Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
XP is fine if you use only a few bits of software, but I got blue screens every other day with all the stuff I have to run. Don't get any on Vista as the error control is much better.
Exactly most people use very few software applications in routine work and any tailor made software should be tested and optimized for the setup.
Most XP drivers, AV and VPN's if a laptop are so well known to the admins and tested in the enviroment they rarely cause many issues. But they keep a steady rate of work which is easy to solve (ideal keeps you being needed but no worries if your an admin)

Office, adobe acrobat, internet explorer and lotus notes or Outlook and thats your lot for a huge number of users.

Power users might use might more but many will use virtual machines to run those devices or apples, for example adobe creative products. Often these users have better speced devices have better overall pc user skills which helps a great deal
Even many of the applications which used to make pc's fall over ie the specialized taliored company database etc such as our oracle system at work is virtual and many of the other apps are web based so only partly running on the device sitting in front of the users.

So yeah people using loads of applications using here and there I agree you might want a better platform, but for many its simply overkill.

To make most companies upgrade Microsoft would need to cut dead all updates being issued and provide the upgrade of Windows 7 as cheap as chips. Then having seen many systems and networks on me travels they are still using ie 6 and some are just installing sp2 let alone sp3 By they way many of these are ones where your infomation maybe processed ie Public sector organsations