Thread: Schegen visa appointment booking

Schegen visa appointment booking

just want to ask your experience how you book your appointment to submit your schengen visa application?

I tried to book online but no avail.i phoned the booking appointment service but no luck.

can i just go to the french embassy and queue without appointment?

Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
    just want to ask your experience how you book your appointment to submit your schengen visa application?

I tried to book online but no avail.i phoned the booking appointment service but no luck.

I would say that you'll have to book your appointment in advance but it might be different from embassy to embassy.
    Try to take a look at this link, hope it will be of help to you
    Getting French VISA
    Good luck
    Jiri & Maricel

Quote Originally Posted by Ji&Ma View Post
    I would say that you'll have to book your appointment in advance but it might be different from embassy to embassy.
    Getting French VISA
    Good luck
    i agree with Ji&Ma, i also needed schnegen visa for our trip to disneyland france, i thought of doing the same last year but my instinct told me that i should ring to book an appointment. i was scheduled 1 1/2 mos after calling (it was peak season in view of school holidays). while i was on the queue (we have to queue for interview/submission of docs) and some filipinos went there without any booking. the guard at the embassy told them that they couldn't submit their docs without prior booking. have you looked at their website? the annoying thing is you couldn't ring to ask questions, it will be just a stupid answering machine and it's a premium rate number as well. i hope i was able to help. happy trip.
    "Success is not about how much money you have; it's about the choices you can make in life"

Getting French VISA
    Good luck
    thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite78 View Post
    i agree with Ji&Ma, i also needed schnegen visa for our trip to disneyland france, i thought of doing the same last year but my instinct told me that i should ring to book an appointment. i was scheduled 1 1/2 mos after calling (it was peak season in view of school holidays). while i was on the queue (we have to queue for interview/submission of docs) and some filipinos went there without any booking. the guard at the embassy told them that they couldn't submit their docs without prior booking. have you looked at their website? the annoying thing is you couldn't ring to ask questions, it will be just a stupid answering machine and it's a premium rate number as well. i hope i was able to help. happy trip.
    oh my.we are planning to visit france next month.you were scheduled 1 1/2 months after calling, what will be my case?

oh my.we are planning to visit france next month.you were scheduled 1 1/2 months after calling, what will be my case?
    that was last year baka you'll have more luck this time. try calling them minsan kasi they have cancellations. and if you managed to book an earlier appointment make sure ihanda mo yung whole day mo sa french embassy, i was there for 6 hours and unfortunately since pinoy passport holder ako i was not able to get my visa that day , i have to go back again after 4 weeks for the issuance of my visa.
    "Success is not about how much money you have; it's about the choices you can make in life"

that was last year baka you'll have more luck this time. try calling them minsan kasi they have cancellations. and if you managed to book an earlier appointment make sure ihanda mo yung whole day mo sa french embassy, i was there for 6 hours and unfortunately since pinoy passport holder ako i was not able to get my visa that day , i have to go back again after 4 weeks for the issuance of my visa.
    thank you so much

It's funny, but Myrna & I have been debating for months now about going to Paris for a few days on a belated honeymoon, Esther. And we most probably would've done so earlier ... had it not been for all the palaver involved in a British husband taking his Filipina wife to France. OUR nearest French Consulate is in Edinburgh ... only an hour's train ride from where we live ... and so *distance is no problem for us. Not being aware of where YOU'RE located, however, I wouldn't know how *this factor affects you. If you stay in England or Wales, then it's probable you'll have to travel to London.

That's strange! Because I phoned Edinburgh and managed to get through OK. But, nice as the lady to whom I spoke sounded, I just couldn't quite follow what she was saying [in a broken-English accent] because of my ongoing hearing problems.

Ideally that's what WE'D like to do too!! But having read [and quoted below] the posts submitted by Jiri & Maricel and Aphrodite (the latter being based on HER own experience) I don't think this can be done.

Getting French VISA
    Good luck
    Many thanks for your valuable input, folks.

