Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: windows 7 discounted

Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi1 View Post
    well i used it over 3 months best o/s i ever used. xp was great,i liked vista too but this is better than both. but not going to argue the point each entitltled to his own view but this will become the main o/s for the majority of users in a few years time when xp no longer supported.
    xp will be around for many years, how many companies will pay or go thru the hassle of upgrading h/w and the o/s ? ' the old saying 'if it works, don't fix it '

i think xp will be supported for a long time to come, ms already changed the date at least once..

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    xp will be around for many years, how many companies will pay or go thru the hassle of upgrading h/w and the o/s ? ' the old saying 'if it works, don't fix it '

i think xp will be supported for a long time to come, ms already changed the date at least once..
    a twin tub washing machine works but we prefer automatics,
    i spend a lot of time fixing pcs etc and i wanna go with the new technology and by doing so i learn more and more bout it-it's the future,seem to remember this type of discussion before wen xp came out-new fangled rubbish lol
    companies will pay for it like they upgraded in the past-we move on.

I know plenty of Large and small firms which might be testing windows 7 in 2010 but i doubt few will implment and roll out windows 7. So 49 percent might have a number of licenses but many of the users will not be using i bet.

Rolls out take two years almost in large international companies.

I think i would take that survey by IDC with a pinch of salt.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

i spend a lot of time fixing pcs etc and i wanna go with the new technology and by doing so i learn more and more bout it-it's the future,seem to remember this type of discussion before wen xp came out-new fangled rubbish lol

That used to be true but most companies are content with what they have and it works. In the IT industry things working ie "up time" is the most important target in most areas even over increases in performance.

Also many people in IT admin will not want to work on a new install.
    Management dont wanna rock the book on cost or change not in todays climate.
    Support tickets increase due to users not knowing what to do, and that will be after Training costs will have increased.

One thing i keep hearing is oh win 7 boots up far faster than xp, people have their first cuppa of the day during that boot up.

Its cheaper in support and admin costs to upgrade the laptop/desktop and change the image and scripts as needed which is not much and the company supplying the device will provide all the drivers and often work on the image and scripts from my experience. The performance increase in the device every three years ensure most departments in a company are happy.

D0 remeber most companies still use office xp or 2003 with Windows XP and of all the companies I have visited all people moan is the computer is old or slow..

Various bits of the GUI would annoy those in offices who just want what they know and the pc thingy to work.

i use to install dos (3.1) and windows 3.11 on pc's many, many years ago where i use to work, it was a big jump from going from windows 3.11 to windows 95, that jump to me has never happened again..

not from 95 to 98, or to win millennium, win2k, xp, vista or i doubt win 7..
    so for most people there is no reason to buy it.. and how many companies who buy new pc's will put xp back on them ??

i can tell you from where i work now, we refurbish 100's of portables a week, and they all have xp on

but then i've never been one of those type of people, who had to have the latest mobile, pc, processor, o/s or whatever .............

ok ok i think we all have different views,lets leave this discussion for a year or so and see how things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    D0 remeber most companies still use office xp or 2003 with Windows XP and of all the companies I have visited all people moan is the computer is old or slow..

just a reason to blame their pc for their Skiving

i remember the days of the zx81 laoding from tape, i think everyone thru time moans how long a pc takes to boot up, load a web page or download a file, today technology has moved on, but were just transferring a lot more info

and what happened about Linux ? and vista, will win 7 go thee same way ??

long live xp

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    just a reason to blame their pc for their Skiving

i remember the days of the zx81 laoding from tape, i think everyone thru time moans how long a pc takes to boot up, load a web page or download a file, today technology has moved on, but were just transferring a lot more info

and what happened about Linux ? and vista, will win 7 go thee same way ??

long live xp
    The point about the computer was that they blame the hardware more than the OS. Upgrade their Device and from what I hear they are happy. Change the look of the os and you got problems.
    Many companies still use the classic view both for performance and to reduce calls particularly in the past if they were used to w2k or even win 98 to a degree.

Load everything back on the device as previously as long as they can find the on off button on the new device i doubt they will have any problems.

