile to mobile aspect of the Chikka Services shall be subject to the customary tariffs imposed and charged by the mobile carrier involved on each of the respective aspect.
    Keith - Administrator

Sussed it

They make money from the people you text as one source of revenue.

Charge for Use. The personal computer to mobile aspect, the mobile to personal computer aspect and the mobile to mobile aspect of the Chikka Services shall be subject to the customary tariffs imposed and charged by the mobile carrier involved on each of the respective aspect.

-----------------------

Chikka and its affiliate companies = Telemarketing

-----------------------

Still, it is up to the individual how they wish to save money, but I prefer the folk in the Phil to only be charged 1 peso for an SMS, and know there mobile numbers are privatr, while I have the money to easily afford 5p.

Here's the info on the corporate model http://newsbreak.com.ph/newsbreak/story.asp?ID=768
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Rob, night time is like Internet rush hour, so if you supposed speed is 2MB/s, then you'll probably average 1.2 MB/s. As you are on 50:1 as is 99%+ of the country, if everyone downloads at that time, speeds can be slower than dial up, as the 50:1 shared line has a set bandwidth. Which is why I use 20:1

You can get 1:1, but this is around £200 a month, but it is all yours.....
    £200

My isp, Virgin don't do lower contention rates than 50:1, but looking around, Demon have a 20:1 Home office package for £26.99. Only problem is I gotta give 50 notes to Virgin to "please release me, let me go"

We would love broadband but we are over 4 miles from the local exchange. BT say on their website that the best we can hope for is 288 kbps. Any advice other than moving house?

I'm sure lots of people in our area would love to get broadband. How do we get BT to accomodate us?

Sussed it

Still, it is up to the individual how they wish to save money, but I prefer the folk in the Phil to only be charged 1 peso for an SMS, and know there mobile numbers are privatr, while I have the money to easily afford 5p.

Here's the info on the corporate model http://newsbreak.com.ph/newsbreak/story.asp?ID=768
    I don't think thats quite how it works. if you register your roaming PI phone, then its only 1 peso - they also have computer accounts, which may well be 2.5pesos.

Going a bit off topic, the skype wifi (mobile) phones seem like they can put vodafone out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by equaliser View Post
    We would love broadband but we are over 4 miles from the local exchange. BT say on their website that the best we can hope for is 288 kbps. Any advice other than moving house?

I'm sure lots of people in our area would love to get broadband. How do we get BT to accomodate us?
    I doubt it would be that low, as the new MaxDSL they all now use go up to 5 miles, so my guess is BT haven't a clue what they are talking about & 288 kb/s is still X5 the speed of dialup & worth the money.

Rob lives next to the exchange and get 0.27 kb/s
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    £200

My isp, Virgin don't do lower contention rates than 50:1, but looking around, Demon have a 20:1 Home office package for £26.99. Only problem is I gotta give 50 notes to Virgin to "please release me, let me go"

I would complain about the service and check the t&c to see if there is a way to say the service is not good enough and you want out.

Spending a few hours complaining can save you a lot of money.

Once got a refund on a non refundable cathay paffic ticket as expedia gave me poor service in dealing with an enquiry (long story) took a few emails and phone calls but well worth it.

Most employees in customer service just want an easy life and are not worried about spending the companies money as long as they don't get any complaints which go to their line manager.

ISP T&C ...they cover everything, including they can give you a crap service, limit your bandwidth, charge extra when they want, etc, and the OFCOM/OFT does bugger all about it.

Problem with ISP's is they are not LAWFULLY bound to give you the release code.
    Keith - Administrator

I don't think thats quite how it works. if you register your roaming PI phone, then its only 1 peso - they also have computer accounts, which may well be 2.5pesos.

Going a bit off topic, the skype wifi (mobile) phones seem like they can put vodafone out of business.
    In the us mobile carriers are ensuring phones don't have wifi if at all possible to stop voip phones taking off. But the newer phones like the nokia e61 have voip capablities.

Vodafone and the others i think from what i read are looking at going down the voip route (they have no other option imo)which might be good news for all of us if it makes calling phill as cheap as calling the uk.

ISP T&C ...they cover everything, including they can give you a crap service, limit your bandwidth, charge extra when they want, etc, and the OFCOM/OFT does bugger all about it.

Problem with ISP's is they are not LAWFULLY bound to give you the release code.
    I agree they do put a lot of cover alls in the small print, but still worth a go imo.

I work for a large IT company and I am amazed what we as a company will write off and how when decisions on compenstation or deaing with situations how much leeway is given to fairly low ranking employees.

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    ....it makes calling phill as cheap as calling the uk.
    It's already free...how much cheaper do you want?
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    I agree they do put a lot of cover alls in the small print, but still worth a go imo.

I work for a large IT company and I am amazed what we as a company will write off and how when decisions on compenstation or deaing with situations how much leeway is given to fairly low ranking employees.
    But your not an ISP, they have control of your testicles, your IT company will not even get near your customers boxies
    Keith - Administrator

Please excuse me for being a complete technical dunce and technophobe but what equipment and internet connection will they need in the R.P for me to call them for free?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Please excuse me for being a complete technical dunce and technophobe but what equipment and internet connection will they need in the R.P for me to call them for free?
    both ends must have skype downloaded in their pc, a dsl connection and a VOIP phone but a mic will do. Those things works for me before.not sure about the extras now...maybe keith can share more info.

Just a pc, dsl & a mic

Work out how much you spend on calls, how long you'll be calling the Phil, and price up a computer & broadband out there, bet ya can save money
    Keith - Administrator

I mean from mobiles at the moment the data costs outweigh the savings on the telephone call.

But your not an ISP, they have control of your testicles, your IT company will not even get near your customers boxies
    Im no expert on isps nor wish to be and have to say i have stuck with bt since getting adsl. But when the service level has dropped they soon sorted out the problem and i made sure i got refunded for poor service. I understand where your coming from i can remeber the mobile phone companies messing people around if they wanted to quit, get a puk code or transfer a number but slowly it changed.

Hopefully the same will happen with the isps as customers wise up to who to avoid.

In the majority of our customers we do have control of their testicles due to our service contracts.
    If they mess us round we have withdrawn/reduce our services software, hardware and/or techincal support and trust me that could bring a company to its knees very quickly.
    But after a while we would have few customers as customers would move to other companies once their contracts were finished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information