Hi Esther, they're right, you have to book in advance and they will give you a reference number for when you need to drop by and submit your documents. When I went to the embassy a few months ago, I've seen a chinese girl who does not have any appointments, but hoping to get accommodated as walk-in applicant. She was not accommodated at all, and even had a heated argument with someone from the embassy. So not to waste your time as well, just try and phone them before you go.

taken from embassy website http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Where-to-apply.html

There is no appointment system in operation at the French Consulate in Edinburgh, appointments are made through the information line 0906-550 8940 (£1/ min.) only for The French Consulate in London .

Open to the public Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 11:30 am. Admission will be on a first-come, first-served basis, therefore, we strongly recommand that you come at 9:30 am. Except public holidays

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post

There is no appointment system in operation at the French Consulate in Edinburgh, appointments are made through the information line 0906-550 8940 (£1/ min.) only for The French Consulate in London .

Open to the public Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 11:30 am. Admission will be on a first-come, first-served basis, therefore, we strongly recommand that you come at 9:30 am. Except public holidays
    Thanks, Rusty for posting this link. It's good to know that applicants are catered for on a "Walk-in" basis at the Edinburgh Consular Office ... one of the FEW benefits available to travellers from Scotland ... providing clients bring all the documents needed with them.

But one thing still puzzles me. And that is the mention of fees in the link. I'd been led to believe Schengen Visas were issued *FREE [*for a change!] ... again, on submission of the necessary paperwork. So what IS the situation *here? Do you - or does anyone - know for certain? I mean, it's implied that the visas ARE issued free of charge to spouses of what're referred to as 'European' Citizens (which, in the broader sense, I am) but has this been narrowed down to include people from the British Isles?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Thanks, Rusty for posting this link. It's good to know that applicants are catered for on a "Walk-in" basis at the Edinburgh Consular Office ... one of the FEW benefits available to travellers from Scotland ... providing clients bring all the documents needed with them.

But one thing still puzzles me. And that is the mention of fees in the link. I'd been led to believe Schengen Visas were issued *FREE [*for a change!] ... again, on submission of the necessary paperwork. So what IS the situation *here? Do you - or does anyone - know for certain? I mean, it's implied that the visas ARE issued free of charge to spouses of what're referred to as 'European' Citizens (which, in the broader sense, I am) but has this been narrowed down to include people from the British Isles?
    Hi Arthur - been looking at that link from Rusty and at web of other embassy (Czech Republic) and it seems to me that you are right - Schengen visa should be free for spouse of EU citizen:

From the web of French Embassy (French visa fee) :
    Visa application remain free of charge for some categories of applicants (children dependant, under the age of 21/spouses of European nationals) ONLY if the appropriate documentation* is provided when lodging the application.

From the web of Czech Embassy (Czech visa - spouse of EU citizen) :
    FAMILY MEMBERS OF EU CITIZENS who require a visa
    You can apply for a visa either in person at the Czech Embassy in London or by post. It takes about one week (maximum 14 days) to obtain a visa. It is free of charge. It is also possible to apply for a visa on arrival, at a border crossing point.

*Documentation = marriage certificate + leave to remain - requirement of both embassies...

Hope it helps
    Jiri & Maricel

Respected Member
    Hi Arthur - been looking at that link from Rusty and on web of other embassy (Czech Republic) and it seems to me that you are right - Schengen visa should be free for spouse of EU citizen:

Visa application remain free of charge for some categories of applicants (children dependant, under the age of 21/spouses of European nationals) ONLY if the appropriate documentation* is provided when lodging the application.

You can apply for a visa either in person at the Czech Embassy in London or by post. It takes about one week (maximum 14 days) to obtain a visa. It is free of charge. It is also possible to apply for a visa on arrival, at a border crossing point.

*Documentation = marriage certificate + leave to remain - requirement of both embassies...

Hope it helps
    When my wife used do need these things she got a couple from different Embassies and I never paid for them.

But I have heard that nowadays some of the Embassies are using VFS to manage their visa system, and they may try to charge an admin fee.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    But I have heard that nowadays some of the Embassies are using VFS to manage their visa system, and they may try to charge an admin fee.
    Yes, the visa is free but VFS charge an admin fee, £24

We have just submitted an application for Sweden and although we had to book an appointment 2 weeks in advance, we still had to take a number and wait.

After over 30 minutes of waiting and still around 6 people before us, I complained to the lady processing the applications why, if we had to book an appointment, we still have to queue?