XP is fine if you use only a few bits of software, but I got blue screens every other day with all the stuff I have to run. Don't get any on Vista as the error control is much better.
    Keith - Administrator

and windows 7 better than both

and windows 7 better than both
    I haven't ried my 5.5M files on it yet and lots of hardware
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I haven't ried my 5.5M files on it yet and lots of hardware
    well you will like it when you do

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    XP is fine if you use only a few bits of software, but I got blue screens every other day with all the stuff I have to run. Don't get any on Vista as the error control is much better.
    Exactly most people use very few software applications in routine work and any tailor made software should be tested and optimized for the setup.
    Most XP drivers, AV and VPN's if a laptop are so well known to the admins and tested in the enviroment they rarely cause many issues. But they keep a steady rate of work which is easy to solve (ideal keeps you being needed but no worries if your an admin)

Office, adobe acrobat, internet explorer and lotus notes or Outlook and thats your lot for a huge number of users.

Power users might use might more but many will use virtual machines to run those devices or apples, for example adobe creative products. Often these users have better speced devices have better overall pc user skills which helps a great deal
    Even many of the applications which used to make pc's fall over ie the specialized taliored company database etc such as our oracle system at work is virtual and many of the other apps are web based so only partly running on the device sitting in front of the users.

So yeah people using loads of applications using here and there I agree you might want a better platform, but for many its simply overkill.

To make most companies upgrade Microsoft would need to cut dead all updates being issued and provide the upgrade of Windows 7 as cheap as chips. Then having seen many systems and networks on me travels they are still using ie 6 and some are just installing sp2 let alone sp3 By they way many of these are ones where your infomation maybe processed ie Public sector organsations

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Exactly most people use very few software applications in routine work and any tailor made software should be tested and optimized for the setup.
    Most XP drivers, AV and VPN's if a laptop are so well known to the admins and tested in the enviroment they rarely cause many issues. But they keep a steady rate of work which is easy to solve (ideal keeps you being needed but no worries if your an admin)

Office, adobe acrobat, internet explorer and lotus notes or Outlook and thats your lot for a huge number of users.

Power users might use might more but many will use virtual machines to run those devices or apples, for example adobe creative products. Often these users have better speced devices have better overall pc user skills which helps a great deal
    Even many of the applications which used to make pc's fall over ie the specialized taliored company database etc such as our oracle system at work is virtual and many of the other apps are web based so only partly running on the device sitting in front of the users.

So yeah people using loads of applications using here and there I agree you might want a better platform, but for many its simply overkill.

To make most companies upgrade Microsoft would need to cut dead all updates being issued and provide the upgrade of Windows 7 as cheap as chips. Then having seen many systems and networks on me travels they are still using ie 6 and some are just installing sp2 let alone sp3 By they way many of these are ones where your infomation maybe processed ie Public sector organsations
    don't think we going to agree on this one. xp has been great but we will move on its inevitable.this is the best o/s so far and is the succesor to xp.of cause it wont happen overnight and will be years before its as popular as xp but i believe it will.if i were to agree with your view it's like admitting in 20 years time we will still be using xp-we wont and thats a fact.i have been using w7 for months and its just got better and better and i loved xp before but this is better.

don't think we going to agree on this one. xp has been great but we will move on its inevitable.this is the best o/s so far and is the succesor to xp.of cause it wont happen overnight and will be years before its as popular as xp but i believe it will.if i were to agree with your view it's like admitting in 20 years time we will still be using xp-we wont and thats a fact.i have been using w7 for months and its just got better and better and i loved xp before but this is better.
    In 20 years we wont be using windows 7 either

As mentioned I very much doubt if the OS we all know at the moment will be around for that much longer so to get five years out of Windows 7 to make it cost effective. Which lets say a company takes 18 months from today to fully roll out takes us to 2016

But like Joe says it would take something massive to change most companies at the moment. Windows 95 massive leap and xp a massive leap. Both XP took years to supersed nt and win 98.

Microsoft would be better off at the moment and it seems its working to encourage the keen pc user to use and sing the praises of and load on to less I.T intrested/skilled peoples pc's.
    Then slowly people will if its real good at what they need be mentioning to IT departments.