As we had our 11 month old son with us, I think she took pity on us as when she finished the next person, she called us over.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post

Thanks for the link Rusty. I got invitation from my friend in Paris and offered me free accommodation and food. I'm eager to go but no british passport yet so I need to apply visa and pay fees.

ocuments needed with them.

I am confused now if I can get it free. Please update me Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Thanks for the link Rusty. I got invitation from my friend in Paris and offered me free accommodation and food. I'm eager to go but no british passport yet so I need to apply visa and pay fees.
    Yes Penny - I assume you are spouse of EU citizen so it should be FREE for you
    See my previous post in this thread (#12) hope it will be of help...
    Jiri & Maricel

Hi Arthur - been looking at that link from Rusty and at web of other embassy (Czech Republic) and it seems to me that you are right - Schengen visa should be free for spouse of EU citizen:

Hope it helps
    Many thanks, Jiri & Maricel ... it's very helpful indeed!

Respected Member
    From what I remember when my wife applied for a Schengen Visa four years ago, you can apply by post if you don't live near to London.

If you do live near London (have a look at the French Embassy website for full details) be prepared for a long wait.

They book loads of people at the same time and if you want to be first in the queue get there very early. My wife was there for about four hours to hand her application in and the about five hours to colllect her Visa.

Most of the time was spent waiting with the actual processing taking only about five minutes each time.

My wife got one recently,you can apply online, through french consulate,you get an appointment date and time ,print it off and take it with you on the day but be prepared for the long wait as my wife had her appointment for 2pm , she was still in a long q at 4 when I rang her . I rang the french embassy at this stage and was told that everyone would be seen no matter how long yhe q was and she was processed shortly afterwards , just make sure you have what they ask for and you wont have a problem , and its FREE
    M&M

Quote Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
    My wife got one recently,you can apply online, through french consulate,you get an appointment date and time ,print it off and take it with you on the day but be prepared for the long wait as my wife had her appointment for 2pm , she was still in a long q at 4 when I rang her . I rang the french embassy at this stage and was told that everyone would be seen no matter how long yhe q was and she was processed shortly afterwards , just make sure you have what they ask for and you wont have a problem , and its FREE
    i tried to book online.but the the entire august is fully booked already.

i tried to book online.but the the entire august is fully booked already.
    Its a busy time of the year
    M&M

Banned
    Yes Penny - I assume you are spouse of EU citizen so it should be FREE for you
    See my previous post in this thread (#12) hope it will be of help...
    Wow! Thanks Jand Maricel.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
    Its a busy time of the year
    so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    That's mainly what I'd been wanting to find out too, Penny. And judging from subsequent replies posted here, it looks like you CAN get the VISA free ...

... although, Darren's source would seem to indicate that there MAY be a [?small] administrative fee charged if VFS handles an application.

Visa application fee
    As of the 1st of January 2007, the visa administrative fees will be 60€ (transit, airport transit, short stay, DOM-TOM or countries represented by the French Consulate), which must be paid in pound Sterling only. The fee is accorded to the exchange rate of the British Pound against the Euro, so varies between £45 and £60.

Exact amount.

Some concessions will apply:

- The visa will be free of charge, on presentation of the appropriate evidence to*:
    children under the age of 6 applying for a short stay Schengen visa;
    French teachers;
    researchers travelling to France in order to conduct scientific researches;
    teachers and children travelling on a school trip;
    spouses of French Nationals;
    spouses of European Union citizens;
    dependant children, under the age of 21, of European Union citizens, all but French nationals;
    dependant parents of European Union citizens, all but French nationals;
    holders of diplomatic, service and official passports.

* The decision not to charge the visa application fees will be made by the Visa Officer on the day you apply.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Visa-application-fee.html

Respected Member
    That's mainly what I'd been wanting to find out too, Penny. And judging from subsequent replies posted here, it looks like you CAN get the VISA free ...

... although, Darren's source would seem to indicate that there MAY be a [?small] administrative fee charged if VFS handles an application.
    Both the Belgium and Italian Embassies in London use VFS who will charge you a fee (£24 I think). I'm not sure if any others use VFS. I do wonder if this is how things are going to go - all Embassies outsourcing to VFS. Otherwise spouses of EU citizens are just going to avoid Embassies that use VFS, and overload the ones who don't.

Thread Information