Happened with both the blackberry and Iphone in many companies where people particulalry in postions of power requested even demanded them

im still on windows 98,what you lot talking about?
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    im still on windows 98,what you lot talking about?
    It does have a big user guide do you need any help with the big words

i wish i had never started the thread lol.I was just trying to save people money!
    anyway i'm not carrying on in this discussion i may be wrong i may be right,lets wait and see.

all those who are still using xp who thought vista, i'll stick with xp, not worth the hassle and money, many will be thinking the same now about windows 7, better it maybe but until i need to use , i'll not be

i wish i had never started the thread lol.I was just trying to save people money!
    anyway i'm not carrying on in this discussion i may be wrong i may be right,lets wait and see.

its a discussion , you have your point of view, and i have mine,plus i just say things to get any to reply

Respected Member
    I've been an internet fan but this is the first time I saw Windows 7. Well last night really after visiting this thread. Looks like a mac brother. The only problem is not many programs are win 7 compatible. Software companies are now probably struggling to rewrite all their products. Unless there is a downloadable script that will read xp and vista programs by new win 7.

Most companies I know never upgarded to Vista because of the major problems they suffered when updating to XP.

Some companies have to spend £Millions testing a single patch before installing it across the network of systems. Upgrading a totally new OS can take years of testing.

Strange thing was that software I'd written didn't work from ME to XP, and yet that ME software now works on Vista!
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nparvus1202 View Post
    I've been an internet fan but this is the first time I saw Windows 7. Well last night really after visiting this thread. Looks like a mac brother. The only problem is not many programs are win 7 compatible. Software companies are now probably struggling to rewrite all their products. Unless there is a downloadable script that will read xp and vista programs by new win 7.
    lots of prgrams are w7 compatible-im using them!
    how many people critisizing windows 7 have actually spent months using it?
    i have so i know what i'm talking about on a personal use-not buisness use.
    of course it will take ages to have this on many millions of pcs thats how things are.i'm saying people i have spoke to and have actually used it like it and think its a good o/s.also for the pre-order price of less than £50 its a bargain.

Respected Member
    Well if there are a lot of programs that are already compatible, then only one thing is certain, codes must be the same as xp or vista with new interface added. And if that is correct then xp and vista users might delay the upgrade. The download for win7 RC are still ongoing anyway, I will have time to test it. Install it in the other partition. Lets see.

of course it will take ages to have this on many millions of pcs thats how things are.i'm saying people i have spoke to and have actually used it like it and think its a good o/s.also for the pre-order price of less than £50 its a bargain.
    Im not Critisizing W 7 but just dont see the take up being as fast as MS say and with MS now deciding not to have a ie less version for europe it may all change price wise in the upward direction at first.

But i belive within a year (when most people will bother looking at once afters have tested) due to competion (google and apple are about to be battered in the US and the EU will soon follow no doubt as big fines can be imposed ) that we will have very very cheap os avaiable which will be enough for the majority of occasional users.

I can say from our testing yes it does seem to run far better than Vista and often XP, it also improves performance on low spec devices but that being a plus point depends on the cost of a unit to the company (lease or purchased) compared to the cost of an entire os,drivers and applications.

If you are buying a pc then make sure you get a free upgrade to windows seven included if at all possible or wait if the choice is Vista.

But if your pc running ok and what not, dont rush out unless you can spare the cash would be my advice.

If you pre-order windows 7 professional from P.C world it is 99.99.
    if you buy it in October when is released it will cost 220 english pounds.

Respected Member
    I have to agree, just installed my copy of the final RTM build (build 7600) on my main development PC (I'm an MSDN subscriber) and I moved to the 64 bit version this time so I was just asking for trouble in the compatibility stakes but I have been very pleasantly surprised.

The new version is fast, looks good, sems pretty stable and lets me load a ridiculous number of simultaneous instances of Visual Studio without getting any slower, so they have defintely improved the memory management this time round.

All in all I really like it, definately the best version of Windows to date.

I do understand what others are saying though, the cost of a rollout of a new desktop OS is a horendous expense for most businesses. However I do think that any business that was about to implement a Vista rollout should skip it and opt for Windows 7 instead, it's unlikely that there will be that many differences in terms of hardware compatibility between Vista and Windows 7.

The move to 64 bit is a much bigger step though but I think Windows 7 will finally get the 64 bit ball rolling the built in XP virtulization "Windows XP mode".

Jim

just had it confirmed my 4 copies on the way! now to make a killing

I think it was on ZDnet i saw an article recently ( a few hours back possibly) and I have heard of other companies doing testing where they are testing snow lepoard agaisnt W7 and both have their strong/weak points. Will be intresting if Apple let the next release after Snow lepoard really go up agaisnt the current windows.

We may have three mainstream OS's in a few years which will be intresting..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information